View Poll Results: What age 30+ skater(s) will still be as productive in 5 years?

Voters
95. This poll is closed
  • Nicklas Backstrom

34 35.79%
  • Patrice Bergeron

15 15.79%
  • Brent Burns

20 21.05%
  • Dustin Byfuglien

0 0%
  • Sidney Crosby

72 75.79%
  • Evgeni Dadonov

3 3.16%
  • Claude Giroux

21 22.11%
  • Patrick Kane

53 55.79%
  • Phil Kessel

5 5.26%
  • Anze Kopitar

8 8.42%
  • Kris Letang

4 4.21%
  • Evgeni Malkin

16 16.84%
  • Brad Marchand

36 37.89%
  • Alex Ovechkin

41 43.16%
  • Alexander Radulov

2 2.11%
  • Ryan Suter

2 2.11%
  • Blake Wheeler

17 17.89%
  • Keith Yandle

10 10.53%
  • None of the above

4 4.21%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: ROOS LETS LOOSE POLL: Future Production from Older Skaters

The Great One

Default ROOS LETS LOOSE POLL: Future Production from Older Skaters

It’s time for another Roos Lets Loose poll/tournament, and once again I’m sticking with a crystal ball theme. This time I’m asking you to decide which currently age 30+ player(s) will still be as productive (or at least pretty close) in March 2024 (i.e., five years from now) as they are currently. So basically, vote for players you think will still be in the same or similar production echelon as they are now once it’s March 2024. You can vote for multiple players, so choose any and all who you think will still be as good (or close to as good) as they are now once five years has past. And there’s also a “None of the above” option if you think all of these players will not be as good (or close to as good) as they are now come March 2024.

What do I mean when I say “or close to as good”? I’d say within 10-15% above or below what they’re scoring now. So if someone is a 100 point player you can vote for him even if you think by 2024 he’ll be closer to an 85-90 point player. Also, if you prefer, you can wait until Wednesday to vote, as that way you can first read my associated column before casting your ballot(s). There I’ll write a blurb about each player, and provide his contract information as well as current scoring pace, plus post a table about how age 35+ skaters have performed since the 2000-01 season. Just some useful food for thought. Or of course by all means fee free to vote now.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Next week is my mailbag column, and I could still use more questions to answer. So shoot me your fantasy hockey question either as a private message on these forums or by emailing the question to [email protected] with “Roos Mailbag” as the subject line.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: ROOS LETS LOOSE POLL: Future Production from Older Skaters

Crosby and Backstrom were the only two that get my vote. This came down mainly to style of play, and how I feel the wear and tear is affecting them. Backstrom would be my guy of the group if I had to pick one, and Marchand was right on the cusp here.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Crosby and Backstrom were the only two that get my vote. This came down mainly to style of play, and how I feel the wear and tear is affecting them. Backstrom would be my guy of the group if I had to pick one, and Marchand was right on the cusp here.
    I'd agree about Crosby and Backstrom. I also ticked Marchand because he's hit his prime in his late 20s. Also picked Kane because he's barely 30 and looks like he could keep this up for awhile.

Byfuglien: the most obvious hard no of the group IMO. He's already 33 and is clearly starting to wear down as a result of his physical style of play. I could see signs of it last season, and he may get into less than half of his team's games this season.
    Follow me on Twitter @Ian_Gooding

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by gooding74 View Post
    I'd agree about Crosby and Backstrom. I also ticked Marchand because he's hit his prime in his late 20s. Also picked Kane because he's barely 30 and looks like he could keep this up for awhile.

Byfuglien: the most obvious hard no of the group IMO. He's already 33 and is clearly starting to wear down as a result of his physical style of play. I could see signs of it last season, and he may get into less than half of his team's games this season.
    I'm curious to see what shakes out for Byfuglien next season on what should be a more depleted Jets blue line. Minutes have been falling the past couple of seasons, but they are probably losing one of Myers or Trouba, which could require more from the big man nightly. Not sure he is up to the challenge.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by gooding74 View Post
    I wrestled with including Buff, but I figured all his time missed might actually give him fresher legs come 5 years from now. But yes, there is a risk he simply breaks down, especially with his larger frame. I'm also curious how votes will turn out for Malkin, who has similar issues although is in better shape and likely plays a style that could translate into continued scoring throughout his 30s.
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Administrator

Tossed Ovy some love because I'm just not ruling him out at this point.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Jedi

Crosby IMO - is the closest to a lock on this list.

Also took Backstrom & Kessel - due to style of play. Mike Gartner anyone?

Ovie - dude's a freak. He'll find a way to keep going. Still productive & maintaining current production are two different things. In 5 years I can see Ovie still putting up 30g & 55+pts.

P. Kane, some young talent kicking around him right now - that will help keep his production up. not to mention, he's not the most physical player, which helps as well.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Backstrom, Grioux and Crosby got my vote.

Giroux is a perimeter player and plays well on PP... I could see him being as productive in 5 years.

Dobber Sports Deity

I went with Crosby, Backstrom and Yandle. Yandle is a guy who never misses a game (I probably just jinxed him) and no one ever thinks about him and his sneaky production.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

The Great One

I'm not surprised to see the Ovi love - heck, look at the Selanne numbers in his late 30s for comparison.......

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Voted for the exact same 2.
    They've also been historically productive on the PP which is crucial.
    Points-only keeper league. 12 teams. Keep any 12 players. Dress 12F - 6D - 2G.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    Crosby IMO - is the closest to a lock on this list.

Also took Backstrom & Kessel - due to style of play. Mike Gartner anyone?

Ovie - dude's a freak. He'll find a way to keep going. Still productive & maintaining current production are two different things. In 5 years I can see Ovie still putting up 30g & 55+pts.

P. Kane, some young talent kicking around him right now - that will help keep his production up. not to mention, he's not the most physical player, which helps as well.
    Couldn't agree more with you on this, except I didn't chose Kessel, he'll become more like a 55-60 pts player with age. I added Bergeron and marchand because I feel they'll do more magic for years to come and it pains me to say that because I hate Marchand and the Bs (Habs fan).
    14 Team Fantrax, G, A, PIM, SOG, PPP, SHP, Hit, Blk, FO%, GWG+ShGWG, W, L, SV, SV%, SHO
    Max Total Players: 31
    Min Active Players: 0
    Max Active Players: 17
    Max Reserve Players: 4
    Max Injury Reserve Players: 3
    Max Minor League Players: 15

C- MacKinnon, Seguin (RW), Bergeron, Kuznetsov, Hayes
    LW- Gaudreau, A Lee, Domi (LW), Olofsson (RW)
    RW- P Kane, T Wilson, Dadonov (LW), M Tkachuk (LW)
    D- Hedman, Carlson, Doughty, Spurgeon, Girard

G-Vasilevskiy, Varlamov, Stalock

Farm:
    F Hallander, G Denisenko, J Kuokkanen, C Garland, S Noel, A Barre-Boulet, J Marino, C Delia, J Korenar, D Tarasov, U-P Luukkonen, A Werner, J Annunen

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by martinc84 View Post
    Couldn't agree more with you on this, except I didn't chose Kessel, he'll become more like a 55-60 pts player with age. I added Bergeron and marchand because I feel they'll do more magic for years to come and it pains me to say that because I hate Marchand and the Bs (Habs fan).
    Marchand I can probably get behind a bit, although he does play a physical game, even if it isn't hitting,he grinds. I can't see Bergy though, just too many injuries. Lots of miles on that body - surgeries, rehab. name it.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Master

My choices, in order of most likely to least likely, are:
    Crosby
    Kane
    Backstrom
    Ovechkin
    Marchand

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy