Thread: Pettersson for Patrick Kane?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Pettersson for Patrick Kane?

For 1st team in signature. 25 man roster, keep 20. Goals and assists are 1 point each, bonus point for power play points. Another owner has put Kane on the trading block. I am trying to convince him to accept a deal including my Hall and a + for Kane but he is adamant that Pettersson be included. I am currently in first place by about 30 points.

Would anyone consider a deal based around my Hall and Pettersson for his Kane and Marchand?

Maybe I am just looking to make deals for the sake of making deals and need to step away from the computer for awhile? lol

Any opinions on this would be appreciated.

Thanks
    1st teamC: S. Aho, E. Malkin, W. Karllson, B. Nelson
    LW: B. Marchand, A. Ovechkin, J. Zucker, N. Niederreiter, A. Svechnikov,

RW: D. Perron, J. Kyrou, C. Keller, D. Strome, T. Toffoli, C. Perfetti,
    D: j. Carlson, D. Hamilton, R. Andersson, F. Hronek,J. Spurgeon
    G: , C. Hellybuck, J. Ottinger, A. Vasilevskiy

2nd team
    C: E. Lindholm, J. Pavelski, JT Miller, R. Johansen, A. Killorn, B. Jenner(IR)

LW: , B. Marchand, A. Mangiapane, T. Toffoli, J. Gaudreau

RW: P. Kane, Pasta, D. Perron, T. Wilson, N. Schmaltz, M. Tkackuk
    D: J. Carlson, A. Pietriangelo, C. McAvoy, N. Schmidt, J. Trouba, J. Morrissey
    G: J. Markstrom, C. Hellybuyck, T. Jarry

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: Pettersson for Patrick Kane?

If you're in place by 30 points, you're clearly doing something right. In a keep 20 league, Pettersson is going to be an elite talent for many years, this is a trade which will probably favour you slightly for a season or two (though not by much) but in the long run you'll regret it imo.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by JayJJeffery View Post
    If you're in place by 30 points, you're clearly doing something right. In a keep 20 league, Pettersson is going to be an elite talent for many years, this is a trade which will probably favour you slightly for a season or two (though not by much) but in the long run you'll regret it imo.

You are in a no lose situation... See if he'll throw in more. If he does, you may get a ridiculous haul. If he doesn't, you are still in great shape.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Is Kane and Marchand a ridiculous haul? Try for those two guys for Pettersson and a lesser player than Hall?

2nd team

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by knoble View Post
    Is Kane and Marchand a ridiculous haul? Try for those two guys for Pettersson and a lesser player than Hall?
    It's a ridiculous haul yes but see if u can get more. He demanded Pettersson be thrown in; you can now counter with something of your own that he must throw in

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Well, just an update on this deal. After a lot of negotiating and going back and forth, the deal ended up being:
    my Pettersson, Seguin, Hall and a 2nd round pick
    for
    his Patrick Kane, Marchand, and Barzal.

I may get roasted for this trade for giving up Pettersson but I felt I had to make a move. The 2nd place team had just made a move and acquired Draisailt, Wheeler and Hedman. With Hall on the IR and just having knee surgery, Karlsson being banged up and considered week-to-week, and Benn being hurt as well, I felt my championship (and cash winnings) slipping away. Kane has the 2nd most fantasy points and Marchand has the 8th most and is the top LW in the league as far as fantasy points go. Moving out 2 centres, I wanted a young one coming back and felt Barzal was a good catch.
    Anyways, I feel Marchand and Kane will lead me to a championship this year and hopefully next year for sure as well.

2nd team

Dobber Sports Veteran

Yea, I think what it evolved into it is definitely worse for you than the initial offer.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by plug View Post
    Yea, I think what it evolved into it is definitely worse for you than the initial offer.
    Really? The way I looked at it was
    Kane >> Seguin
    Marchand >>> Hall on IR
    Barzal <<< Pettersson and a 2nd round pick.

Obviously, if I break it down that way, Barzal for Pettersson and a second is hard to swallow but when looked at in the overall picture, Marchand is, again, obviously much better than a hurt Hall. And when going for the win, a lot of the advice on here seems to be to go for it. With these moves, I feel like I can definitely be in contention again next year.

2nd team

Dobber Sports Apprentice

If this is what it takes to win the championship this year so be it, but I think you lost long term. Way I see it long-term:

Pettersson > Kane
    Seguin >= Marchand (Depends on if Seguin has C/W eligibility and/or you count FOW)
    Hall > Barzal
    32 Team Dynasty With Cap (83.5M) - H2H Pts
    Skaters: G: 4, A: 2, PPP: 1, SHP: 2, SOG: 0.5, HIT: 0.5, BLK: 0.5, FOW: 0.1, +/-: 0.5
    Goalies: W: 6, SHO: 6, SV 0.25, GA: -2
    Positions: 3C, 6W, 3F, 6D, 2G, 3BN, 20 Prospects

C: McTavish, Newhook, Dellandrea, Parssinen, Sillinger, Jost
    W: Svechnikov, Guenther, Berggren, Krebs, Palat, Foudy
    D: Weresnki, Chabot, Ekholm, Krug, Pelech, Jensen, Forbort
    G: Blackwood, Ersson

Top Prospects: Smith (SJS), Savoie (BUF), Bourgault (EDM), Bourque (DAL), Perron (CAR), Korchinski (CHI), Nikishin (CAR), Jones (NYR), Cossa (DET), UPL (BUF), Daws (NJD)

Dobber Sports Sage

With Hall injured its a win now move plus you get two wingers for two centers.

