Thread: Eichel? Matthews? Laine? Nah

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Eichel? Matthews? Laine? Nah

The next "Ovechkin vs. Crosby" is McDavid vs. Kucherov

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Eichel? Matthews? Laine? Nah

Is this a thread to create discussion or dissention? I can see both happening, especially with Leaf fans.

While I don't argue that McDavid vs Kucherov is what it is, it's still too early in any of their careers to be that skeptical on some of these kids (mainly Eichel). It wasn't too long ago that people were questioning MacKinnon after his slow start to his career and he seems to have found that step. At one point, I would have argued that Matthews could be one of those names too but the Tavares signing has slowed my thoughts on that idea. Laine, he's a fantastic goal scorer but I don't ever see him challenging for an Art Ross trophy. A couple Maurice Richard trophies probably, but not an Art Ross.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Icon

What's the question exactly?

Which two guys are going to win back to back Art Ross Trophies before they turn 23 and then combine for one more over the rest of their careers? I think McDavid will win more Art Ross Trophies then Crosby and Ovechkin combined...by the time he's 24.

Which two first overall picks will begin their NHL careers at the same time? This will probably be Lafreniere and Raty and definitely not Kucherov and McDavid

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    What's the question exactly?

Which two guys are going to win back to back Art Ross Trophies before they turn 23 and then combine for one more over the rest of their careers? I think McDavid will win more Art Ross Trophies then Crosby and Ovechkin combined...by the time he's 24.

Which two first overall picks will begin their NHL careers at the same time? This will probably be Lafreniere and Raty and definitely not Kucherov and McDavid

He's not asking a question, he's making a statement.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

I think the problem with a "rivalry" between McDavid and Kucherov is that they're in different conferences. Crosby and Ovie are in the same division.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Titan

If it's the next rivalry, you can bet Tavares vs Barzal is going to be manufactured hard into existence if they meet in the playoffs.

But really, there is nothing close to the manufactured Ovi vs Crosby rivalry.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Amen.
    Here's to another Caps - Pens clash in the playoffs.
    Points-only keeper league. 12 teams. Keep any 12 players. Dress 12F - 6D - 2G.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Ya, the circumstances surrounding their coming into the league were perfect for a rivalry. Both 1st round picks beginning their career at the same time, the league lacking any other superstars within 2-3 tiers, the division rivalry, both teams working on becoming contenders...

McDavid vs Kucherov doesn't have anything that really links them. Came into the league separately, one heralded, one not as much, teams on opposite ends of the spectrum, different conferences, Eichel, Matthews, MacKinnon and others a tier behind them...

It will never be what Crosby vs Ovechkin is.

Dobber Sports Genius

I don't see a rivalry in the traditional sense, more like a competition between them for the next little bit on who will win the Art Ross.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,, J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov,
    D: Q. Hughes,
    G:Bobrovsky

Dobber Sports Sage

Rivalry? Probably not in the cards just because of where they both play.

But owning them both in a keep 2? I wouldnt trade either of them in a 1 for 1 for any other player in the league. So are they the best two fantasy forwards in hockey right now? Yes.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Axe is correct in that it wasn't a question but rather a statement. The topic is the same topic that spawned so many "Ovechkin vs. Crosby" debates early in their careers. Best player in the NHL and best fantasy pick.

In terms of rivalry, McDavid won't ever really have one. All contenders are in the other conference. I don't think McDavid and Gaudreau or Pettersson are it, and even if Hughes ends up in LA it won't be.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Interesting thread.
    We shall see where this is next year?

TB's got two astronomical contracts to deal with each of the next two summers - both will hinder their ability to put a supporting cast around Kucherov.

1. Brayden Point. RFA this summer. What's he worth? Is the $8.5m-$9m truck will be backing up for both HE and MITCH MARNER...
    2. Andrei Vasilevskiy. RFA 2020. What's he worth? Also... $8.5m-$9m number is right there for him too. Or does TB decide to Ben Bishop him out to make cap space?

Specifically, Brayden Point. Kucherov has 33ppa this year, that extra 10ppa AND the 6gp McDavid has missed, is the statistical point difference between them.
    TB's PP1 unit is insane. TB is going to have to probably move two $5m+ salaries to make room for Point. They MUST keep Point on that PP1.
    Likely we see TB have to find somebody to take Callahan's $5.8m by ADDING a prospect to him. (a la CHI Bickell-Teravainen trade)
    Then TB is probably going to have to move one of Palat/Miller/TJ/Killorn/Gourde.
    And TB's going to have to patch in 3D to fill out their 7... and D ain't cheap these days. (Hedman, McD, Serg, Cernak is only 4 under contract for next year. They need D to at least exit zone and start rushes up ice.)

Meanwhile, EDM is STILL yet to find a dynamic PP1 D-man.
    They will... eventually... every dynamic super-forward in the NHL eventually gets his Coffey or Green/Carlson or Letang.

5 years from now, I think McDavid's at 115 per season, Kucherov's at 105 per season.
    But for now - I can't disagree, they'll be 1-2 or 2-1 in just about every new dynasty and 1-year league next year.

Dobber Sports Guru

I wouldn't count out Gaudreau vs McDavid at some point. If Edmonton can start putting things together and there's a few playoff matchups between the two, that's a rivalry that would take off, especially if Calgary wins the first couple of matchups (similar to Giroux vs Crosby from a few years back). Same division, same province. All the makings are there, but the playoffs are key.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid