Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Tampa Bay looking to break the single-season wins record

Administrator

Default Re: Tampa Bay looking to break the single-season wins record

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post

But I don't think saying "about half" is a fair qualifier.
    Stamkos, Kucherov, Johnson, Palat, Killorn, Hedman, Stralman, and Vas were all obvious future parts of the team in 2014.
    Those 4/3/1 were their protects at the Vegas draft, with Callahan & Namestnikov & Coburn the others.

And they had some good assets:
    Drouin was flipped for Sergachev... and that was a key to skirting an extra player keep across the Vegas draft day.
    Namestnikov+ was flipped for McDonagh/JT Miller.
    TB also moved Bishop, pre-Vegas draft, for picks & Erik Cernak.

Obviously, teams could only protect 7F/3D/1G thru the Vegas draft anyways.
    That's 11/23 rostered players, so yeah, half is about the best anybody could do by a "count".
    But 80% of a team's strength is in the top half of their roster.

Brayden Point AND Yanni Gourde were both in the TB system in 2014. Erne too.
    I don't think anybody knew back then, in fairness, that Point & Gourde would pan out so well.
    That can be said, yes.

But still... it was a good call to foresee that group would blast off...
    (ps. Is there a way to find that thread... golly, what I would give to re-find that thread... maybe 4 years ago... IDK...)
    5 years ago would suggest before the 2014 draft, and therefore before Point was added to the system.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Immortal

Funny story.
    About 5 years, a certain Sens-homer and I were having a discussion (here on the forums) about which team had the longer-range of future success in them.
    I said TB.
    He said OTT.

I'm declaring myself the winner of that discussion.
    hahaha Ev's memory still lives on.

I hope they break it. I've been having a personal dialogue about it on the TB page for the last little bit.

Dobber Sports Guru

Funny story.
    About 5 years, a certain Sens-homer and I were having a discussion (here on the forums) about which team had the longer-range of future success in them.
    I said TB.
    He said OTT.

I'm declaring myself the winner of that discussion.
    I remember that discussion. He had also argued that Ottawa had the better history at that point despite the fact Tampa has had more regular season success, more playoff success and a Cup.

Dobber Sports Monster

They got #58 today

75 games played

4 wins to tie the record

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by StuntMan12 View Post
    They got #58 today

75 games played

4 wins to tie the record
    Just another 7 straight wins. Losing going into the 3rd.....ho hum 4 goals.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    There's been a lot of talk about Tampa breaking the record for most wins and Kucherov scoring over 130 pts, etc, but I don't see either happening.

I hate to say this, but I really think Tampa is going to shutdown a lot of their top players over the next couple of weeks, giving them games off and reducing their playing time. They've already earned the President's Trophy and Kucherov has the Art Ross virtually wrapped up, so there isn't much to play for over the next couple of weeks.

This is really going to suck for me personally because I'm in the final round of my H2H league and I need Point and Kucherov to continue putting up solid numbers if I want a chance to win the Championship.
    For what it's worth, Cooper said before tonight's game that he had no intention of resting any of his top players down the stretch. He said there might be a small decrease in ice time, but nobody would be scratched.
    Ice Cap

Dynasty, 32 team cap league (1:1 NHL Cap/Floor), H2H weekly, points (G: 1 / A: 1 / Blks: 0.1 / HTS: 0.1 / SOG: 0.1 / W: 1 / SO: 1 / SV: 0.05)
    Start 12 F, 6 D, 1 G, 4 Bench, 27 Minors/Prospects

Roster

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by GavinC View Post
    For what it's worth, Cooper said before tonight's game that he had no intention of resting any of his top players down the stretch. He said there might be a small decrease in ice time, but nobody would be scratched.
    I was thinking they would do that as well. Keep your guys in the line-up and keeping them sharp. I get resting them but you don't want to step off the gas pedal going into the play-offs. We will see how this works out for them.

Administrator

Ultimately it'll depend on how the players feel. I'm sure every coach wants to keep his full lineup for all 82 games. If there's an injury that would get better with rest then the player will be resting.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    5 years ago would suggest before the 2014 draft, and therefore before Point was added to the system.
    If we are going to go nitpicking small singular statements (as opposed to the greater picture)... then, let's continue:
    1. Post 2 in thread said "about (5 years ago)".
    2. Quoted post says "Brayden Point AND Yanni Gourde were both in the TB system in 2014".

Both statements are not inaccurate.
    Therefore, it would be inaccurate to suggest they are inaccurate.

[For clarity - I think it is VERY fair to revisit that the strength of TB going forward could have been seen in 2014 (or, it may have been 2015 - I can't recall exactly)... even if it is only HALF a roster count that remains from 2014. I would bet, even money, that average/most NHL teams turn over btw 50%-75% of their roster every 5 years anyways. So... I think it is poor to challenge the general prediction of TB success simply because their team only has about half same-players. Many teams simply flip assets to get better over 5 years. TB had top end young talent and great assets in 2014/2015. That's enough to forecast a team is going to be very good for a long haul. The discussion on Point & Gourde is not backing towards my prediction. But the development of Point & Gourde is further testament that TB's youth development system has been exceptional for several years going back.]

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    I remember that discussion. He had also argued that Ottawa had the better history at that point despite the fact Tampa has had more regular season success, more playoff success and a Cup.
    ^A man with a memory!
    Thank you, sir!!!

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by GavinC View Post
    that is great to hear!
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Fun fact of the day:
    TB is now +100 in goal differential for the year.

The last NHL team to achieve that...
    The 2005-2006 Ottawa Senators!
    http://www.espn.com/nhl/standings/_/season/2006

Dobber Sports Immortal

Fun fact of the day:
    TB is now +100 in goal differential for the year.

The last NHL team to achieve that...
    The 2005-2006 Ottawa Senators!
    http://www.espn.com/nhl/standings/_/season/2006
    Their team is full of statistical anomalies. I love it.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Kucherov has 22 goals in his last 40 games.....and that included a 10 game stretch with no goals and only 6 assists.

Dobber Sports Recruit

So only 3 remained to hit the record, right?

Administrator

If we are going to go nitpicking small singular statements (as opposed to the greater picture)... then, let's continue:
    1. Post 2 in thread said "about (5 years ago)".
    2. Quoted post says "Brayden Point AND Yanni Gourde were both in the TB system in 2014".

Both statements are not inaccurate.
    Therefore, it would be inaccurate to suggest they are inaccurate.

[For clarity - I think it is VERY fair to revisit that the strength of TB going forward could have been seen in 2014 (or, it may have been 2015 - I can't recall exactly)... even if it is only HALF a roster count that remains from 2014. I would bet, even money, that average/most NHL teams turn over btw 50%-75% of their roster every 5 years anyways. So... I think it is poor to challenge the general prediction of TB success simply because their team only has about half same-players. Many teams simply flip assets to get better over 5 years. TB had top end young talent and great assets in 2014/2015. That's enough to forecast a team is going to be very good for a long haul. The discussion on Point & Gourde is not backing towards my prediction. But the development of Point & Gourde is further testament that TB's youth development system has been exceptional for several years going back.]

- - - Updated - - -

^A man with a memory!
    Thank you, sir!!!
    Victory!
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg