Thread: Limited Moves - Need To Secure The $$$ (rep)

Big Daddy

Default Limited Moves - Need To Secure The $$$ (rep)

So here is the scenario....

1 Year League
    Points Only
    G - 5
    A - 3
    PPP - 1
    W - 5
    SO - 3

Limited to 3 moves per season, already used 1 move so 2 remain. Trying to decide if I should use 1 or both right now. Ideally I would like to save those moves for closer to the end of the season and grab a couple hot hands to finish the season. Or of course, use them if my team were to be hit with long term injuries. I currently sit in first place but my lead is slipping. At one point I had a 200+ point lead, as it stands today the lead is down to 169.

Full Roster (11-F, 4-D, 2-G)

Connor McDavid
    Brayden Point
    Artemi Panarin
    Aleksander Barkkov
    Sean Monahan
    Kyle Connor
    Elias Lindholm
    Mike Hoffman
    Evgeni Dadonov
    Clayton Keller
    Rickard Rakell

Victor Hedman (DTD)
    Brent Burns
    Rasmus Ristolainen (DTD)
    Ryan Pulock

Devan Dubnyk
    John Gibson (IR)

The main 2 players in question are the Anaheim duo, Rakell and Gibson. Gibson has been wasting away on IR and I've been considering dropping him for Binnington but he is an unknown so we don't really know if he can sustain his crazy form. Also, goalies don't earn as many points as skaters so I am reluctant to use a move on a goalie. Carey Price and Robin Lehner are two other options.

Rakell has been a big let down so he is an option to drop. But so has Keller and Pulock. I'm tempted to drop one of them but same as goalies go, I don't want to waste a move on a D-man. So do I drop Rakell or wait for an injury?

At the end of the day I think it is best to wait for an injury or wait a bit longer to see if my lead continues to drop, but opinions are always welcome.

Some names available...

DeBrincat
    Zibanejad
    Parise
    Domi
    Meier
    Drouin
    Gustafsson
    Ekholm
    Weber
    Petry

Stand pat and be patient or go for the kill and risk injury?
    PAT QUINN MEMORIAL CUP
    Clouds of Blood
    12 Team Head-to-Head
    G-A-PPP-SOG-FW-HIT-BLK / W-GAA-SV%-SV
    24 Man Roster
    Keep: 6 Forwards, 4 Defencemen, 1 Goaltender & 1 Prospect
    Keepers:
    C - McDavid, Matthews, Aho
    LW - Panarin
    RW - Pastrnak
    D - Hedman, Hamilton, Doughty, Burns
    G - Markström
    P - Cayden Primeau

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Re: Limited Moves - Need To Secure The $$$ (rep)

How many do you start at each position and is it daily? I lean towards using one move now and saving one for later.

I added Zibanejad back in October. Outside of one cold stretch (4 points in 8 games, all 4 were in 1 game) he has been absolute money and he would likely be my add in your format.

The add and drop depend on positional eligibility and weekly VS daily starts though. With only 2 moves it's worth working out off night schedules and how many starts you could get from each player if it's daily at this stage.

Edit: I just noticed forward positions don't matter. My bad for missing it. In that case zibby is worth adding imo. And counting positions you start 11 forwards and only have 11 on your roster so it doesn't look like you have a bench.

So I'd like to drop Gibson as I dont see him getting a ton of points in this format but that would leave you with 12 forwards. Does that mean you have to bench one nightly?
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Big Daddy

Sorry, left out some info. No bench. Start 11-F, 4-D and 2-G. Drops have to be one for one postionally. Drop a F for a F, drop a D for a D or drop a G for a G.

Dobber Sports Sage

Gotcha so point differential on position is what matters. Ie: how many more points does zibby or debrincat get over Rakell, Keller, or dadanov (practising on pp2) VS price over Gibson VS Gustafsson or weber over pulock.

It's a bit like throwing darts while blindfolded to be honest and changes my answer. Sure I think zibby will out point those 3 but I'm not sure which one scores the least for the rest of the season meaning there's about a 66 percent chance I make the wrong decision and lose out on points. Plus any one of those forwards could out point Zibanejad the rest of the way if they got hot and went on a streak. I don't think they will but they all have the ability to possibly do it.

I might go with the 'surer' thing in price over Gibson. I can see Anaheim really taking their time with his injury as they are not realistically making the playoffs anyway. Where price has been really good and will get a ton of starts, he almost certainly out points Gibson by a decent margin the rest of the way.

Because you're already in the lead I think a safe play is in order, you don't need to hit a home run. A single probably wins the game. I'd definitely save the last move for an injury.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Titan

You have an injury to Gibson already, and it's not like he's going to do much when he gets back (and ANA probably won't rush him). I would go with Price as well.

Very tempting to then grab Zib over Rakell, but as MZac was saying, you just need a single. I hold the last move until the 5-10 of March, and if you don't have an injury by then, swap a F out for Rakell. Zib or Debrincat.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Big Daddy

You guys would take Price over Binnington?

I’m just hesitant to use a move on a goalie.

Dobber Sports Titan

Price you're more sure to get starts. Who knows, Allen could take back over 2/3 of the starts to close out the year.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by DusterDave View Post
    You guys would take Price over Binnington?

I’m just hesitant to use a move on a goalie.
    I'm confident either will get more points than Gibson for ROS. I don't have the same level of confidence in the forwards or D men. Ie the margin of error is higher, more likely to get it wrong and waste a move. At least with the goalies you are almost certainly going to get more points than Gibson. I get the hesitation and if you were in 2nd right now trying to catch first I'd swing harder and probably go for it with 2 forwards knowing full well it could work out and win but that I could also fall to 5th. In your situation there is no sense taking on that type of risk even though the upside is much higher. Take the sure thing in point differential and re assess in a few weeks with your final move.

And yes id take price over Winnington for the next 20ish games. I'll take proven over unsustainably hot most of the time.

Forwards:

Defense:

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Jedi

the way Binn has played, I really don't see Allen getting the crease back. This has Hamburglar written all over it, just with better pedigree. Personally, I'd swing for the fences with the white hot - Blues G. & would hold the final move for the stretch drive.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I definitely want to make a move for a goalie. While Parise, Zibanejad, etc look really good, the drop is harder to figure.

I'd drop Gibson for one of Price, Binnington, or Lehner. Probably Price, since he's likely to get the most starts.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Big Daddy

Thanks for the replies guys. Anyone else?

Big Daddy

Thanks everyone. I made the move for Price and am saving my last move for sometime in March. Rep’d everyone I could.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by DusterDave View Post
    Thanks everyone. I made the move for Price and am saving my last move for sometime in March. Rep’d everyone I could.
    Good move. Anaheim is being pretty hush hush with Gibson. I wouldn't be completely surprised if the Ducks shut Gibson down for the season. He has a neck/head injury and they're terrible so there isn't a lot of incentive to get better.

It's a tough decision since goalies aren't ranked as high as players in your league but with Gibson hurt, you're getting nothing from him. Price is definitely a safer option than Binnington but Binnington may have a higher ceiling right now since the Blues are so hot. He's eventually gotta come back down to Earth though.