Thread: The Athletic's 2019 NHL Poll

Dobber Sports Deity

Default The Athletic's 2019 NHL Poll

So The Athletic recently did a poll of roughly 200 NHL players (split evenly between the Eastern and Western Conference), looking for differing opinions on varying things around the league. For those who have the subscription and haven't seen this yet:

https://theathletic.com/840226/2019/...t-in-the-game/

For those who do not have the subscription, I will highlight most of the Q's and A's.

Best all around player in the game is still Crosby with nearly 50% of the votes.

Game7 of the SC Finals, who do you want starting? Carey Price is still the man.

Most underrated player is Aleksander Barkov.

Most overrated player is PK Subban.

The coach guys would most want to play for (they could not vote for their own coach) was a tie between Jon Cooper and Gerard Gallant.

The coach guys don't want to play for is Torts with Ken Hitchcock not too far behind.

Most fun city to play in was Vegas and the worst city to visit on the road was Winnipeg.

Vegas is also considered to have the best fans while the Panthers are considered to have the worst.

It was an entertaining read, especially some of the players comments on the questions (of course the players were never named as to who said the comments).

Thoughts?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Re: The Athletic's 2019 NHL Poll

That's a fun poll. Thanks for summarizing.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Very cool.
    I canceled my Athletic subscription in September... only because I'm super cheap.
    But they have very good stuff over there!

No surprise on most of those answers.
    Vegas really has been a superb pick for an NHL city - glad that I have comments to say I thought it would work there.
    Crosby... yeah, hockey people just know his overall game(smanship). It's insane what he brings in all aspects of the hockey world.

Dobber Sports Deity

I read three really good hockey articles today actually from them. This was one, there was another called "Trade deadline frenzy: Behind the scenes with an NHL agent on one of the busiest days of the year". The agent for Kinkaid (and others obviously), Allain Roy, opened his home to a reporter to see what he does on deadline day when it comes to dealing with his guys being dealt, etc. A really good read.

The next one I read today was from Sean McIndoe titled "The Chiarelli Cup: Which GM can make the best starting roster from players they’ve traded away?" A look at the NHL​ history’s​ most entertaining​ trader​ by assembling starting lineups​​ based on players a single GM had traded for. Surprisingly, Chiarelli wasn't the worst.

A lot of good reads the past few days, especially with the trade deadline, and spring training rolling around the corner.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Stud

The Chiarelli cup article sounds like a fun read. Assuming you only look at the pkayers traded away (and not what they returned), my bet would be Glen Sather

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Very cool.
    I canceled my Athletic subscription in September... only because I'm super cheap.
    But they have very good stuff over there!
    I renewed my subscription, but only after letting it expire and then waiting for a half price offer. I think the full price is too much.

Administrator

NHL players really do not like PK and it almost certainly has nothing to do with his actual abilities as a player.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    The Chiarelli cup article sounds like a fun read. Assuming you only look at the pkayers traded away (and not what they returned), my bet would be Glen Sather
    Ya, that was the big winner. It was a really good read and a lot of research went into it. They only discussed drafted players, not picks that was used to draft certain players (ie Barzal).