Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Can anyone make sense of my keepers?

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Re: Can anyone make sense of my keepers?

Honestly missed wheeler. I'd add him to the locks. Gaudreau is definitely worth hard consideration as well.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I may be a bit late to the party, but here goes:

C/LW/RW: Barkov, Ovechkin, P. Kane
    Flex forward: Wheeler ( see below)
    D: Burns, (see below)
    G: Hellebuyck

That makes 6. I want another D, and another F.

I'd keep one of Carlson or Josi, as I think they are the 2 safest defensemen you can pick from. I prefer Carlson, but the return on them may be highly different.

At forward, you have options. Others listed the guys I'd consider, so repeating it here:

Benn - dual position, had a down year, so likely redraftable cheaper than one would think, solid in this format.
    Gaudreau - single position wing, scorer only, but best scorer in this group.
    Hertl - triple position guy, not much of a grit guy, but gets FOW. Might lose wing eligibilities?
    E. Kane - single position wing, very much a multi category guy
    Schenn - dual position, but fewer FOW than last year, and not a great scorer, eliminated from consideration
    Zibanejad - plays C only, eliminated from consideration.

I think your last forward should come from the first 4 guys listed (alphabetically) above. I'd be willing to sell one or more of them off. If Hertl goes to a single position C, you can eliminate him. If he keeps all 3 positions, I really like him.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Thank you for keeping this alive guys.

I think we have determined that I have 6 locks:

C - Barkov
    C/RW - Wheeler
    LW - Ovechkin
    RW - P. Kane
    D - Burns
    G - Hellebuyck

I need to fill 2 more keepers and the most mentions are Gaudreau, Zibanejad, Benn, Hertl, E. Kane and Josi.

It seems crazy to me that P. Kane would be a lock but Gaudreau isn’t? I have to keep him don’t I?

I’d also like to keep Carlson. Man, I really like Pulock though.

I have the first 5 picks in the draft and will use the first 2 on Hughes and Kakko. Not sure about Byram with my 3rd and then the two best non-keepers next.

It looks like you guys want me to trade away E. Kane, Forsberg, Zibanejad, Hertl, Benn, Schenn, Josi, Muzzin and Lehner.

As of now, that is what I will try after I go after the championship.

Also, it will really suck if Svechnikov plays all 82 games because I’d be using one of my 5 1sts to get him back right away in the draft. If he plays 81, I can protect him in my minors.

Dobber Sports Titan

I wouldn't use one of those picks on Byram. Go for the win again next year.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
    Thank you for keeping this alive guys.
    It seems crazy to me that P. Kane would be a lock but Gaudreau isn’t? I have to keep him don’t I?

I have the first 5 picks in the draft and will use the first 2 on Hughes and Kakko. Not sure about Byram with my 3rd and then the two best non-keepers next.

It looks like you guys want me to trade away E. Kane, Forsberg, Zibanejad, Hertl, Benn, Schenn, Josi, Muzzin and Lehner.

As of now, that is what I will try after I go after the championship.

Also, it will really suck if Svechnikov plays all 82 games because I’d be using one of my 5 1sts to get him back right away in the draft. If he plays 81, I can protect him in my minors.
    P Kane has 2 main advantages over Gaudreau: slightly better peripherals (Hit, Blk, PPP), and he may be the best player at his position in your league. We know Ovechkin >> Gaudreau and everyone else in this format at LW. So you lock up an elite guy at each spot, and have Wheeler to flex.

Gaudreau's advantage is youth, but yours is absolutely a contending team, and you should get a lot more in return for the guy well under 30.

I agree with EB to keep going for the win next year, and frankly in perpetuity. You're loaded, keep steamrolling.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    P Kane has 2 main advantages over Gaudreau: slightly better peripherals (Hit, Blk, PPP), and he may be the best player at his position in your league. We know Ovechkin >> Gaudreau and everyone else in this format at LW. So you lock up an elite guy at each spot, and have Wheeler to flex.

Gaudreau's advantage is youth, but yours is absolutely a contending team, and you should get a lot more in return for the guy well under 30.

I agree with EB to keep going for the win next year, and frankly in perpetuity. You're loaded, keep steamrolling.
    This is really well put and I concur with the assessment. Gaudreau is probably the hardest cut but I think it makes the most sense.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
    League in signature. Keep 8.

I’m in 1st and hope to win our two-round playoff.

Who should be my 8 keepers? I will trade everybody else after the season ends so keep in mind name-value if you want.

Note: If Svechnikov doesn’t miss a game and plays all 82, I’d basically be forced to graduate him and I’d have to make a decision on him too.

Thank you and I will absolutely rep because of the thought process involved. Thank you for you time.
    F - Barkov, Ovechkin, P Kane, E. Kane, Gaudreau
    D - Burns, Carlson
    G -Helle

This would be my 8. The hardest cut for me was Wheeler vs. Gaudreau & Carlson over Krug/Josi - I just think Carlson has slightly higher offensive upside on D (B2B 65+ pt seasons.

Wheeler/Gaudreau are pretty much on par offensively. I went with JG due to age, you sacrifice a few periphs this way, but Wheeler doesn't hit as much as one thinks anyway. He's always undervalued, so potential of him dropping (due to age) and redrafting early on.

E. Kane is a hit/sog combo beast, add in how he fits with SJ and he's gold on wing in this format.

Helle - a top 5 G option in any keeper pool.

Barkov, Burns, Ovie, P. Kane are pure gold and require no explanation,
    well perhaps just add Barkov's predominance in the face off circle, dude takes an elite number of draws per year

This gives you a solid balance of 5F, 2D, 1G.

