Thread: Pick 2 to start Saturday - last gasp to try and make playoffs

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Pick 2 to start Saturday - last gasp to try and make playoffs

Not the league in my sig. Categories are: G, A, P, PIM, SOG, (H+B), W, GAA, SV%, SHO

I'm sitting 5th in a 12 team cap dynasty H2H category league. Top 6th make playoffs, but 3 points separate 5th from 7th, and 2 category wins erase that tiny deficit. I screwed up last week to be in this mess, holding Murray out on Sunday. This week ends on Saturday. The two teams chasing me are both doing worse than I am so far this week, and they are playing playoff-bound teams as well.

Current situation: Tied 4-4-2 in matchup overall. Skater cats are mostly in flux, will be decided tomorrow, could end up anything between 1-5-0 or 5-1-0, current 4-2-0. Goalies are tied in wins & shutouts, and slightly behind in GAA & SV%, current 0-2-2. My opponent is all but guaranteed to be either the 3rd or 4th seed.

I will have to make this decision before 11 am Eastern, so I doubt I will have full information.

Confirmed:
    Sparks (TOR) at OTT
    Nilsson (OTT) vs TOR

Probable/Possible:
    Murray (PIT) vs STL
    McElhinney (CAR) vs BUF
    Reimer (FLA) at LA

My two active roster goalies are Murray & Reimer. If I want to start somebody else, I either have to start 1 less skater or risk losing Reimer (or maybe Charlie Coyle) on waivers. If I want to start two other goalies, it's one less skater, plus a waiver issue.

I'm leaning Murray as one, but unsure what to do with the other spot, other than not Nilsson. If it gets confirmed as a DeSmith start, I need to have a plan for a 3rd goalie.

Thanks in advance for reading and replying.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Master

Default Re: Pick 2 to start Saturday - last gasp to try and make playoffs

Murray for sure. I'd let Reimer go (especially because I thought I read somewhere that Montembeault was getting the start) and roll the dice on Sparks to get the Win in Ottawa.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Immortal

If Murray starts.....Murray. Sparks as well in Ottawa.

I'm up early, and checking to see if we have any early goalie news.

I'm going to probably go a skater short to dress a different goalie over exposing Reimer to waivers. It's dynasty and while I got Reimer off waivers with the 11th priority, you can tell how shaky my goaltending is from my options. Murray & Sparks are literally the only 2 goalies I've inherited that have been worth anything - Neuvirth was junk this year, and everybody else is either not in the NHL, or off my roster.

Thanks for the thoughts so far!
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Decided to start Sparks, and demoted Grabner. Losing him on waivers won't hurt that much, as I'm not sure he's worth keeping at his salary, although the league is very deep.

Dobber Sports Master

Well this is not working out so well...sorry, man!

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Quote Originally Posted by The Bottlenecker View Post
    Well this is not working out so well...sorry, man!
    True. You know it's bad when GAA & SV% for the week are 5.47 & .867. But it's okay. There was no way I wasn't starting Murray. I had a 2 in 3 shot to make the right call, and didn't.

Amazingly, right now I have a little more of a lead then going into the week, due to my skaters, but it's going to be close.