Thread: How do leagues deal with over the cap team(s)?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default How do leagues deal with over the cap team(s)?

Just in general. Working on a cap league for the next season. Curious to hear the opinions on how you guys deal with it whether intentional or not when a team goes over the cap at any point during the season.

Thx in advance

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Re: How do leagues deal with over the cap team(s)?

The easy answer is to just not allow it. Don't process a trade or a waiver pickup or let a team draft a player that would put them over the cap.

Dobber Sports Titan

I think Fantrax allows you to not collect any scoring stats if your team is over the cap. And if you have decent anti tanking rules, that should be a solid deterrent. You could also put in place draft pick or other penalties for number of days over the cap. Basically you just have to make it unplayable to be over, and then no one does.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Superstar

Should be in your league settings, Fantrax doesnt allow to accumulate stats when over cap. Usually those over cap are in running so they will comply pretty quickly. You could also implement rules that last players acquired are dropped till cap compliant.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Thanks to responses! Obviously I failed to mention that it's planned to be on Yahoo so yeah, its more in terms of penalties

Dobber Sports Deity

Just tell teams to not go over the cap. Everyone today owns a calculator and if your league (Yahoo) doesn't do the cap process for you, then everyone should have a spreadsheet to track their salaries. No reason anyone should ever go over the cap.

If, and this is just an IF, someone does go over the cap, they have a day to rectify it or place stiff penalties. Take away their highest draft pick that they own, be it their own or another teams, something like that. I bet you put that rule in place, people will track their salaries pretty damn close.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Novice

Undo any recent roster move that put him over

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Just tell teams to not go over the cap. Everyone today owns a calculator and if your league (Yahoo) doesn't do the cap process for you, then everyone should have a spreadsheet to track their salaries. No reason anyone should ever go over the cap.

If, and this is just an IF, someone does go over the cap, they have a day to rectify it or place stiff penalties. Take away their highest draft pick that they own, be it their own or another teams, something like that. I bet you put that rule in place, people will track their salaries pretty damn close.
    This is the answer BUT I have learned that you are always going to have people that for whatever reason are not compliant almost always due to a mistake rather than trying to cheat. Then, if you are too strict with penalties you run the risk of running off an owner and then you have the headache of trying to find a replacement. The right solution is to find a penalty that appeases everyone but is not so strict as to piss off an owner. With Fantrax it will track the salaries for you but with Yahoo you have to keep track of salaries yourself.

When I ran a salary cap league we issued a warning for the first infraction with the owner immediately rectifying the mistake followed by a forfeiture of a 2nd round draft pick for a second infraction followed by a 1st round pick draft loss if it happened a 3rd time. We never had anyone do it more than once. This seemed to work. Also, the rule was everyone had to manage their own salary cap and that it was their responsibility for the league spreadsheet to be right. They had to self-report any errors and it wasn't my job as commissioner to make sure it was accurate. Plus, everyone was encouraged to police the league and check owners. LOL- I used to closely monitor my main competitors.

By the way, you got any league openings? I am looking for a salary cap league that is starting or was going to start my own this summer.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov