Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: 5 album challenge

Dobber Sports Giant

Default Re: 5 album challenge

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    I would say Metallica, but I am not sure if they fit the criteria or if people would agree with me :-)
    Kill em All
    Ride the Lightning
    Master of Puppets
    ...And Justice for All
    Garage Days Inc...

The issue is that most don’t consider Garage Days to be considered a real album. Which means the self titled album (Black Album) becomes the 5th album, and I personally think that the Black Album is brutal. ...And Justice for All is the last truly brilliant cover to cover album they did.

Rylant
    I'd count Metallica with the black album included.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by audiopile View Post
    I’m a huge fan and was thinking about it they only made 3 albums that are excellent, and 2 that are great but only filler to make a list of 5.

OK Computer
    The Bends
    Pablo Honey
    I totally love Pablo and The Bends (they also had an earlier EP called Drill with a great version of Thinking About You on it).

I've listened to OK Computer (and subsequent stuff) and I just don't get it, I honestly can't even listen to it.
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDog View Post
    I totally love Pablo and The Bends (they also had an earlier EP called Drill with a great version of Thinking About You on it).

I've listened to OK Computer (and subsequent stuff) and I just don't get it, I honestly can't even listen to it.
    You really should go back and give In Rainbows another chance. I think it could be their best album.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDog View Post

It's a real departure from the first two pop albums so I can understand it isn't for everyone. I can't recall anything else that really stood out for me at that time though. Have a look for top 100 for 1997 both pop and rock and compare the well known names and you'll see what I mean. Myself, I couldn't listen to any of that. Elton John, Celine Dion, are you kidding me? I'm in my early 20's and that stuff just won't fly. The rock stuff was a tad better with Offspring, Foo Fighters, and Sublime but the rest were all a generic flash in the pan.

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Wedgy View Post
    You really should go back and give In Rainbows another chance. I think it could be their best album.
    I think Ill have to do the same if you are so adamant.

Big Daddy

I was a really big Radiohead fan back when they were in their prime. Only got to see them live once and it really wasn’t anything special. But as far as records go, I’ll be in the minority here and say Kid A is my favourite. I remember when it first came out, it was like nothing I’ve ever heard before. I love that album from start to finish. Hard to compare it with OK Computer because they are very very different, but I’ll take Kid A any day of the week. Not a big fan of Pablo Honey because let’s be honest, it is just another Brit-Pop record. The Bends was a big Improvement. If I had to rank my favourite Radiohead albums it would be...

Kid A
    OK Computer
    Hail To The Theif (tempted to put this 2nd)
    The Bends

The rest of their stuff is alright but nothing I really ever listen to.

Dobber Sports Star

I am HOPING that Tool hits this list in the next couple of months.

Undertow
    Aenima
    Lateralus
    10,000 Days
    Upcoming album?

Rylant

Big Daddy

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    I am HOPING that Tool hits this list in the next couple of months.

Undertow
    Aenima
    Lateralus
    10,000 Days
    Upcoming album?

Rylant
    Tool is my second favourite band next to The Hip but I can’t get on board with saying 10,000 Days is a great album. It’s good but it isn’t great, let’s be honest. I’m hopeful for the upcoming record though, if it ever actually sees the light of day.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by DusterDave View Post
    Tool is my second favourite band next to The Hip but I can’t get on board with saying 10,000 Days is a great album. It’s good but it isn’t great, let’s be honest. I’m hopeful for the upcoming record though, if it ever actually sees the light of day.
    Ouch. 10,000 Days is my favourite Tool album. No question to me; it is amazing cover to cover.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Veteran

It's not the first time I've had to say this, but I'm a fool! Went back and listened to some Radiohead that I somehow overlooked and well, wow. What was I doing back then that I essentially missed two great albums from a band I consider to be my generation's Pink Floyd? In a word, a girl. Yup. She preferred Elliot Smith type stuff to Radiohead and well, who am I to argue?

audiopile's Radiohead Top 5 Greatest Albums V.2

OK Computer (Airbag EP is 100% pure ecstasy by the way)
    The Bends
    Hail to the Thief
    Kid A / Amnesiac
    In Rainbows

