Thread: Team advise for an owner new to the NHL

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Team advise for an owner new to the NHL

Team in sig

I took over this team mid season. I know very little about hockey (but I'm learning).

I was hoping for some advise on where to go with the team, possible trade targets, who are my cut candidates, and who I should hold on to for the long haul.

I made some trades during the season to get younger (Overtchkin & Byfuglien FOR Rantanen). Should I keep trying to get younger, stay put, or try for some cheap but still performing vets?

My Forwards and Goalies seem strong but my Defense sucks. Which D's should I be targeting?

How are my Minor players? Any lost causes?

I plan to go with Hughes or Kakko, whichever falls to me at 1.02. Other than that I will go BPA
    16 Team, H2H Dynasty Cap 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 1G, 3B, 10 Minor - Scoring G / A / P / PPP / SOG / Hit / Blk / TOISH - W / GAA / SV / SV%
    Forwards: Gaudreau, Barzal, Beniers, Raymond, Trocheck, Byfield, Quinn, Couturier, Chytil, Crouse, Farabee, Rasmussen, Podkolzin, Monahan, Killorn
    Defence: Sergachev, McAvoy, Sanderson, Hronek, McCabe, Broberg
    Goalie: Demko, Merzlikins, Schmid
    F Minors: McTavish, Eklund, Sillinger, Nazar, Kasper, Lekkerimaki, Ostlund
    D Minors: Edvinsson
    G Minors: Askarov, Cossa
    Picks: 2023 1.01, 1.14

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Team advise for an owner new to the NHL

Welcome to the forums!

Pietrangelo, Bob, Zucker, and Skinner would be my sells, ideally with two stud defence and another piece comong back. If you can make a smaller trade for an all around contributor about to pick up more PP time like Pulock (Maybe for Morrissey or Spurgeon) I would look at that too.

Otherwise, don't panic, ask questions on the forums, read lots of articles, watch some games if you can, and have fun
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I did the same thing this year...Im hooked now lol.
    Target good young players you want to watch, it makes it a little easier in losing/rebuild mode. And always shop around getting best value for ur guys....dont do a trade just to trade. If someone's interested in one of ur players ask around and see what that player is worth to others... I find GMs always start low on offers and even try to talk your player down so you think his value Iower. And read/research as much as you can...

Hope this helps

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Keep ur eye on waiver wire everyday too...can find gems all the time.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Welcome to the forums. A couple questions:

1. Is this points-based or category-based? By that I mean, does each stat have a point value per instance, or is it simply tranked head-tot-head with a winner? I'm guessing the latter, since I see SV% as a category.

2. Is this a weekly head-to-head or a season-long rotisserie style format?

3. Does the draft cover all free agents or just incoming rookies?

I'd agree with selling off the guys Eskimo brother mentioned, except Bobrovsky. Your team doesn't seem that bad really, except on defense.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Thanks for the help guys!

Eskimo, I'll let the league know I'm ready to deal as soon as the playoffs are done

Hebs, will do. I've been doing dynasty football for years so I know how to shuck and jive. It's just tough not knowing the value of players.

Steve,
    1) category
    2) weekly head to head
    3) rookies and FAs

I tried to buy Dahlin at the trade deadline, but no dice. What would a good offer be? He needs goalie help bad

I'd aim to try and buy productive young D in a tier below Dahlin. With hits & blocks, you can go a lot of different ways to get your categories. Think of it as using IDP for football, you can get a good amount of value out of players that are often ignored.

If you're set on Dahlin, Bobrovsky should get his attention, unless he's also in the rebuild mode.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Anyone you'd recommend in that lower tier? I can only find keeper points only rankings.

Quote Originally Posted by Trubittisky View Post
    Anyone you'd recommend in that lower tier? I can only find keeper points only rankings.
    I'd look to see who performs well in your settings on your website, filter for D only.

Some guys I'd look at off the top 100 are:
    M Reilly, Werenski, Jones, Provorov, Ekholm, Nurse, Chabot, Morrissey, Lindell, Sanheim, Gostisbehere, Trouba, Pulock, Hamilton. I think they are all 25 or younger.

Most of those should come cheaper than Dahlin will - maybe not Reilly or Chabot. You can try and improve a couple of those spots, then fill in with whomever.

Good luck. I took over a multi-cat team (not in sig) at the beginning of this year that wasn't very good, and have gotten to the playoffs, but did it much more via free agency and the waiver wire than trades.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Trubittisky View Post
    Not to be a shill, but if you're trying to figure out player value

https://fantasyhockeygeek.com/

I only used it one year when a friend had a spot in a one year league. Combined a few projections with FHG (had to spend a few bucks if i recall, but was worth it). Came up with a pretty good draft list way more accurate than the yahoo rankings. Drafted a awesome team, was walking away with the league until the commissioner and another guy colluded to screw me (absolutely brutal one sided trade where one guy basically gave up a bunch of top players for nothing, then never logged in again). And when he's stacking the commissioners team there was nothing left to do but tell them all to **** off and never join a league with them again.

But that aside, FHG can be great for understanding multicat value, especially if you're new to it. I wasn't new to hockey, but my main league is points only.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Welcome to the forums!

Pietrangelo, Bob, Zucker, and Skinner would be my sells, ideally with two stud defence and another piece comong back. If you can make a smaller trade for an all around contributor about to pick up more PP time like Pulock (Maybe for Morrissey or Spurgeon) I would look at that too.

Otherwise, don't panic, ask questions on the forums, read lots of articles, watch some games if you can, and have fun
    I took your advice and made some trades

Trade 1
    I give: Bob, 2019 3rd round selection
    I get: 2020 1st round pick (mid), Trouba

Trade 2
    I give: Pietrangelo, 2020 1st (late), 2019 2.06
    I get: Ekblad, Kotkaniemi, 2019 4.05

I think I improved my team for this season (D) and the future (Kotkaniemi)
    16 Team, H2H Dynasty Cap 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 1G, 3B, 10 Minor - Scoring G / A / P / PPP / SOG / Hit / Blk / TOISH - W / GAA / SV / SV%
    Forwards: Gaudreau, Barzal, Beniers, Raymond, Trocheck, Byfield, Quinn, Couturier, Chytil, Crouse, Farabee, Rasmussen, Podkolzin, Monahan, Killorn
    Defence: Sergachev, McAvoy, Sanderson, Hronek, McCabe, Broberg
    Goalie: Demko, Merzlikins, Schmid
    F Minors: McTavish, Eklund, Sillinger, Nazar, Kasper, Lekkerimaki, Ostlund
    D Minors: Edvinsson
    G Minors: Askarov, Cossa
    Picks: 2023 1.01, 1.14