Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Who's my 4th keeper- Pettersson or Dahlin?

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default Who's my 4th keeper- Pettersson or Dahlin?

Hello all,

Looking for some early feedback on who my 4th keeper should be for next season and beyond. We only get to keep 4 every year in a standard H2H yahoo league (description below), and I already have my first 3 decided (McDavid (C), Mackinnon(C), Marner(RW)). Can't decide on the 4th between the following players:

E. Pettersson (C)
    R. Dahlin (D)
    Also got Kessel, Boeser and John Carlson.

League info:
    Weekly H2H, 12 teams, 15man roster (7F-2C/2RW/2LW/1F, 3D, 2goalies, 3 bench)
    G, A, P, PPP, +/-, SOG, PIM

Any input is appreciated!

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Re: Who's my 4th keeper- Pettersson or Dahlin?

Do forward positions count in your league or are they all counted as forwards regardless of position?
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by MZac View Post
    Do forward positions count in your league or are they all counted as forwards regardless of position?
    Forward positions do count- I have to start: 2C, 2RW, 2LW and 1 forward utility. I'll edit my first post to make it clearer..

Dobber Sports Rookie

Pettersson imho.
    Minnesota Gophers

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

That is a very tough choice to have to make. But i think you have to keep Petterson he is just going to keep getting better. But in your case you can make the argument you already have 2 stud centers and Dahlin would be solid in your defense too. really tough decision im sure the other guys in your pool wont mind having either one of those guys you may have to drop

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I'd go Pettersson. His name and value is so high that if you drop him he'd be among the first ones to be picked in redraft.<br><br>As for Dahlin, since its a Keep 4, there will be many very good players in Round 1 of your draft and because he is a Defensemen, you MAY be able to redraft him later in Round 1. For instance, John Carlson (that you will drop) will probably be picked before Dahlin but not Pettersson
    Keep 6 - 14 team H2H Yahoo - Categories: G A P +/- PIM PPP SOG FW HIT BLK / GS W GAA SV% SHO
    C: T.Thompson, Aho
    LW: B.Tkachuk, M. Tkachuk
    RW:
    D: Dahlin, Fox, Mcavoy
    G:

Dobber Sports Genius

I like both of them but I think Carlson needs some serious consideration as well. He's gone back to back 60+ point seasons and will probably finish high 60's again. He's firmly in the top 5 of D scorers and although Dahlin shouldn't take long, should still be a tier behind next year.

I love Petterson but a slight step back next year wouldn't be without question. Look at Mackinnons progression for my point.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,, J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov,
    D: Q. Hughes,
    G:Bobrovsky

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by KingKarl View Post
    Forward positions do count- I have to start: 2C, 2RW, 2LW and 1 forward utility. I'll edit my first post to make it clearer..
    Given this I'm not keeping 3 centers in a keep 4. You are already keeping arguably the two best fantasy Centers in hockey so I'm begrudgingly letting pettersson go (or trading him if that's an option).

I think carlson is definitely worth consideration but I personally wouldn't be able to get past dahlins upside with what we saw this season. I think carlson probably out produces him for another year or two but the difference likely won't be so much that I couldn't live with the decision. Dahlin is a special talent and to play at the level he has shown and continually improve throughout the season as an 18 year old, yikes.

Whatever you decide you have top end elite talent which is exactly what you need in a keep 4.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Jedi

in a keep 4... I'm probably keeping Carlson here. I wouldn't keep a player based on upside, when others are keeping players based on current value. It could be 2-3 years before Dahlin reaches Carlson's production level. I could be wrong, but least you have a solid idea of what Carlson will provide next year.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Titan

Carlson is my choice. In anything keep 5 and less, I only care about next season because of all the turnover. Carlson gives you the best set for next season.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Carlson is my choice. In anything keep 5 and less, I only care about next season because of all the turnover. Carlson gives you the best set for next season.
    I agree With EB. Carlson gives you the best shot to win next year.

You might be able to redraft Petterson or Dahlin depending on where you are in the draft next year. But Carlson is proven and provides statistics not many Dmen in the league can. Take the safest route here. All are great players, but winning is most important and Carlson gives you that for next year.

