Thread: H2H tiebreakers

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default H2H tiebreakers

Hopefully everyone their tiebreakers set and agreed upon because dealing with it after the fact can get messy. Highest seed is the better tiebreaker in H2H.

Goodluck on this busy Sunday>

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: H2H tiebreakers

I prefer best regular season record vs opponent, but whichever floats your boat. As long as you're aware of it ahead of time.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Stud

I like total points for on the season as the first tie breaker in H2H formats. It helps reward a team that had a great overall season but got unlucky with some weekly matchups where they happened to play a lesser team that had a hot week.
    12 Team Weekly H2H, Daily Lineups. Keep 7 + 1 Prospect (<164 NHL games).
    Scoring:
    PLAYER: G(3), A(2), D Pts(addt'l 0.7), +/-(0.5), PPP(addt'l 1), SHP(addt'l 0.5), SOG(0.4), BLK(0.8)
    GOALIE: W(2), GA(-1.5), Saves(0.3), SO(3)
    Positions - 3C, 2RW, 2LW, 4D, 2G, 5 Bench, 4 IR, 1 prospect

C - J Hughes(LW), Hintz, Malkin, Pinto
    LW - M Tkachuk(RW), Robertson
    RW - Rust, Necas, Zuccarello
    D - Makar, Fox, Bouchard, Roy, Krug
    G - Oettinger, Thompson, Wedgewood
    Prospect Keeper - L Hughes(D)
    IR - Hill(G)

2024 Picks - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    I prefer best regular season record vs opponent, but whichever floats your boat. As long as you're aware of it ahead of time.
    I hate this as a tiebreaker. You could basically be deciding a playoff matchup based on a single week where a team sucked due to injuries, a light schedule, or whatever. I'd rather just flip a coin than rely on something this random. There's virtually no incentive to do well in the regular season under this format - you're better off tanking just enough to get into the playoffs and getting a better draft pick.

Dobber Sports Immortal

I'm disappointed by this haha

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    I'm disappointed by this haha
    I think I like it because personally I'm aware during the regular season how much of a difference it can make come playoff time, so it forces me to try and win every week. Makes the matchups mean a little more in my eyes.
    I definitely don't dislike the other options, and on the whole it does make more sense for a league to have it be based on regular season standings, but personally I get more enjoyment out of having to battle to win every single week.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

Dobber Sports Sage

In H2H we use total team points during the season as the first tie breaker. I can't think of anything I'd like more than that.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Novice

"Highest seed".

It cuts through the red tape as most everything else can be swayed one way or another and it gives value to being higher seeded.
    it has to stand for something.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Another vote for home team (highest seed). I like it because it's super easy and clear, plus it also gives a "home ice" advantage for a strong regular season.
    Ice Cap

Dynasty, 32 team cap league (1:1 NHL Cap/Floor), H2H weekly, points (G: 1 / A: 1 / Blks: 0.1 / HTS: 0.1 / SOG: 0.1 / W: 1 / SO: 1 / SV: 0.05)
    Start 12 F, 6 D, 1 G, 4 Bench, 27 Minors/Prospects

Roster

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by GavinC View Post
    Another vote for home team (highest seed). I like it because it's super easy and clear, plus it also gives a "home ice" advantage for a strong regular season.
    This is my preferred as well. No need to go dig thru who you did and did not beat over the regular season it's all right there in the Standings.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Stud

What am I missing here? Isn’t highest seed inherently based on some other tiebreaking metric? If two teams are 12-8, they’re tied with the same seed before any tiebreaker is applied. So you’d need something else like total points for, head to head record, etc?
    Scoring:
    PLAYER: G(3), A(2), D Pts(addt'l 0.7), +/-(0.5), PPP(addt'l 1), SHP(addt'l 0.5), SOG(0.4), BLK(0.8)

IR - Hill(G)

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Referee3083 View Post
    What am I missing here? Isn’t highest seed inherently based on some other tiebreaking metric? If two teams are 12-8, they’re tied with the same seed before any tiebreaker is applied. So you’d need something else like total points for, head to head record, etc?
    If you're the 3rd overall team playing the 6th overall team in your H2H quarterfinals, and you tie 5-5, would you want the tie breaker to be based on the regular season standings, meaning the 3rd ranked team moves on, or something else?

Dobber Sports Immortal

I think I like it because personally I'm aware during the regular season how much of a difference it can make come playoff time, so it forces me to try and win every week. Makes the matchups mean a little more in my eyes.
    I definitely don't dislike the other options, and on the whole it does make more sense for a league to have it be based on regular season standings, but personally I get more enjoyment out of having to battle to win every single week.
    And while I totally agree with that part....hockey H2H is just too dependent on weekly schedules. If your studs played 3 times that week and his played 4.....you're likely going to lose just based off of that. Which sucks.

Football or baseball I can see it as more doable.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Referee3083 View Post
    I was under the impression we were discussing just playoff H2H tie breakers, but yeah, our regular season standings are subject to tie breakers. We do overall points, then H2H record.
    Ice Cap

Dynasty, 32 team cap league (1:1 NHL Cap/Floor), H2H weekly, points (G: 1 / A: 1 / Blks: 0.1 / HTS: 0.1 / SOG: 0.1 / W: 1 / SO: 1 / SV: 0.05)
    Start 12 F, 6 D, 1 G, 4 Bench, 27 Minors/Prospects

Roster

Dobber Sports Stud

If you're the 3rd overall team playing the 6th overall team in your H2H quarterfinals, and you tie 5-5, would you want the tie breaker to be based on the regular season standings, meaning the 3rd ranked team moves on, or something else?
    Ah that makes sense. Thanks. I’ll go pull my head out of the sand now
    Scoring:

IR - Hill(G)