Thread: How to promote more trading

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default How to promote more trading

Any tips/ideas?
    It feels like I've thrown out hundreds of trades this year and only have had success with 2 being accepted. I traded Drouin for Getzlaf and I traded Patches for Bobrovsky.
    It's difficult since it's a one year league. There isn't the extra incentive to trade draft picks and a few guys in our league have said they don't have interest in trades since they think it's pointless in a one year league. It seems like most guys in our league are stunted. They get very defensive if a trade is offered to them. As in you know something they don't know so they automatically shut it down. It seems like the only time a trade goes through is if someone takes a big risk - trading a top 20 guy for a slumping 100th ranked guy.
    So a guy would have to trade off his Zibenejad (ranked 20) or DeBrincat (ranked 34) for Laine (ranked 98) or Benn (ranked 90). Is this how all leagues are? I look at the advanced stats to see who should pick it up but in the end it seems like the risk is way more than the reward considering how difficult my league makes it to get any trades done.
    12 team Yahoo, G-4, A-3, PPP-1, +/- 0.15, Hits/Blocks/Shots-0.3, W-5, Sv-0.27, GA-(-1.1), SO-3

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: How to promote more trading

Sometimes that's how it is in one-year pools. The more competitive it is though, the more you have to rely on trades to fill needs rather than the waiver wire. Competitiveness and maybe a bit of showmanship is what you're looking for. Maybe that comes with an expansion team or two, or maybe some deeper rosters.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

That league format doesn't seem conducive to trades.

For a 1 yr league, I think you need categories (eg. H2H or Roto) so that you can motivate a trade by offering someone what they lack.

This overall points total makes it pretty uninspiring to move a player. Perhaps you can sell high on a nobody for a slumping star, but that's about it. And like you state, most people are intuitive to then question what they're missing out on when you target one of their players..

Dobber Sports Sophomore

That's what I'm starting to find. This is my 5th year in a one league pool, probably joining a keeper too in the off season after my disappointment in our league this year.
    I'd say it's a very competitive league - first is 12-6, 10th is 7-11 then 11th and 12th are out of it. Everyone is pretty involved except the guy in last. We cut our rosters down from 28 guys to 23 guys this year in an attempt to have a deeper waiver pool for players. Most guys would stream goalies with their 5 waiver picks a week It didn't really work - everyone is still streaming goalies like mad. Do you think having a larger roster would help combat this and promote more trades?

Administrator

You can't force it. Some formats encourage trading more than others but at the end of the day it takes two people to agree to a trade.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Titan

If there's less on the wire then it makes it less enticing to trade. And if you're having streaming issues maybe 5 adds per week is too much. 4 seems pretty standard, but you could try 3 too.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by striderz View Post
    That league format doesn't seem conducive to trades.

For a 1 yr league, I think you need categories (eg. H2H or Roto) so that you can motivate a trade by offering someone what they lack.

This overall points total makes it pretty uninspiring to move a player. Perhaps you can sell high on a nobody for a slumping star, but that's about it. And like you state, most people are intuitive to then question what they're missing out on when you target one of their players..
    I do think you're right with a categories league. It almost seems like ours is too generalized for anyone to really have to overly care to do okay. What would you suggest for a points setup that is conducive to trading? We used to have G-2,A-1, W-5,SO-3 but 3 guys were going to leave for a category league. We tried to combine a category and points league scoring system but it seems like it may have just made a mess of the scoring system in the end?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    You can't force it. Some formats encourage trading more than others but at the end of the day it takes two people to agree to a trade.
    The can't force it is good, might explain why the majority of my past trades haven't worked out in my favor ha ha. I ended up making a check list to review before doing trades with "Don't rush it" as the first point.

Dobber Sports Jedi

only thing really to do...

make rosters larger/deeper.
    really limit waiver moves - 1 per week etc.

deplete it and then prevent its use.
    Teams need an upgrade...
    trading is the primary option
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

The Great One

I only play in one 1-year league (with co-workers) and there has been 1 trade all year (by me). Most years there are no trades. I just find that is the nature of 1-year leagues. If you want to be involved in trades, look for a keeper format.

The Great One

Be in a league with GMs experienced in the format you have. The biggest impediment to trades is GMs are too inexperienced to recognize a fair trade or one the benefits both GMs based on the format. They tend to over-value their roster and it leads to all trade offers being rejected unless they are horrificly one sided.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    Be in a league with GMs experienced in the format you have. The biggest impediment to trades is GMs are too inexperienced to recognize a fair trade or one the benefits both GMs based on the format. They tend to over-value their roster and it leads to all trade offers being rejected unless they are horrificly one sided.
    I think this hits the nail on the head. Our GMs, myself included at times, over value the shit out of players that they originally drafted.