Having Burns/Carlson ripping 60+pts next year also allows you to sleep on D for the first couple rounds and grab those MC beasts that will be undervalued - Nurse, Petry, Pulock (I expect his #'s to go up in every cat next year)

You've got flexibility to take BPA early on in the draft and fill roster needs - cat stuffers later on (IE: McNabb)

regarding Svech... only be sad having to drop him in name only. There's no way I see him reaching the level of any of your 5F's by end of next season. Even if he puts up 70pts. It'll be hard for him the be worth more than E. Kane in your format.

He's just not there yet.

Having to drop players like Wheeler, Josi & Svech - it's kind of like seniors complaining their annual income after retirement is too high that they have to pay taxes.
    It's a problem you WANT to have.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Apprentice

C - Barkov,
    C/LW/RW -
    C/LW -
    C/RW - Wheeler
    LW - Ovechkin, Forsberg, Gaudreau
    RW - P. Kane
    D - Burns, Carlson
    G-

This is how I'd roll. Not impressed with Hellebuyck this season in the slightest and in a keep 8 you can probably get better/equal in the draft.
    PTKL - '18 and '19 Back to Back League Champion!
    12 team league, 20 players per team
    Count top 9 F, 4 D, 1 G
    Points only for F and D
    G Stats: W = 1, SO = 1, Saves (0.04 per save), Goals Against (-0.2 per goal), G and A also count

F: Barkov, Bergeron, Dadonov, Getzlaf, Hertl, Marchand, Olofsson, Pacioretty, Pavelski, Radulov, Stone, Wheeler, Zuccarello
    D: Krug, Letang, Petry, Rielly, Weber
    G: Fleury, Price

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by beatnik_uwo View Post
    C - Barkov,
    C/LW/RW -
    C/LW -
    C/RW - Wheeler
    LW - Ovechkin, Forsberg, Gaudreau
    RW - P. Kane
    D - Burns, Carlson
    G-

This is how I'd roll. Not impressed with Hellebuyck this season in the slightest and in a keep 8 you can probably get better/equal in the draft.
    I'd do the same, but swap out Forsberg for E. Kane.

So: Barkov, Wheeler, Ovi, E. Kane, Gaudreau, P. Kane, Burns, Carlson
    Yahoo 12-team H2H partial keeper league (keep 7 vets + 3 prospects (p = skater <201 gp; goalie < 101gp))

G,A,P,PIM,+/-,PPP,SOG,FW,hits, blocks, W,GAA,SV%,Saves
    Start 3/3/3/5/2

C: Kopitar, P. Suter, Carlsson (p), Lundell (p), Norris
    LW: B. Tkachuk, Stutzle (c), Colton (c), Ehlers
    RW: Rantanen, Caufield (lw), Svechnikov (lw), Foegele (lw)
    D: Dahlin, Andersson, Chychrun, Montour, Sanheim, Matheson, Faber (p)
    G: Talbot, Forsberg, Daws (p), Wolf (p, NA)
    IR: Fantilli, Sergachev, Jeannot, Ingram
    NA: Levi

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by The Bottlenecker View Post
    Thorough analysis by MZac. I can rep him for you.

My one argument would be in not making Gaudreau and Wheeler locks. Wheeler alone is killing it this year, and should do so again next as little will change in the Peg next year for that top line. Same for Johnny Hockey. Just my two cents tho.
    This was my thought as well. What am I missing here!? Johnny hockey not a lock over Barkov? Maybe it's the other Gaudreau!
    Contract Fantrax 14 teams, 8 keepers. 4 max lifers +/-
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 1F. 5D,2G....5Reserves.
    Goal heavy. G=3.5 A=2 Add 0.5pts for D.
    Goalies:W=3,SO=4,start=2,Save=.1
    Assist +4, OF loss +1 loss= -1 Goal against -1
    C:MACKINNON,Kadri,Rossi,Thompson
    LW: KANE,HUBERDEAU,Marchand,kotkaniemi,Colton,N.Robert son
    RW:KUCHEROV,RANTANEN,Kessel,Bjorkstrand
    FOX,BURNS,Jones,Girard,lundkist,Hanafin
    G:CAMPBELL,Swayman
    Minors:Mctavish,Johnson

Dobber Sports Initiate

Update: I won my league yesterday and have already received an offer for my Gaudreau (who you guys debated as a maybe keeper for me.)

Gaudreau for 3rd in 2019, 1st in 2020 (his team should be horrible next year) and Shesterkin.

I do have space in my minors for one player. What do you think?

Dobber Sports Titan

Gaudreau wasn't even on my list of initial keepers, so that sounds like a great deal. The 2020 pick can probably be flipped for a similar return itself at next year's deadline to put you over the top again next year.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

Dobber Sports Initiate

I just thought of something here guys.

Because I have the first 5 picks in this years draft, should I keep three of my best non-keepers so that they go back into the draft for me to draft? I’m taking Hughes and Kakko with my first 2 picks and that leaves me three picks to take, say, Gaudreau, E. Kane and Zibanejad (because I can’t keep those 3) instead of trading those three for peanuts and giving them to someone else?

Did I word this properly?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

i think that makes alot of sense to do that you get the best 2 draft picks then get 3 guys back that help you next year.

Dobber Sports Titan

The only reason I discount that is because there will probably be someone equal to a Zibanejad who won't be kept by another team. If you trade Zibs to team A for a draft pick, then he's not available at pick 6 in the draft (first one outside your top 5) for team B or C etc to draft him, since team B or C had to drop someone solid, for example Nick Backstrom, who replaces Zibs as the guy you draft at 5.

I you don't see any possible way someone is dropping someone close in value to Zibs, then keep and re-draft him.