With the Centermen you already have Petterson isn't a huge loss.
    10 Team H2H Baseball- Cats

R, HR, RBI, BB, SB, AVG, XBH
    W, ERA, SV, K WHIP, QS

C: D. Jansen
    1B: P. Goldschmidt
    2B: J. Villar
    3B: E. Suarez
    SS: J. Peraza
    OF: M. Trout
    OF: G. Stanton
    OF: A. Benintendi
    UTIL: G. Springer
    UTIL: J. Gallo
    P: T. Bauer
    P: Z. Wheeler
    RP: T. Glasnow
    RP: K. Maeda
    P: G. Marquez
    P: L. Castillo
    P: S. Bieber
    P: C. McHugh

Bench: J. Profar, T. White, M. Smith, C. Martinez (SP), G. Holland

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Shop them. I suspect you'll get some great returns on the rookies, and young guys like Boeser.

I'd want to keep a non-center, so it's between whichever D fetches you less & Boeser for me, I think.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Rookie

I actually wasn't considering Carlson much tbh, he is having a great year again, but aside from this season and last season, he wasn't much of a stud just looking at his previous stats. I haven't really been following his career, it's my first year drafting him, but he's 29 this year and 30 next, how long will he and Washington be able to keep this up? Will he be able to maintain this pace for 3-4 more years? I'd rather future proof in case I don't win and have a great young core to build around to compete for years to come, not just next season.

The other thing is my league doesn't seem to place much of a premium on D-men for keeper and drafting, so I'm pretty sure I'd be able to draft him again in 2nd or 3rd round, and they'll be alot of other good D-men options as well to choose from since other players in my league don't seem to keep any D-men aside from Karlsson and Burns. So I'd rather keep a young potentially generational talent that wont be available to me by the end of the 1st round of drafting since ill most likely be drafting between 9th and 12th spot. Pettersson will most likely be gone by then, no sure about Dahlin, I suppose it depends how he finishes up the season. This is more difficult than I thought it would be lol. Im in no rush, but any more suggestions would be welcomed..

btw trading is not an option anymore..

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by KingKarl View Post
    I actually wasn't considering Carlson much tbh, he is having a great year again, but aside from this season and last season, he wasn't much of a stud just looking at his previous stats. I haven't really been following his career, it's my first year drafting him, but he's 29 this year and 30 next, how long will he and Washington be able to keep this up? Will he be able to maintain this pace for 3-4 more years? I'd rather future proof in case I don't win and have a great young core to build around to compete for years to come, not just next season.

The other thing is my league doesn't seem to place much of a premium on D-men for keeper and drafting, so I'm pretty sure I'd be able to draft him again in 2nd or 3rd round, and they'll be alot of other good D-men options as well to choose from since other players in my league don't seem to keep any D-men aside from Karlsson and Burns. So I'd rather keep a young potentially generational talent that wont be available to me by the end of the 1st round of drafting since ill most likely be drafting between 9th and 12th spot. Pettersson will most likely be gone by then, no sure about Dahlin, I suppose it depends how he finishes up the season. This is more difficult than I thought it would be lol. Im in no rush, but any more suggestions would be welcomed..

btw trading is not an option anymore..
    you're already keeping Mack & McDavid.
    you start 2C - so keeping Pettersson seems nonsensical based purely on that.
    in a keep 4 - you can't keep 3 pure C's when only 2 start.

that leaves Dahlin vs. Carlson.
    you hope Dahlin reaches Carlson's offensive output one day.
    no way to tell if that's next year, or three years from now.
    Carlson gives you more of a guaranteed floor next year than Dahlin.
    As good as Dahlin has been, sophomore slump IS REAL. maybe he has it, maybe he doesn't,
    ... but Boeser & Keller will confirm it.

B2B 65+pt seasons... that's hard to ignore.
    Turning 30 is nothing you should be concerned about.
    In a keep 4 - you will have hard choices every year for that 4th slot.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Am I crazy to think keeping Kessel or Carlson is the right move here?
    PTKL - '18 and '19 Back to Back League Champion!
    12 team league, 20 players per team
    Count top 9 F, 4 D, 1 G
    Points only for F and D
    G Stats: W = 1, SO = 1, Saves (0.04 per save), Goals Against (-0.2 per goal), G and A also count

F: Barkov, Bergeron, Dadonov, Getzlaf, Hertl, Marchand, Olofsson, Pacioretty, Pavelski, Radulov, Stone, Wheeler, Zuccarello
    D: Krug, Letang, Petry, Rielly, Weber
    G: Fleury, Price