Thread: Who to replace Taylor Hall with? Backstrom? Barzal? Other?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Who to replace Taylor Hall with? Backstrom? Barzal? Other?

Hi guys,

I'm in a 18 team (18 players per team) dynasty keep 7 cap hit league that follows NHL cap ceiling. I'm currently in championship position but very close are second, third and fourth place. I have been stuck with Taylor injured for several months and I feel like I almost have no choice but to trade him in order to get a productive forward in return for the rest of the season. It's annoying me because Taylor Hall is an amazing value at 6M$ and being able to do 90+ points in a season and entering his prime in terms of age for a forward. I'm looking for a replacement that will be a good long term addition to my team on top of being active for the rest of the season.

I have been offered Nicklas Backstrom by one GM of the league and Barzal by another.
    Backstrom is aging and Barzal without Tavares is a question mark to me.

I tried to get many other GMs to trade me other good players but without any success (Marchand, Wheeler, Gaudreau, Barkov, Monahan, Pastrnak), people really fall in love with their players.

So, who would you prefer for the next several years to maximize points? Barzal or Backstrom? Or if you have any other ideas of players not mentioned above, feel free to give ideas. (My current keep 7 are Seguin, Scheifele, Crosby, Hall, Karlsson, Chabot, and I'm not sure between Keller, Atkinson, Rakell or Pulock for the 7th. The player I'm trying to get in the trade will replace Hall in my keeper 7. If you want to venture into giving your opinion regarding the 4 players I'm hesitating between as a 7th keeper, it will also be appreciated!

Thanks!
    7 Keepers Salary Cap League (81.5M Cap)/ 18 Teams / 10 FW, 5 D, 2G, 1 Bench). Every 10 games, we compute Top 8 forwards, top 4 Ds and top goalie for those 10 games, then we store the points and computer for the next 10 games, so on and so forth.
    FW: 1pt = 1 FPt
    D: 1pt = 1 FPt & +/- = +or- 1 FPt
    G: (TOI*0.05/GAA)

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Who to replace Taylor Hall with? Backstrom? Barzal? Other?

Points only I think I would go Barzal. Better cap hit for now, and I don't think he gets his big pay day right off the bat, so he shouldn't be too pricy for you moving forward.
    As for the 7th keeper, I lean towards Keller.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Points only I think I would go Barzal. Better cap hit for now, and I don't think he gets his big pay day right off the bat, so he shouldn't be too pricy for you moving forward.
    As for the 7th keeper, I lean towards Keller.
    Is there a big difference in points short term going forward between Barzal and Backstrom in your mind? Also, Keller only for points because you think he will produce more than others or mainly because of his cap hit?
    7 Keepers Salary Cap League (81.5M Cap)/ 18 Teams / 10 FW, 5 D, 2G, 1 Bench). Every 10 games, we compute Top 8 forwards, top 4 Ds and top goalie for those 10 games, then we store the points and computer for the next 10 games, so on and so forth.
    FW: 1pt = 1 FPt
    D: 1pt = 1 FPt & +/- = +or- 1 FPt
    G: (TOI*0.05/GAA)

Dobber Sports Ace

You are in championship position, so go with Backstrom here. He has a very reasonable cap hit, which also includes next year.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I'd take Barzal, due to the huge advantages in age and cap hit for next year. After next year, they will both be getting new contracts, but I suspect Barzal won't be earning a lot more than Backstrom, but he will be 9.5 years younger, and likely a solid keeper in your format.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    I'd take Barzal, due to the huge advantages in age and cap hit for next year. After next year, they will both be getting new contracts, but I suspect Barzal won't be earning a lot more than Backstrom, but he will be 9.5 years younger, and likely a solid keeper in your format.
    Ignore my first post. I thought that Barzal was on an expiring ELC. Go with Barzal.

Dobber Sports Titan

Just to clarify on Keller as you asked, I think it's both the highest upside, and the lower contract.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)