Thread: Potential Mega Trade (their McDavid ++ for my Ovie ++) = Stumped

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Potential Mega Trade (their McDavid ++ for my Ovie ++) = Stumped

Deal is as follows:

Their: Connor McDavid, Jonathan Huberdeau and Dominik Kahun and a 4th
    My: Alexander Ovechkin, Evgeni Malkin, Mark Stone and a 1st

Had this landed in my inbox earlier in the year I'd probably be all over it .... I mean it's McDavid but I just pushed hard to get Seguin and O'Reilly to round out my team. Looking forward I must admit I like the prospects, plus moving older players for younger; my probable keepers become McDavid, Seguin, Marner, Huberdeau, and Fleury, right now my keepers are likely Ovie, Malkin, Seguin, Marner, Fleury.

Thought here does it pay to be competative with a better team next year and semi competative in the playoffs this year, or just ride along and go for it (I know the cardinal sin is giving up a chance to win when you have it). By making the move would it decimate this years chances? The team offering is in second place 15 points ahead of me and I know this would really seal a lot for him. The wrench, you never know in h2h playoffs.

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Potential Mega Trade (their McDavid ++ for my Ovie ++) = Stumped

I would keep what you have.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Kahun is the noticeable outlier - basically, I think someone is trying to capitalize on his recent success, when he's hardly established. In addition, they want a 1st back?

I say "Decline". Kahun is a ? and you don't want to give up a 1st here.

Edit: Meant to add, I'm in a 14 team points only league and Kahun is available as an FA, although I will suggest that some of our GM's are asleep at the switch (some have utterly useless wingers). Just an indication that there are plenty of players somewhat better than Kahun who would be available.
    Fantrax 3 Year Keeper League (11 keepers; 3 yr contract); 14 teams, 20 player roster (15 weekly starters; 5 man bench)

Dress 3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6 D (Set once weekly, prior to Monday's games)

***Contract year indicates starting year of final contract year (ie: 2019 = 2019-2020 season)

Heading into the draft Roster:
    C - Pettersson (2020), Larkin (2019), Barzal (2019)
    LW - Meier (2020), Hall (2020)
    RW - Mantha (2020), Svechnikov (2020), Wheeler (2019; acquired pre-draft)
    D - Hronek (2020), C Makar (2020), Klingberg (2019l acquired pre-draft)

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I'm inclined the same... Kahun is ok but the real kicker for me is what stone brings on my squad versus trading him!

Dobber Sports Sage

I don't like the trade as is but if you can tweak it a bit...

Essentially, if you can drop the picks and don't have a realistic chance at winning this season then I see some merritt in acquiring mcdavid here. This is a keep 5 and his owner has an advantage every year for the next decade.

If you have a realistic chance at winning this season then you probably have to pass.

This could be one of mcdavids worst seasons for the next several years (hard to fathom) so his stock may never be lower just because of how bad Edmonton has been.

Let's not forget this is a keep 5 and how important top end talent is. That said you ought not to sacrifice 2 seasons (this year and next) of winning just to own the best keeper.

Keepet wise id rather mcdavid/hubs than OV/Malkin but not at the cost of non competitiveness this year and next year.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Would you guys recommend any big tweaks to my new roster... trying to find a goalie or maybe one d?