Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Makar or ....

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Makar or ....

As an Avs fan, maybe I'm looking too much into Makar... So here I am seeking the great advice of the forum!

Chances are he signs with Colorado before the end of the year, which would make him available to be picked up as a FA this season. My thought is, if I don't pick him up then someone else with a less talented D core will and makes him a keeper going into next year.

In a 10 team league with G, A, PIMs, +/-, and PPG as cats, is it crazy to consider keeping him over guys like;

Doughty
    Heiskanen
    Pietrangelo

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Makar or ....

I wouldn't be keeping him over any of those players. Can you make offseason trades?
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    I wouldn't be keeping him over any of those players. Can you make offseason trades?
    That's what I figured the answer would be

We can, so I can pick him up and try and move one of the other 3 plus a forward for an upgrade at F to make room for him... If I can't swing a deal, I'll have to drop him and I doubt he makes it back to me at my pick (anywhere around 8/9/10th pick in the draft). I guess at that point I'm not really losing anything.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Well... does he have to sign before the end of the regular season?

If that's the case - you don't have to worry. UMass is in the Frozen 4. April 11-13th. The week AFTER the NHL regular season ends.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I will likely be in the minority here but I would keep him over AP. Makar is going to be a SUPERSTAR and AP's best years are behind him. He will be running a potent Avalanche PP so his G, A, +/- and PPGs should all be up there. I'm telling you, if you don't keep him you're going to regret it in a couple of years, especially if you're an Avs fan. The latest Hockey News prospects issue lists him as the number one overall prospect. Out of 10 scouts/coaches/GMs they interviewed 9 out of the 10 had him listed at #1, ahead of Hughes, Glass, etc.
    12 Teams Keeper, Weekly H2H, Daily Starts (3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G)
    Skaters: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, FW, HIT
    Goalies: GS, W, L, GAA, SA, SV, SV%, SHO

C - Tavares, Scheifle, Trocheck, Granlund
    LW - BTkachuk, Stamkos, Kurashev, Mittelstadt
    RW - MTkachuk, Miller, Pavelski, Tolvanen, Zetterlund
    D - Dahlin, Josi, Hamilton, Fox, Nurse, Montour, Manson
    G - Sorokin, Saros, Ullmark

FARM:
    RW - Michkov
    LW - Voronkov
    C - Foerster
    D - Hutson, Nikishin
    G - Schmid, Daws, Commesso, Portillo, Prosvetov

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by hockeypoolfanatic View Post
    I will likely be in the minority here but I would keep him over AP. Makar is going to be a SUPERSTAR and AP's best years are behind him. He will be running a potent Avalanche PP so his G, A, +/- and PPGs should all be up there. I'm telling you, if you don't keep him you're going to regret it in a couple of years, especially if you're an Avs fan. The latest Hockey News prospects issue lists him as the number one overall prospect. Out of 10 scouts/coaches/GMs they interviewed 9 out of the 10 had him listed at #1, ahead of Hughes, Glass, etc.
    I agree with this.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Personally I would keep Makar over both Pietrangelo and Heiskanen. No guarantees but he seems like a potential home run D prospect.
    10 Team Keeper League, 15 Keepers (max 2 goalies), 10 prospects, Start 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 3 Utility, 4D, 2G

Stats: G, A, P, +/-, PIMS, SOG, STP; W, SO, SV%, GAA

C: MacKinnon, Scheifele, Larkin, Pavelski (RW)
    LW Panarin, Ehlers , Ovechkin, Verhaeghe (C), Beauvillier, Killorn
    RW: Kucherov, Pastrnak, Wheeler, Mangiapane (LW)
    D: Makar, Hughes, Krug; Pietrangelo, Schmidt, Andersson, Gostibehere
    G: Vasilevskiy, Hellebuyck, Bobrovsky

Prospects: Sorokin (G), Askarov (G), Raymond (LW), Kaliyev (RW), Perfetti (RW), Norris (C), Kaprizov (LW), Hayton (C), Brannstrom (D), Boqvist (D), Clarke (D)

Dobber Sports Padawan

He's a stud. I already have MacKinnon and Rantanen as part of my core and Makar in the minors. Can't wait to see the points pile up in Colorado
    10 Team Fantrax Weekly H2H
    19-Man Roster, 8 Keepers, 12 Minors (<150 NHL Games Kept Free)
    Pos: 3xC / 3xLW / 3xRW / 3xD / 3xG / 1xUtil / 3xBench / 5xIR
    Scoring: (G=1) (A=1) (W=2) (SO=1) (SV=0.05)

2020-21 League Champion 🏆

Re-tooling Season. Keepers moving forward:

C: N.MacKinnon, E.Pettersson, T.Zegras
    LW: A.DeBrincat, A.Svechnikov
    RW: W.Nylander
    D: C.Makar, R.Dahlin

Notable Minors Eligible/Prospects: C.Sillinger, S.Pinto, P.Krebs, F.Lysell, M.Coronato, S.Perunovich, F.Nazar, S.Durzi, S.Skinner

Dobber Sports Master

While this may be true I give it 3-4 years before he makes good on his potential. That's a long time to wait.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    Well... does he have to sign before the end of the regular season?

