Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: [TRADE] Talbot to Philly

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default [RUMOR] Cam Talbot to PHI

Darren Dreger

Word is the Oilers and Flyers are in trade discussions on Cam Talbot. Could be preliminary, but they’re definitely talking.

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/sta...77104809213953
    Evansville Icemen District-5 Ducks
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    G A PT SOG STA STG TRUC FOW
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP HIT BLK FOW
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Re: [RUMOR] Cam Talbot to PHI

So weird to me. What are the Flyers getting out of this? Do they really want another goalie who failed somewhere else?

Dobber Sports Sage

This is the organization that traded for Steve Mason and dealt away a multiple Vezina winner. Anything can happen there.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

This does not make sense to me either. Not one bit. Talbot is a UFA next year... and he is likely not gonna want to sign to be a backup.

And The Oilers are not in it, so the out of conference to Philly then Philly turn around and trade back to the West does not make sense either.

Unless the Flyers think that they are gonna make a run for playoffs and want some insurance so they don't through Hart to the wolves too much this year.

Dobber Sports Veteran

It works for the Oilers to swap Elliott and Talbot, the difference in salary is just enough for the Oilers to activate Sekera and stay under the cap. They just need to give Philly a reason to do it.

Dobber Sports Sage

Elliott is supposedly healthy and will rejoin the team soon. Elliott is better than Talbot. Something doesnt add up.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Glatt View Post
    Elliott is supposedly healthy and will rejoin the team soon. Elliott is better than Talbot. Something doesnt add up.
    Intern GM said he's willing to deal picks I thought. But I don't get why.

Elliot for Talbot + Pick would be how I see it.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    It works for the Oilers to swap Elliott and Talbot, the difference in salary is just enough for the Oilers to activate Sekera and stay under the cap. They just need to give Philly a reason to do it.

And Hart is better than both of them and the Flyers have the cap room (wow it feels weird saying that comment)

So if the Oilers are gonna sweeten the pot and add a pick or something then why not. Both goalies are UFA...next year and if the Oilers need the cap room for Sekera.. it could turn out to be a nice addition of a 3rd round pick.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Administrator

I'd rather go with Hart/Elliott or Hart/Stolarz. I don't think Talbot brings anything they don't already have. At best he's interchangeable with Elliott.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Intern GM said he's willing to deal picks I thought. But I don't get why.

Elliot for Talbot + Pick would be how I see it.
    I know its the Soilers so wacky "logic" applies, but how does adding Elliott help the Soilers? Why spend a pick to get a different backup G who will be leaving just like Talbot would.
    Perhaps something we dont know about has occurred behind the scenes and they need to buy Talbot a quick ticket out of town, ala Hoffman?

Maybe the Soliers just really like Elliott and want to get him now and re-sign him?

Dobber Sports Veteran

I know its the Soilers so wacky "logic" applies, but how does adding Elliott help the Soilers? Why spend a pick to get a different backup G who will be leaving just like Talbot would.
    Perhaps something we dont know about has occurred behind the scenes and they need to buy Talbot a quick ticket out of town, ala Hoffman?

Maybe the Soliers just really like Elliott and want to get him now and re-sign him?
    I mentioned above that swapping Elliott and Talbot give the Oilers cap the cap relief they need this year. I've also seen Oilers fans say they could use it as a trial-run for Elliott as back-up next year but I don't see a scenario where the Oilers can afford to spend more than $1M on a back-up next year which would likely put Elliott out of their price range.

Dobber Sports Genius

I didn’t understand how this would make sense but I just read on The Score that Hart and Talbot are friends.

I remember watching the game between these teams two weeks ago and they were showing the goalies chit chatting, mentioned how they train together in the summer and that Talbot has been a mentor to Hart so with all that it would make sense to bring Talbot on and sign him just beyond the Seattle draft. This would also help the Flyers avoid going into next season with an injury prone vet like Elliot/Neuvirth or and injury prone youngster like Stolarz to accompany Hart and that leads into my next thought.

For it to work though I believe it would be Stolarz going to Edm and not Elliot. For Edm they would be getting a big goalie with untapped upside who is under team control and would offer huge cap savings on his next contract. This would also mean they bring something tangible in as opposed to just watching a UFA walk in the off season which is most likely.

If Elliot comes back from his conditioning stint soon enough he could be dealt to a team that has run into a goalie squeeze at the moment like Vancouver was or simply get waived.

Flyers could also send Hart back down too for the rest of the year, acknowledge that the season is a write off and justify sending him down to help the Phantoms take a run at their own championship while saving the mentorship program for next year.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

The Great One

I don't know how to embed tweets (not even sure if that is something we can do on this site), but does anyone know the story behind this tweet from Dreger?

As we know, Talbot and Carter Hart have a good relationship. Could be a good fit for Talbot if it progresses.
    How do Talbot and Hart know each other? If they really do know each other, and there is some sort of mentor-type relationship, I guess the deal might make sense for Philly.

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/sta...78322923159552

EDIT: nvm...hockeymanG23 explained this just above my post. Sorry.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Administrator

Reputations generally last longer in the hockey world than in the fantasy world and especially so at a position where no one even has a clue how to evaluate talent. In a world where Cam Ward is still getting big money contracts is anyone shocked that an NHL team would have interest in giving Talbot a spin a couple of years after an impressive run?

I am more interested in where this rumour came from. Who is leaking it? The agent to help move the player? One of the teams to drum up fan interest and or test the temperature?
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    Reputations generally last longer in the hockey world than in the fantasy world and especially so at a position where no one even has a clue how to evaluate talent. In a world where Cam Ward is still getting big money contracts is anyone shocked that an NHL team would have interest in giving Talbot a spin a couple of years after an impressive run?

I am more interested in where this rumour came from. Who is leaking it? The agent to help move the player? One of the teams to drum up fan interest and or test the temperature?
    Last time Fletcher got a goalies that struggled in Edmonton... he turned out to be a star... Dubnyk! But the Flyers don't have the same defensive system in place like when Fletcher acquired Dubnyk. And I know Dubnyk bounced around a bit before Fletcher got him... but still... just maybe!