Thread: At what point does going after quality backups make sense? Ros/ starters getting "time off"

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default At what point does going after quality backups make sense? Ros/ starters getting "time off"

Since goalies make up half our cats in my league and most teams are rolling with 5 goalies for 2 nightly spots it doesn't leave much in the way of talent available on the wire. I was recently looking and seeing guys like Louis Domingue for TB... and other quality backups but not really starters! At what point does it make sense to maybe grab a couple those type guys as teams might give their starter a little more time off leading into the real world playoffs? If not grab hold and use, maybe start looking into them as a streaming option? Has anyone had this work for them? Who would be good streaming targets?

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: At what point does going after quality backups make sense? Ros/ starters getting "time off"

You have 2 rate categories, 3 volume categories, and shutouts.

Quality backups will be useful in a number of situations:

1. Starter is injury-prone or older and misses games
    2. Starter is actually not good (Jake Allen, I'm talking to you.)
    3. Team has a lot of back-to-backs, especially on low schedule nights.
    4. Starter is rumored to be traded.

Guys like Saros are likely already rostered in your league. If Nillson isn't, he's worth it, he's been generally decent this year, and forcing Ottawa into a trade or hold or sign decision.

I'd look at the quality start percentage stat to try and find useful guys on your wire.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.