If that's the case - you don't have to worry. UMass is in the Frozen 4. April 11-13th. The week AFTER the NHL regular season ends.
    Our league allows free agent adds in the offseason, so it's still a move that potentially happens by another owner if I don't pull the trigger first.

While I agree Makar is going to be a superstar, I don't agree that AP's best years are behind him. Chances are if AP didn't get hurt, he would have hit 50+ points again this year. As for Makar running the Avs PP, Barrie has that role locked down unless he gets dealt (which is possible with the backlog of talent at D that the Avs have, but does it really make sense to trade away a 55+ point PP QB?)

Quote Originally Posted by agentzero View Post
    While this may be true I give it 3-4 years before he makes good on his potential. That's a long time to wait.
    This is why I'm hesitant, and while I think it's more in the 1.5-2 year range, I think a 35-40 point rookie year is attainable. I could swallow a 10-15 point loss from AP to Makar, but does Makar hit 35ish points....

Dobber Sports Veteran

It can take a while, look at hedman and trouba. I like to see them play firstly nhl, liking Quinn

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by plug View Post
    It can take a while, look at hedman and trouba. I like to see them play firstly nhl, liking Quinn
    This is true, but Makar's a smaller, different type of Dman. I look at Werenski and see that as a possible immediate impact for Makar.
    That said, he needs the opportunity. No guarantees as Barrie has 1 more year and hasn't been traded yet.
    A lesser hurdle, but a hurdle nonetheless is to pass Girard on the depth charts

Dobber Sports Prodigy

There are, in my opinion, too many guys giving ultra conservative advice. You can be like Jim Benning and chase a win every year, or you can be like Yzerman and set up your team for long-term success. Honestly, I've seen 60 point guys recommended time and time again over potential 80 point guys simply because 'a bird in the hand'. Makar is an elite D in the making. In a points pool especially he's going to be almost impossible to get in a couple of years. Doughty, Heiskanen and Pete are great real life 2 way D, but don't have Makar's offensive skill set. Sure, there's always a risk in young players, but teams that don't take risks end up with a team full of middling players that are competitive but don't reach the mountaintop.

I don't think this one is close. Makar by a country kilometre.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by TornBetween2Pucks View Post
    There are, in my opinion, too many guys giving ultra conservative advice. You can be like Jim Benning and chase a win every year, or you can be like Yzerman and set up your team for long-term success. Honestly, I've seen 60 point guys recommended time and time again over potential 80 point guys simply because 'a bird in the hand'. Makar is an elite D in the making. In a points pool especially he's going to be almost impossible to get in a couple of years. Doughty, Heiskanen and Pete are great real life 2 way D, but don't have Makar's offensive skill set. Sure, there's always a risk in young players, but teams that don't take risks end up with a team full of middling players that are competitive but don't reach the mountaintop.

I don't think this one is close. Makar by a country kilometre.
    I would say the advise in this thread is 50-50. It's a risk taking a prospect without a single NHL game over proven Dmen with a history of 45+pt production (Heiskanen excluded).

No one's doubting Makar's skill set or potential.

but when you look at him NEXT SEASON vs. Doughty/Pietrangelo.
    There's no way anyone could say with any level of certainty Makar can or will keep pace offensively.

it could be 2-4 years before he sees 40 points. Morgan Rielly is my comparable.

It also sounds like a limited keeper.
    The OP didn't clarify specifically (but the phrase 'keep him over') Clearly alludes to this.
    Limited Keepers are different than dynasties.
    If it is a dynasty, there's no minor's system. I doubt it is, as it'd be odd to have to drop one of those Dmen for Makar.
    Strategies are different. Outlooks on players in the short term become paramount.
    If you keep upside players and consistently throw back proven talent, you'll end up at the bottom of the pool every year.

In Keep 12's or less, there's no need for full rebuild's.
    Each year, you gain valuable pieces and slice off the fat.

The OP really would be throwing the dice on keeping a completely unproven talented prospect over a completely proven NHL veteran.
    And if Makar walks in to Colorado and struggles like Draisaitl or Strome his first full season - compared to Doughty putting up 45-55pts.
    It's a fantasy kick in the junk for the 19/20 season.

There's also a big difference between proven 60pt players and 80 point ceiling players.
    Fantasy hockey is mostly about today. Not tomorrow. 60pts today means a lot more than 80pts tomorrow/next year) - especially if that 80pt tomorrow player is giving you 40 now... or in Jr. still.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

That post exactly proved my point. Horror of horrors - you might have to wait 2-3 years to get those points. The weight of consistent, forward-thinking philosophy over safe, staid team building is a wide divide. In a keeper league the only way for consistent success is to realize that your moves aren't for today. The joy and fun in these leagues (and I've been a participant for 35 years) is building a team. Your short-sighted advice flies in the face of logic. Good philosophy brings long-term success. Conservatism kills.