Thread: Fundraising Thread 2.0 [Bragging Rights Contest]

Default Fundraising Thread 2.0 [Bragging Rights Contest]

Hey guys, over the past 10 years I've been leading missions/humanitarian aid trips all over the world with students. We just got back from Mexico and it was probably in the top 3 for me over the past 10 years as far as experience and team dynamic. I've posted in the past about fundraising ideas we've done and have asked you guys for tons of ideas over the years and wanted to share about our newest endeavor and how we're going to raise the money. I've created an adopt-a-box board which essentially has 200 boxes on it from $1 to $200. If you adopt box $150 you give us $150, box $7 is worth $7 etc etc - very simple. Scroll down for a picture of the board - the idea is to clear off every single box revealing the background image and raising money.

CONTEST RULES
    - Take 10 SECONDS to quickly grasp the concept
    - Take a guess at the total we will raise when all 200 boxes are adopted
    - Post your guess (without cheating or thinking for too long because some of you are too smart)!

Spoiler below - feel free to comment without revealing!

The total is actually $20,100! I was blown away when I found out the total while working on this idea, I feel like the board LOOKS like roughly $5,000 or something like that which I think really works in our benefit as people are going to eagerly try and clear this board! We're taking it all over the city with us for pre-organized events so our first one is Saturday at a mall in our city - we've rented out the 'community kiosk' for no charge and they're letting us stand next to this thing and try to adopt as many boxes as possible!

I'll keep you guys posted on how it goes but thought if anyone needs to do any fundraising or campaigns this could be a really neat/fun idea!

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: Fundraising Thread 2.0 [Bragging Rights Contest]

$5000 Is my guess

Dobber Sports Titan

Math is a big part of my job, and I do a lot of it in my head, so I was only off by $100 on my estimate.

Is there something in the "box", or on the back of the cards shown? I feel like having a chance to win something (donated gift, a car wash by you guys, a fancy presentation of the trip/stories/successes when you return) would make it a lot more appealing to put money in on a box.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Math is a big part of my job, and I do a lot of it in my head, so I was only off by $100 on my estimate.

Is there something in the "box", or on the back of the cards shown? I feel like having a chance to win something (donated gift, a car wash by you guys, a fancy presentation of the trip/stories/successes when you return) would make it a lot more appealing to put money in on a box.
    I had some silicone wristbands made so each donation will receive one of those, we also issue tax receipts which are gold haha

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    $5000 Is my guess
    That's what I thought it might be before I did the math - pretty surprising eh!?

Dobber Sports Veteran

I was off by $100 as well.

You could have a draw for some kind of souvenir from the trip, with each person getting the same number of ballot/entries corresponding to the square they adopt.

Quote Originally Posted by saucelife90 View Post
    I was off by $100 as well.

You could have a draw for some kind of souvenir from the trip, with each person getting the same number of ballot/entries corresponding to the square they adopt.
    Nice! In the past we've pulled in upwards of $40,000 through fundraisers so I think we're going to fly through this one without having to up the ante at all!
    Next time I might bump it to 250 numbers!

Dobber Sports Superstar

As was I. I suspect we made the same fundamental error doing the quick math.

My (wrong) calculation was $101x 200 as opposed to the correct: $100.50 x 200
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Nice challenge!
    I'm good at these, so I'll backpat myself with a "nailed it".
    (Noting a mean/median* value at $100.5 is the key, which can be done by looking at the high-low extremes and increment)
    (*Of note, if a $0 box was included, then the median value would be $100 and previous/common guesses would be correct.)
    [It's a concept that comes up when discussing computations like "Dice Roll" value/theory - where actual number values start at 1, and not 0.]

Props to you guys for your efforts.
    Instilling "giving" in youth is difficult - but is very important - among one of the traits that I find even a lot of proud leftists don't possess.
    Great work.

Okay you guys are all much smarter than I am apparently haha
    Of course once I learned how it worked it was no problemo after that!

In our first 24 hours we have taken over $1200 off the board!

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Yeah, the formula to add consecutive numbers is:

(First + Last) / 2 * n

So no estimating was required....but kudos on your work!

Big thank you to long time internet friend Pengwin7 for adopting a box - thank you!

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to give a quick update!
    We blew through the entire board and raised an additional $18,000+ on top of that.
    This was by far one of our most effective fundraising methods of the past decade!