Thread: Elvis Mierzlikins

The Great One

Default Elvis Mierzlikins

Am I getting too excited about this guy?? Contract signing coincides perfectly with Bob leaving and Korpisalo has not shown a ton of 1a starters pedigree so far. Dudes 24 (as is Korpi) so its not like hes even the underager here. Has put up just silly numbers and apparently has Roy-esque confidence- lol! Is 1b a realistic floor for him? Are we maybe lookinjg at the next young franchise netminder for Columbus?? Im trying to scale it back but every article I read is more flattering than the last- lol!! Thoughts?

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Re: Elvis Mierzlikins

I believe CBJ will trade for Quick. Or bring in some sort of viable veteran, maybe trade for Greiss. They are a team with perennial playoff aspirations now, they arent going to grab some joker from the Swiss League and trot him out there three nights a week. He's a good prospect, with a few years seasoning he could be the guy who takes over. But I dont see him necessarily being the guy, theres Veivaleinen and Tarasov in the organization coming up behind so its muddled.

Dobber Sports Jedi

If Panarin, Duchene & Dzingel all leave... I don't think they're even a playoff team next year. If they lose everyone, I can't see them dealing for an aging Quick. They'd look to go quickly into full rebuild & run with Merz & Korps in a platoon, or bring in a cheap G on a 1yr deal to let Merz play in the AHL and get use to the small ice
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Wizard

After training camp and preseason, he could possibly have enough experience of the smaller rink to start the season in the NHL. But I wouldn't be shocked if he was sent to the AHL to start the season. But he's pretty much an NHL goalie already, so I think he's going to be a full-time NHLer at some point next season. 1A/1B is very likely at least for the first year or two but he could take over after that.

Tarasov and Vehvilainen have very good potential as well but they're a couple of years behind, so Elvis gets the first crack at taking that starter's job. I think he has what it takes to take it but nothing is for sure of course.