Thread: Am I screwed?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Am I screwed?

I have 14 Starts remaining.
    Murray, Lehner, F Andersen, Mrazek are my four.
    I am 2nd to last in GAA and 5th in SV% in a 10 team Roto.
    Yet I am vying for 3rd place overall!
    I desperately need a few good starts, 1 shutout may even do it!

What would you do, play the matchups and risk ending season with starts on the table? Saves is a category so every start counts.

I'm starting Murray every start, which leaves the following game of who will suck tonight!
    Lehner opponents: @WPG, TOR, TB
    Andersen: @PHI, CAR
    Mrazek: @WAS, WAS, PHI, @PIT, TOR

Maybe it's just time to say F*ck it and go for it. Andersen has already ruin my chances at 2nd place. What a god awful March.
    To think I traded Bob for F Andersen and was laughing when I did it. Oh the karma....

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Am I screwed?

I think you need to do some math on how many points there are to gain in W & Svs, vs losing by not playing every game, and then contrast that with the points to be gained/lost in Sv% and GAA.

Those are some decent goalies, so without knowing more I lean towards jut starting them all and using up all of the starts.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Demi-God

1. Can you list your league standings for:
    i) GAA
    ii) SV%
    iii) SV

2. Yes, typically, you will want to get all of your starts - especially if it is a competitive league.
    Don't forget - if Yahoo! - that you may have 14 starts remaining, but you want to use 13... and then get a double start (assuming start 2G format) on same day - to get an extra start.

***. There IS, sometimes, a key stat where you want to finish above a competitor - because it's a two-point standings change depending on who finishes higher. These are key-cats to monitor.
    Say you have an opponent at .904sv% and you are at .903sv%... you may want to closely watch that.

My BIGGEST recommendation in tight goalie-cat peripherals: FIND/ADD a West Coast goalie that may start the late game on the last Saturday, April 6th.
    The 8 teams that play LATE games: EDM v CGY, WPG v ARI, VGK v LA, COL v SJ.

Teams that are LOCKs for playoffs will *probably* go with their back-up, to rest their starter for Round-1 Playoffs.
    So we might see Brossoit (WPG), Subban (VGK), and/or Dell (SJ) - if those teams have their SEED locked-in.

If you have those goalies - and a start to make - then you can make a SIT/BENCH decision based on your placement in GAA/SV%/SV.
    Right now - all of your goalies, unfortunately, are East Cost goalies... so you don't have "last chess move" - and you should try to find a way to get it IF one of GAA/SV% is very tight with the 3rd/4th challenger.

Good luck!!!

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I have.
    There are 0 Points to gain in Wins, I have 10.
    There are 2 Points to gain in Saves, I have 8.
    The team in 3rd directly above me has a 10 in Shutouts, I have a 8. I need 2 SOs to create a 4 points swing and win 3rd place.
    Getting 2 SOs will be nearly impossible since their matchups are ugly.

There are 5 teams all ranging between 2.789 and 2.874 in GAA. I am on the low end with 2.835.
    There are 7 teams all ranging between .9087 and .9149. I am in the middle at .9102.

Doubt 14 games is enough to move the needle much but a few SOs and you never know.

Can't get those SOs by benching guys. I benched Lehner last game vs ARI because LWL has Greiss as Probable. That one hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    I think you need to do some math on how many points there are to gain in W & Svs, vs losing by not playing every game, and then contrast that with the points to be gained/lost in Sv% and GAA.

Those are some decent goalies, so without knowing more I lean towards jut starting them all and using up all of the starts.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I have 14 total remaining, and all 4 going on that last day so I will be able to go +1 over in starts at G.

Since my key category is SO, it's a dart throw strategy. The guy in 3rd has 12 SO, I have 10.

Which btw, how do I have 10 SOs on the season yet nearly last in ratios! F Andersen has killed me this month. Total sh*t show.

I think I'm just going to use every start I can and hope for the best.

Like Mrazek tonight @ WAS on paper doesn't seem like a start but I will put him in there for the Saves and hopefully only gives up 2-3 goals.

Dobber Sports Titan

Can you catch the two points in saves?
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Can you catch the two points in saves?
    I will only be able to make up 1 point in Saves but every point counts.