It could bite you as quickly as next year IF Seguin bounces back from his slow first half AND pettersson takes another step forward AND Hall doesn't get injured.

Otherwise I don't see Kane dissapearing next season, qiite the opposite. If Marchand can not get suspended he'll still be elite and Barzal should continue to grow. Pettersson is a sexier name than Barzal but fantasy production wise will they be all that different? I mean Barzal has an 85 point rookie season under his belt and they are one year apart in age. Points only format they are both centers in the same tier for now imo.

You probably win this deal for the next 2-3 years and if you get a championship out of it this season it was worth it. I get that it's scary to be the one giving up the youth but this is the type of deal that can win it for you now, and next year.

I don't know why or how we are putting pettersson above Kane right now or three tiers above Barzal. You may love the way he plays and looks on the ice. I mean he does cool things that nobody else seems to do. But does that translate to him being that much better than these guys in fantasy? Kane is pacing for over 120 points. Do we think pettersson hits the century mark next season? I'll take the under on that given the team around him, the learning curb in the NHL, sophomore slump potential, his size/health.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Apprentice

you just lost the youngest elite players in the league vs some proven ones but older.

with that in mind, since you did make the trade, you jeopardize your future but will be competing in a win now mode for next 1-2 years.

i wouldn't have made the deal, because its always fun to have the cool trendy hot guy (Pettersson), but your return is ok too!
    Keep 6 - 14 team H2H Yahoo - Categories: G A P +/- PIM PPP SOG FW HIT BLK / GS W GAA SV% SHO
    C: T.Thompson, Aho
    LW: B.Tkachuk, M. Tkachuk
    RW:
    D: Dahlin, Fox, Mcavoy
    G:

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Well, to be honest, looking at my team, I think I'm in win now mode for the next few years with Crosby, Benn, and Burns. I definitely didn't want to move Pettersson but Marchand and Kane are both proven, top flight wingers who will definitely help me win for the next few years. I'll take championship money straight to the bank for next few years, keep my eye on the forums and dobberhockey, and pick up the next, shiny new "toy". I got Pettersson as a throw in when I traded Tavares for Hall. That deal was Tavares and a 3rd round pick for Hall, Pettersson and a second round pick.
    So if we looked at it another way, would anyone balk at a trade of Tavares, Seguin and a 3rd round pick for Kane, Marchand and Barzal? I think I would still make that trade all day long in my league with our point system.
    I really do appreciate all the comments and opinions. I use all the advice and opinions when I'm forming my next bunch of trades.

2nd team

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by knoble View Post
    Well, to be honest, looking at my team, I think I'm in win now mode for the next few years with Crosby, Benn, and Burns. I definitely didn't want to move Pettersson but Marchand and Kane are both proven, top flight wingers who will definitely help me win for the next few years. I'll take championship money straight to the bank for next few years, keep my eye on the forums and dobberhockey, and pick up the next, shiny new "toy". I got Pettersson as a throw in when I traded Tavares for Hall. That deal was Tavares and a 3rd round pick for Hall, Pettersson and a second round pick.
    So if we looked at it another way, would anyone balk at a trade of Tavares, Seguin and a 3rd round pick for Kane, Marchand and Barzal? I think I would still make that trade all day long in my league with our point system.
    I really do appreciate all the comments and opinions. I use all the advice and opinions when I'm forming my next bunch of trades.
    A winners mindset. I can't argue with anything in there. How quickly people forget that Barzal did last season what pettersson is doing this season, only Barzal did it a little bit better (i'm talking fantasy wise in your setup). He was also the same age as pettersson. You can't argue the numbers.

Marchand and Kane are very clear production upgrades on Hall and Seguin this season with halls injury, plus you only give up a producing top end center to gain two producing top end wingers. And I would bet that Marchand/Kane out produce Hall/Seguin (in your setup) next season and the season after that.

Does pettersson out produce Barzal next year? Possibly. You might even say probably but they are currently 4 points apart (I know pettersson has less games played but Barzal hasn't missed an NHL game yet in 1.75 seasons and pettersson has already missed 11 games in 0.75 seasons). Pettersson could see the sophomore slump next year or he may not. Either way, I just don't see him outproducing Barzal by enough next year to make up the difference and have you lose this trade. I do think pettersson is legit and a top end young talent. But in this setup barzal is being under valued.

I simply don't care about anything beyond three years from now and I think you win this trade starting today and for at least another two seasons. After 2-3 more years it probably won't look great but who cares.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Thanks for the response. That's been my biggest evolution from following the forums. When I first started wth keeper leagues, I was always trying to get younger players. Trade a proven star for the up and coming one. I am leaning more now to acquiring the 30 year old star but still trying to keep a few top young guys if possible.
    I see it with a lot of other teams in my league. On one hand, I shake my head at the deals they make, trading proven for potential, and then, I silently thank them for contributing to my championship earnings. Lol

2nd team