Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is my league corrupt?

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Is my league corrupt?

Quote Originally Posted by The Hefty Shaman View Post
    I think you missed the point. No one called me anything, and I am not advocating for anyone. I am trying to objectively convey what happened, and to describe its effect on me and on others in the league. Everyone is afraid of upsetting these few people who have taken it upon themselves to determine all of the rules.
    Can you actually tell us what the rule change was?
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Fantasy hockey should be fun. If it's not fun for you, what's the point?
    This pretty much sums it up for me.

Also, what was the rule change? I think everyone here is curious to know.
    12 Team H2H Keep 6
    Scoring Cats - Players: G, A, P, +/-, PPG, SHG, GWG
    Goalies: W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    Start 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1G (locked in for the week)

C: Malkin, Kuznetsov, Larkin, Couture
    LW: Hall, DeBrincat, Fiala
    RW: Kucherov, J.T. Miller
    D: Theodore, Gustafsson, Pulock
    G: Hellebuyck, Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Prodigy

What is the rule change?

Dobber Sports Newbie

It had to do with altering player valuation and protection - rather significant stuff. I don't want to give away more in case any of my fellow poolies read this. Like I said, I have good relations with all and want to keep that.

The big issue for me was reaction to a challenge, and more importantly, the silence of the commissioner.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Agreeing with everything Pengwin said about rule changes (and the majority here). Rule changes should not be made in-season unless it is an oversight that arises and needs immediate correction.

That being said I cannot tell if the issue here is that the rules were changed mid-season; we would need to know what change occurred to judge OR if the issue is the way the Commissioner went about it.
    Giving the Commissioner the benefit of the doubt let's assume that the rule change was necessary for the benefit of the league and so it was made and announced to everybody. One owner speaks up simply seeking clarification and explanation as to why. The Commissioner should be willing to provide an explanation as to why the previous rules were an issue and how the new rule corrects the issue. If the justification for the rule change is valid then it should easily be defensible. Instead the Commissioner gets all offended and lashes out at the questioner.

Anytime you resort to an ad hominem attack (naming calling) you've lost the argument. Your Commissioner is not a leader he is a dictator shouting down and ridiculing anyone who disagrees with him. My league has had plenty of heated arguments over all aspects of the league including rules, arguments about trades and player value, I've never seen an individual personally attacked in any disagreement as its uncalled for and childish. Fantasy Hockey should be competitive and fun . If your league rules are being altered unfairly and if scared to voice your opinion it may be time to move on from this league.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Superstar

It had to do with altering player valuation and protection - rather significant stuff. I don't want to give away more in case any of my fellow poolies read this. Like I said, I have good relations with all and want to keep that.

The big issue for me was reaction to a challenge, and more importantly, the silence of the commissioner.
    Yeah that's bulls**t. Altering player values in season is just not OK. You draft, acquire and trade for players based on the scoring system, to arbitrarily change it mid season throws a huge wrench in the entire league setup and is not OK. Even if certain players are valued too highly with your league setting any changes need to be laid out in advance, with justification, and teams given ample lead time to adjust accordingly. This is not a case of "oops didn't think of that" where an instant rule needs to be added or altered.

As far as yelling at people for questioning the moves that is also bulls**t. I have no problem speaking my mind so I would be objecting to these changes, if I called out I'm prepared to defend myself. If I get overruled then at least I've had my say. If the Commissioner and company's actions continue down this path you'll have to decide if the hassle of being a part of the league is worth the fun. Good luck with whatever you decide.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Sage

WHAT IS THE RULE CHANGE?

This is hugely important in this discussion. If it was something that absolutely needed to be changed right now for the integrity of the league to remain in tact, we need to know to give a proper opinion.

If it was it was something that solely benefitted the small group implementing the change, we need to know to give an opinion.

If it was something in the middle, we need to know what it was to give a proper opinion.

Regardless, don't be afraid to stand and up and say something if you feel someone is being mis treated, in fantasy hockey and in life. The world is full of passive people that see the wrong thing happening to other people everyday, and they don't say or do anything about it because it's not happening to them. Stand up for others, ask questions, and be kind when you do it.

Edit: My bad I missed the second page where you mention what the rule change was regarding.

I would agree that altering player valuation and protection mid season is not appropriate. Calling someone names and degrading them for questioning it is not appropriate.

It's not just on the commissioner (although he should have definitely stepped in, he has now shown you that he won't), it's on everyone questioning the rule changes and everyone that didn't say anything about the name calling if they felt it inappropriate.

Personally the rule change mid season would be enough for me to leave this league. The fact that the guy that spoke up about it (good on this guy) got demeened for it is just the icing on the cake for me to leave.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Newbie

The rule change was to apply next season, but one owner who disagreed with it was attacked. We are supposed to discuss it this summer, but I am afraid that no one will dare challenge the few for fear of being marginalized.

Dobber Sports Icon

The rule change was to apply next season, but one owner who disagreed with it was attacked. We are supposed to discuss it this summer, but I am afraid that no one will dare challenge the few for fear of being marginalized.
    Listen, nobody here knows you or your personal comfort with confrontation, so maybe its tough for us to provide a definite answer on how YOU should approach it. Only you can prevent forest..wait ..only you can determine how to respond for yourself, and if thats not the way the rest of your league approaches it, or even if its teh same..well i guess you live with the outcomes.

is you league corrupt? possibly. but its up to the rest of the league to keep it in check it if the Commish wont, and if thats the case, id look for another league.
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Foerster, Michkov, Kakko, Toffoli
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Minyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR- Quinn(RW)
    Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Administrator

My personal suggestion: stop being afraid of backlash. It's a part of life. Speak up to your league.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by finnys_fanatsy View Post
    Listen, nobody here knows you or your personal comfort with confrontation, so maybe its tough for us to provide a definite answer on how YOU should approach it. Only you can prevent forest..wait ..only you can determine how to respond for yourself, and if thats not the way the rest of your league approaches it, or even if its teh same..well i guess you live with the outcomes.

is you league corrupt? possibly. but its up to the rest of the league to keep it in check it if the Commish wont, and if thats the case, id look for another league.
    Agree with Finny, and just to take it a step further, if this is a league where you feel that you can't even speak out to offer up changes, then what kind of precedent are you setting for when there actually is an issue?
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

The Great One

I would remain silent.

Are you crazy? Don't say a word!!

Tim and Sid might be meanies and call you names.

Remain good friends with everyone and go along with every rule change people make in your league. You owe them that since they are putting in so much time and effort to keep this league afloat!

Dobber Sports Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    I would remain silent.

Are you crazy? Don't say a word!!

Tim and Sid might be meanies and call you names.

Remain good friends with everyone and go along with every rule change people make in your league. You owe them that since they are putting in so much time and effort to keep this league afloat!
    Tim, Sid and the commissioner might be offended and walk away. The others, the ones who say "whatever", would also walk away. The league would crumble. Not sure I want to be responsible for that. Might be better to bite my tongue and walk away.

Administrator

Tim, Sid and the commissioner might be offended and walk away. The others, the ones who say "whatever", would also walk away. The league would crumble. Not sure I want to be responsible for that. Might be better to bite my tongue and walk away.
    You worry too much. Do what you feel is right and don't worry about the outcome. A few bad words on the internet won't kill you.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Icon

if this is all it takes then the league is on shaky ground already, and Tim, Sid and the Commish are snowflakes to begin with.

Dont worry about offending anybody...to me id have already left if I'm worried about if my questions about a rule change will cave the league.
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Foerster, Michkov, Kakko, Toffoli
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Minyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR- Quinn(RW)