(thanks for the brain wedgie Atomic Wedgie)

In an effort to repent my sins I bring you two more lists, also from my top 10-15 favorite bands:

Pavement

Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain
    Slanted and Enchanted
    Brighten the Corners
    Wowee Zowee
    Terror Twilight

Cloud Cult

The Meaning of 8
    Advice from the Happy Hippopotamus
    Feel Good Ghosts
    Light Chasers
    Love

As I write these lists and think about other bands who released more than 5 full length albums I can't help but come to the conclusion that a typical band will do their best work early and then fade out as they gain popularity. An example for me is The Offspring. I would say their best album was their first ST, Ignition second, Smash in third and so on until people stopped listening... Same goes for The Smashing Pumpkins. * I stopped trying to find bands about 5 years ago. Guess I'm "old".*

Dobber Sports Immortal

Well...this thread made me realize how much music I'm missing out on....so I listened to Bowie for about 4 hours this morning. It was awesome.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Not sure how many big prog rock fans out there but:

Rush (7 in a row!)

A Farewell to Kings
    Hemispheres
    Permanent Waves
    Moving Pictures
    Signals
    Grace Under Pressure

Genesis

Nursery Crime
    Foxtrot
    Selling England by the Pound
    The Lamb lies down on broadway
    A trick of the tail
    20 Team Dynasty H2H League: Devils (Rebuild Mode)
    5th Year
    G=1.5, A=1, PPP=.25, SHP=.25, BLK=.1, HIT=.1, SOG=1, FOW=+.1, FOL=-.1, GA=-1, SV=+.1, SHO=4, W=3

C : Hischier, Horvat,
    W : Marner, P. Kane, Fiala
    D : Provorov, Bouchard
    G : Campbell, Francouz

Minors:
    C : Tomasino, Rossi, Khustnutdinov, Amirov, Stankoven,
    W : N. Robertson, Maccelli,
    D : Addison, Farrance, Morrow, Heinola, Rathbone
    G : Annunen, Thompson

Dobber Sports Pro

The toughest thing for me is getting past the vocals with Rush.
    HTH Daily League, 8 teams, (goals, ppp, +/-, assists, SOG, W, GAA, SV%) keepers in Bold.

C (s3) EP40, ​Trocheck, Marchessault LW, Horvat

LW (s3) Johnny Hockey, Parise, Terivinen RW, Meier RW
    RW(s3) Wheeler C, Taresenko, Atkinson, Gallagher
    Until(s1)

D (s4) Carlson, Yandle, Jones, Trouba

G Dubnyk, Rittich, Markstrom, Binnington

IR Ehlers, Hall

Big Daddy

Rush is a great band and I actually enjoy Geddy Lee’s unique voice. While I have quite a few of their records, I will admit to being more of a greatest hits type of fan.

Fans of progressive rock may want to check out Opeth, but only their latest 3 albums. They are a very unique band that started off as a progressive death metal band and evolved into purely prog rock. Their new sound is sort of a mix of Rush and Deep Purple in my opinion. If you aren’t a fan of heavy music (and death growls) their earlier stuff isn’t for you (but it is much, much better!).

This post makes me want to create a Top 5 Greatest Album Artwork thread. I bet it would be just as interesting.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by DusterDave View Post

This post makes me want to create a Top 5 Greatest Album Artwork thread. I bet it would be just as interesting.
    Do It!!!

Iron Maiden - Killers.......

WHL - World Hockey League (24 Team - Daily H2H)

Maine Moose 2021-2022

2019 WHL GM of the Year #Supersoft

Dobber Sports Genius

Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where, uh, Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Christy, take off your robe. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. Sabrina, remove your dress. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Sabrina, why don't you, uh, dance a little. Take the lyrics to "Land of Confusion". In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. "In Too Deep" is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as, uh, anything I've heard in rock. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like "In the Air Tonight" and, uh, "Against All Odds". But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is "Sussudio", a great, great song, a personal favorite.

#AmericanPsycho
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.