View Poll Results: Did I make a good trade?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 66.67%
  • No

1 16.67%
  • It was an even trade

1 16.67%

Thread: Acquired Eichel for Benn, did I pay too much?

Dobber Sports Recruit

Default Acquired Eichel for Benn, did I pay too much?

Hi Everyone,

I'm a long time one-year league player and this is the first year my league transitioned into a keeper league. I was wondering if I could get some feedback on the trade I made:

I receive - Jack Eichel + 13th round pick in 2019

I gave up - Jamie Benn + 1st round pick in 2019

My league settings are:

12 team / ROTO
    G / A / P / +- / PIM / PPP / SOG / HIT / W / GAA / SV% / SHO
    Roster Size 23
    Keep 3 players (for indefinite amount of time)

My reasons for making the trade:
    - I drafted Benn hoping to win this year, didn't work out so I made this trade
    - Eichel is 7 years younger than Benn
    - The option to keep Eichel indefinitely boosts his value in my league
    - Benn is turning 30 this summer and may be on a plateau/decline
    - Benn is not Ovechkin

My doubts for making the trade:
    - Benn is pretty much an Ovechkin light in a banger league
    - Ovechkin is 4 years older, so Benn may have lots of good years left still

Am I placing too much value on age?

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Re: Acquired Eichel for Benn, did I pay too much?

I like eichel more than benn. The question for next season is eichel plus the 13th overall pick going to out produce Benn plus the 1st round pick. Probably (almost certainly) not. So you lose the trade next season. After next season and forever more you almost certainly win the trade.

Top end talent in a keep 3 is extremely important and I'm confident eichel is more top end than benn going forward. 1st round picks are also going to be really good players in a keep 3. There will almost always be some guys available that would be keepers on bottom half teams (the great teams the year before won't be able to keep all of their top end players, some of them will be better than other teams keepers). So generally the first round picks are very valuable.

You're going to have some work ahead of you to make up at the draft next season. You'll probably have to find some later gems to make up the ground of losing the first.

In a limited keepr my goal is to win every single year and yours should be too.

Did you win the trade? Time will tell. If you finish in a money position next season then I'd feel pretty good about it. If you don't and end up rebuilding and the other team finishes in a money position then you lose this trade. It could go either way at this stage.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Monster

You paid a lot but I think this is a good trade for you. Losing that pick hurts, but honestly acquiring a top tier talent like Eichel will make it worthwhile. It's not supposed to be easy acquiring a top player like that so you did what you had to do.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Jedi

Eichel is close to a lock as a keeper in a keep 3. Benn on most teams is not. You really want as close to 3 cheat cards as possible in a league like this, Eichel gets you closer to achieving that. Might sting a bit this year... but with good mid-late round drafting (see Couturier from 2 years ago, or Erik Gustafsson this year) - you can close the gap immediately on the deal.

I like it.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Nice trade as morrow said good players do not come cheap

Dobber Sports Genius

I don't think so at all. I much prefer Eichel even with the pick involved. I think Benn bounces back some next year but I believe Eichel still has another level that we haven't seen.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,,J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov, C.Giroux, T.Terry
    D: Q. Hughes, A.Pietrangelo, J.Carlson, A.Ekblad, Sanheim
    G:Bobrovsky, Ingram

Dobber Sports Padawan

In a keeper I'd much prefer Eichel
    10 Team Fantrax Weekly H2H
    19-Man Roster, 8 Keepers, 12 Minors (<150 NHL Games Kept Free)
    Pos: 3xC / 3xLW / 3xRW / 3xD / 3xG / 1xUtil / 3xBench / 5xIR
    Scoring: (G=1) (A=1) (W=2) (SO=1) (SV=0.05)

2020-21 League Champion 🏆

Re-tooling Season. Keepers moving forward:

C: N.MacKinnon, E.Pettersson, T.Zegras
    LW: A.DeBrincat, A.Svechnikov
    RW: W.Nylander
    D: C.Makar, R.Dahlin

Notable Minors Eligible/Prospects: C.Sillinger, S.Pinto, P.Krebs, F.Lysell, M.Coronato, S.Perunovich, F.Nazar, S.Durzi, S.Skinner

Dobber Sports Grand Master

What positions do you use? All forwards this move looks better than breaking them out, but I think it's reasonable.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Recruit

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    What positions do you use? All forwards this move looks better than breaking them out, but I think it's reasonable.
    We have 4C / 4RW / 4LW / 6D / 2G / 3Bench

Dobber Sports Genius

I'd love to know what the other guy has for him to trade eichel. If he had too many guys to fit in his top 3 then I think you over paid. He can't keep them giving you bargaining power. If he was just in rebuild mode cause he has hardly anyone then it makes a little more sense to me.

I would never want to trade my 1st pick as it will most likely hurt you next year big time!

I'm a believer that no one should ever trade their 1st or 2nd pick. In a keep 3 only im sure you could find yourself a gem at some point who will produce almost what eichel is.

Edit: I should probably not comment on Roto league type questions. I'm thinking head to head here.

My 2 cents
    Cheers
    Contract Fantrax 14 teams, 8 keepers. 4 max lifers +/-
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 1F. 5D,2G....5Reserves.
    Goal heavy. G=3.5 A=2 Add 0.5pts for D.
    Goalies:W=3,SO=4,start=2,Save=.1
    Assist +4, OF loss +1 loss= -1 Goal against -1
    C:MACKINNON,Kadri,Rossi,Thompson
    LW: KANE,HUBERDEAU,Marchand,kotkaniemi,Colton,N.Robert son
    RW:KUCHEROV,RANTANEN,Kessel,Bjorkstrand
    FOX,BURNS,Jones,Girard,lundkist,Hanafin
    G:CAMPBELL,Swayman
    Minors:Mctavish,Johnson

Dobber Sports Recruit

Quote Originally Posted by ddp View Post
    I'd love to know what the other guy has for him to trade eichel. If he had too many guys to fit in his top 3 then I think you over paid. He can't keep them giving you bargaining power. If he was just in rebuild mode cause he has hardly anyone then it makes a little more sense to me.
    His other top ranked players are:
    Auston Matthews
    Andrei Vasilevsky
    Erik Karlsson
    Sebastian Aho

I assume that had this trade not go down, he was going to keep Matthews / Vasilevsky / Eichel

First round picks were being handed out like candy (symptom of a first yer league I suppose). One team has managed to acquire 5 first round, 2 second round, and 3 third round picks. This was also something that motivated me to go younger with my keepers.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I think the deal makes sense, as it's a small enough keeper league that you will likely be fine giving up the pick, although I'd have much preferred less of a drop in rounds.

The guy with 5 first rounders is set well for next & future years, as he can use them to get players to both keep, and as trade bait to get firsts farther down the line, while keeping enough to contend. If he does it well.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.