Thread: [Signed] Quinn Hughes to a three-year, entry-level contract

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default [Signed] Quinn Hughes to a three-year, entry-level contract

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: [Signed] Quinn Hughes to a three-year, entry-level contract

And so it begins!! It's going to be interesting to see if Vancouver lets Q.Hughes play over 10 game the rest of the way here..??
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    And so it begins!! It's going to be interesting to see if Vancouver lets Q.Hughes play over 10 game the rest of the way here..??
    it would fit with the teams M.O. over the years. With an ankle bruise, I suspect he does not play Wed night. Even if he does... I don't know if Van is overly concerned about having to protect him.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    Word on the street in Vancouver is that if Hughes plays ten games this season then he will have to be protected in the expansion draft. There is no way the Canucks let him play more than 9 of the next 13 games.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Administrator

Insert a bunch of cliches about him needing to "practice with the team" before he's magically ready with 9 games to go

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    Word on the street in Vancouver is that if Hughes plays ten games this season then he will have to be protected in the expansion draft. There is no way the Canucks let him play more than 9 of the next 13 games.
    That's not true. If he plays MORE than 10 games this season, he would need to be protected in the expansion draft. If he plays 10 games, it counts as a year off his ELC. Here is an article that explains the rules for Zadina and they apply to Hughes as well.

https://www.wingingitinmotown.com/20...wont-heres-why

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    That's not true. If he plays MORE than 10 games this season, he would need to be protected in the expansion draft. If he plays 10 games, it counts as a year off his ELC. Here is an article that explains the rules for Zadina and they apply to Hughes as well.

https://www.wingingitinmotown.com/20...wont-heres-why
    The part about the expansion draft is correct but since Hughes signed his contract in 2019 he does not qualify for the ELC slide like Zadina does. If Hughes plays one game, it's a year off his contract.

from capfriendly

If a player who is signed to an entry-level contract and is 18 or 19 years of age (as of September 15 of the signing year), does not play in a minimum of 10 NHL games (including both regular season and playoffs; AHL games do not count), their contract is considered to ‘slide’, or extend, by one year. For example, if a player signed an ELC for three seasons from 2015-16 to 2017-2018, and their contract slides, their contract is now effective from 2016-17 to 2018-19. An exception to this rule is that if the player is 19 on September 15 of the first year of their contract, and turns 20 between September 16 and December 31, their contract does not slide.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    The part about the expansion draft is correct but since Hughes signed his contract in 2019 he does not qualify for the ELC slide like Zadina does. If Hughes plays one game, it's a year off his contract.

from capfriendly
    Are you sure? If 2018/19 is the first year of Hughes contract, then he would have been 18 on Sept 15th.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I am sure. That he was 18 6 months ago is irrelevant to the CBA. Since he signed the contract for the 2018/19 season in 2019 and turns 20 between September 16 and December 31 2019 he is considered a 20 year old under the CBA if he plays this season. It was the same situation with Mittelstadt last year and McAvoy the year prior.

edit: Re-enforcement from a more credible source than I

#Canucks sign their 7th overall pick in 2018, Quinton Hughes to a 3 year ELC in which the first year of the contract is 2018-19.

Points to remember:
    - Hughes is an EL SA 20, meaning his contract can not slide
    - If he plays in 11 gms this season he'll be expansion draft eligible

Dobber Sports Jedi

he won't play 10+ games. he's arriving in Van with a swollen ankle and undergoing an MRI today. Benning said yesterday Hughes won't play until he is 100%. That's good for 3-4 games, which will bring him down to 9/10. They're covered, without looking like they are covering anything.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4