Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Are there any true servicable pim guys anymore?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Are there any true servicable pim guys anymore?

The category is destorying me! Might it be worth my wild to look at the wire?

Big Daddy

Default Re: Are there any true servicable pim guys anymore?

See my response to your same post in the D-man forum.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by DusterDave View Post
    See my response to your same post in the D-man forum.
    Thanks man wasn't sure where to post, forward centric pims vs d centric pims hahahha

Dobber Sports Expert

Pengwin7 made a great post regarding the Sharks reacquiring Michael Haley over here.

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    He's baaaaaack.
    The San Jose Sharks have claimed Haley (..."for some reason"... LOL).

If you need PIM... look for at least 2 fights from Haley in his first 5gp dressed with club.
    These guys (goons) only substantiate their place on a hockey club by doing what they CAN do... and for Haley, that's fighting.
    If SJ wants him, they want him to fight.

Next 5gp for SJ: @PIT, @CBJ, @DET, @BOS, then home vs. COL.
    Not many fighters on those teams... but...

Most likely:
    @PIT vs. Garrett Wilson (6-2, 199 lb, Elmvale, ON)
    @ BOS vs. Kevan Miller (6-2, 210, LA USA)

He's right on the money so far. Haley earned a 10-minute misconduct last night getting into a scuffle with Crosby of all people.

Dobber Sports Pro

Step 1: acquire Tom Wilson and Evander Kane
    Step 2: profit.

Administrator

Baseball analogy: very few home run hitters left so you'll have to settle for base hits.

Aside from the obvious culprits you're going to have to build a roster where everyone chips in together. That's why I like Fantasy Hockey Geek to assess player value in a league. With PIM being more rare each penalty carries more value. So if Player A gets you 40 PIM and Player B gets you 65, the difference should make more of a difference in player value today than it did years ago.

This might help you get going:
    https://frozenpool.dobbersports.com/...pool_stats.php

Sort by PIM, go down the list and find players who contribute a lot of PIM while not hurting you in other categories. In a 10-team league you'll find someone of value before long.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Both lucic and zadorov dont get much else done but they do get plenty of PIM and HITS! And should not be expensive
    Yahoo Full keeper Dynasty League |20 Teams, 23 Roster spots 4C 4LW 4RW 6D 2G 3BN
    Categories: G A +- PPP PIM FOW SOG HITS BLK | W SV GAA SV% SHO
    C - Crosby | Trocheck | Backstrom | Danault | Aho
    LW - Marchessault | Hertl
    | Fiala | Jost
    RW - Rantanen | Palmieri
    | Meier | Pavelski | Puljujarvi
    D - Ristolainen | Zadorov | C. Murphy
    | | Trouba | Edmundson | Giordano
    G -
    Fleury | Saros | Markström
    IR: Zucker
    Farm
    C - Borgstrom |
    Heponiemi | Hawryluk
    LW -
    RW - Tolvanen
    D - Juolevi
    G - Sorokin, Vehviläinen

Dobber Sports Demi-God

One other thing to look for...
    In March/April... the teams that are OUT of their playoff race... they start getting testy/chippy.
    There are very few goons left, but those that are on teams that are out of it are going to start gooning it up.
    They've got nothing to lose - a penalty, a goal against, a loss - it doesn't hurt their team.
    So they'll re-show what they CAN do (fight, misconduct) to cement their place in the NHL.

Off the top of my head though, unf, I can't name any goons on DET, NJ.
    OTT has a couple grinders, maybe Boro if available.

Once Buffalo falls out of the hunt, they might start getting chippy too.

My 2-3 big picks:
    Edmonton's Zach Kassian is gonna *pop* soon... he hasn't had a major since Dec. 22nd... so he's READY! This also means he's off the "Last 14 days", "Last 30 days" stat radars because it was longer than that when he racked up his PIM.

Vancouver's Antoine Roussel. Vancouver is still in playoff hunt, so he has to watch taking stupid penalties... but if they fall out of hunt, don't be surprised if he goes and totally gets a double misconduct. He's the type of guy who knows exactly where he is in the PIM leaderboard and would love to lead the league in that. Interesting, his last two *pops* were in the last game of last two months: 12pim on Dec31 vs. NJ, 14pim on Jan 23 vs. CAR. Maybe he's due at end of Feb too!!! LOL.

And Micheal Haley, back with SJ, probably has a fight or two coming up... though you missed the 10pim misconduct last night!
    Slate the game against COL maybe... if he & Zadorov feel chippy.

Dobber Sports Pro

I still think the play is to try to make a trade (or multiple trades) for a guy who scores and PIMs, rather than rostering PIM-only plugs.

Aside from Wilson and Kane, Domi is another solid trade target. Kid has 76 PIM in 61 games plus is scoring well.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by BreadManPanarin View Post
    I still think the play is to try to make a trade (or multiple trades) for a guy who scores and PIMs, rather than rostering PIM-only plugs.
    Easier said than done.
    Evander Kane only has 51pts... but in RHRS, which includes PIM, he's the #10 overall ranked player by Yahoo! (and their algorithm for overall value is solid, I've cross-checked it).
    Ain't nobody with half a mind trading a guy like that in a 6-offensive cat league format where one of those cats is PIM.

Punt it
    or
    Plug it

Those are the options.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Easier said than done.
    Evander Kane only has 51pts... but in RHRS, which includes PIM, he's the #10 overall ranked player by Yahoo! (and their algorithm for overall value is solid, I've cross-checked it).
    Ain't nobody with half a mind trading a guy like that in a 6-offensive cat league format where one of those cats is PIM.

Punt it
    or
    Plug it

Those are the options.
    That's fair. I guess I am spoiled with Wilson, Kane, Marchand, Malkin, Domi and Byfuglien in my league. I suppose I would be pretty tight fisted if anybody approached me about those guys. We count hits too.

Still worth inquiring though if he hasn't already. I added Wilson in the offseason by trading Demko straight up, and added Domi a few weeks ago by trading Delia straight up. Maybe he could cash in similarly by selling high on Binnington? People tend to overvalue young goalies, especially if they go on a tear for a while or high really strong pedigree.

Administrator

Kurtis Gabriel is making strides here fast, and with the injuries in NJ he might be able to sustain the nonsense down the stretch

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quick question notice a lot of pim oriented players I've eyed all tend to have low ice time totals should this be something I factor in?

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick060283 View Post
    Quick question notice a lot of pim oriented players I've eyed all tend to have low ice time totals should this be something I factor in?
    Of course it's a factor. Less ice time = less opportunity for shenanigans (or minor penalties, etc, which all add up) and also less opportunity to contribute in other categories. There's a reason guys like Gudas and Wilson really stand out as PIM contributors.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

What others have posted already. But if unable to find a key PIM guy, look for game rivalries, where you may end up with 1 or 2 fights. Habs vs toronto or boston, philly/pitts, etc

If not,

I also look at replaceable defensemen that you just change every week, but that will provide minimum of at least 100 in 3 of these 4 categories: 100 PIM, 100hits, 100SOG, 100 BLKs.