Thread: Bowen Byram

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Bowen Byram

I'm just trying to gauge how good Byram is going to be. I assume he's at least 1 year away from playing in the show but he seems to be the real deal. I guess what I'm looking for is which NHLer he compares to most and what his upside point-wise is going to be. I have seen him be ranked anywhere from the 4th ranked prospect to 15th. Thanks.
    12 team dynasty, weekly H2H, daily starts
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1UTL, 2G, 7 Bench - 23 player roster, unlimited farm system
    Cats - G, A, PTS, +/-, PIMS, PPP, SHP, Hits, SOG, BS, W, GAA, S%, S and SO

C - Crosby, MacKinnion, Bergeron, Kopitar and Pageau
    LW - Marchand, Pacioretty, Nugent-Hopkins (C) and Vrana
    RW - Stone, Voracek, Duclair (LW), T. Wilson and Tanev (LW)
    D - Hedman, Doughty, Trouba, Weber and Giordano
    G - Holtby, Binnington, Quick and M. Koskinen
    Farm
    Highlights - Cernak, V. Soderstrom, T. Harley, V. Heinola, R. Andersson, C. Garland, C. Grundstrom, P. Kochetkov
    Picks - 2020 1st, 2nd, 4th and 5th

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Re: Bowen Byram

Impossible to predict how Byram will be as an NHL'er because he's so young. I've seen him play a couple of times. He's not a highlight-reel type in the Hughes/Makar mold, as in you don't necessarily notice him throughout the game. But, he seems to be on the ice constantly, like dominant juniors tend to be, and by the end of the game he somehow has a couple of points. He makes smart, economical decisions - outlets, good reads, but not a lot of coast-to-coast plays, although he knows when to, and is very capable of, taking the puck the length of the ice.

But he is also needs to mature and given that he's only 17 (and a June birthday which makes him one of the youngest of the draft eligibles) that's hardly a surprise. He makes mistakes and takes stupid penalties that contribute to his high PIMs, and costs his team goals, but then comes back and creates goals or scores himself to make up for it. Not a bold statement, but I think he really needs his next two years of junior to develop and mature, which is why it's hard to say how he'll end up as an NHL'er. I don't think he's elite, but if I had to guess at this early juncture I would say second pairing with decent PP production - not a 25-minute, all-situations type.

If I was doing a fantasy draft I wouldn't take him over the top 10 or so forwards, if only because he's several years away from significant NHL production.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Corey Pronman answered questions yesterday on The Athletic and, had Byram (like he plays now at his age) been part of the 2018 draft, he would be ranked right behind Quinn Hugues. Now that doesn't speak of his future fantasy output necessarily, but still this early opinion on him is exciting.
    10-team Pts only, 19-man roster, 9F, 4D, 2G, 4bench 95M cap league
    F: T.Tompson Pasta Kaprizov Rantanen Gaudreau Necas Greig Zegras Vilardi
    D: Josi Bouchard Sandin Sanheim
    G Shesterkin Samsonov
    B: Woll Perfetti Poitras
    Farm: Guenther, Will Smith

The Great One

Dmen are so hard to gauge at this age. Bouchard entering his draft year was highly-touted, and after going to Edmonton, many thought he was the answer to their power play and transitional game. One year later, and now people are questioning his skating and wonder if he will make it in the NHL.

My point is I don't know what to make of Byram and I'd be skeptical of anything you hear/read about him!

I've had most of my luck in fantasy hockey grabbing late-blooming dmen, like Klingberg, Gostisbehere, and Gustafsson (in that order) that I tend to stay away from really young dmen just entering the NHL.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Jedi

One guy that never gets mentioned as a comparable, but given how the puck is with Byram with the Giants like an elite Point Guard in the NBA...
    He reminds me so much of Seth Jones when he played for Portland.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Sage

I keep hearing a Doughty comparison in terms of how he plays.

As a Hawks fan I am warming up to the idea of the Hawks taking him at #3 if he the best prospect. Byram and Boqvist and then Jokijarju and either Mitchell or Beaudin as a top 4 works for me. Pods has to be definitively the 3rd best player in order to wait for him IMO.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov