Thread: Deadline Advice (I'll rep!)

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Deadline Advice (I'll rep!)

Guys, I need some advice.

I'm in a 16 team league, H2H points, 1-2 keepers, lineup weekly locks. I'm 9-8 and in the final playoff spot.

A few weeks ago I decided to go all in for the playoff push, but with the stupid weekly lineup lock, I lost the week that I did the trades in. I'm sitting 4th overall in points for, but 8th in the standings because we're split into 4 divisions, and 2 division leaders are 8-9...

I'm losing this week so far 87-68.8 (I'm losing to the 1st place team), and my team is actually killing it this week. After this week, I face 2 teams I should beat, but would need to beat them to have a shot at the playoffs. I've been really stubborn about selling as I've done well all yr for a team who didn't start with much (I went for it last yr and traded picks and won the league), but should I face the facts or try and defy some odds?

Do I sell off my team? I have the guy in first bugging me for trades. Below is my team:

F(6): MacKinnon, Lindholm, Wheeler, T.Wilson, Scheifele, Pettersson, Jamie Benn, Parise
    D(4): Carlson, Dahlin, Morrissey, Spurgeon, Muzzin
    G(2): Rask, Jones, Rittich, Kinkaid

Picks I have are slim: 1,2,6,7,8,10,11,12,13,14,15,15,16,16,17,17,17

Guy has offered up Matthews in a 2for1 deal, his 3rd,6,8,9 rounders in trades for a goalie+.

I feel like if I traded, I would IDEALLY, trade to keep Matthews+MacKinnon, get 2 3rd round picks to draft goalies/players, and then depth to try and recapture next yr.

Point totals:
    G=3pts, A=2pts, PIM=0.3pts/min, PPP=1pt, SHG=2pts, W=4pts, GA=(-1)pt, Sv=0.2pts, SHO=3pts

Deadline is Thursday Feb 21st. But for trades to effect Feb18-24th week, need to be processed by Sunday.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: Deadline Advice (I'll rep!)

With saying you won last year, I say you go all-in.
    There is something VERY special about about being a back-to-back CHAMP in a big (16-team) pool.

In these types of "limited keepers", teams really need to go ALL-IN or ALL-OUT.
    You are already without your 3/4/5 picks.

In a 16-team "start 2G" league, I'd guess it would be REALLY hard to win without goalies.
    You have three good starters (BOS/SJ/CGY) so I think you are in good position for a run THIS year - but you'd have to drop all those guys in off-season... likely not getting them back.

But next year, without the 3/4/5 picks - it will be incredibly difficult to win.
    (Top 20 sleepers like Elias Lindholm aren't always found in late rounds like you probably did this year. Count your luck there.)
    So... I say you SELL MORE picks and bolster your line-up as much as possible.

MacKinnon and Dahlin are your future keepers in this league.
    A goalie... well, you have to draft one. If you win, your (1) pick probably MUST get you a goalie - but would that be the 16th best goalie AFTER keepers.
    Who knows what that gets you?
    So maybe look to sell your (1) AND your (2) and basically go to TANK-CITY next year.
    There's nothing wrong with that because you just spend ALL of 2020-2021 loading up on hot players, selling them for draft pick (or pick upgrades) in 2021.

There's simply no legacies in limited partial keepers like this.
    A wise team in the mid-bottom (teams 9-24) will go ALL-OUT and collect draft picks, loading up for promise next year.
    And a wise team in the top (top 8) will sell ALL their draft picks... and go ALL-IN this year.

This likely team strategy choice makes a REPEAT nearly impossible.
    And for me... that's why you go after this year... because pulling off a REPEAT in a league like this is extremely rare and worth the all-time bragging rights.

Dobber Sports Titan

Should have mentioned, picks 1 and 2 and the "Keeper picks". If I trade pick 2, I can only keep 1 player.

UPDATE
    Well, I moved my 6,7,8 picks for Seguin.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Should have mentioned, picks 1 and 2 and the "Keeper picks". If I trade pick 2, I can only keep 1 player.

UPDATE
    Well, I moved my 6,7,8 picks for Seguin.
    That's a great trade for you

Dobber Sports Titan

I managed to go 2-1 since this trade, got some help this last week by the two guys I was chasing losing. I'm 7th now, facing 2nd ranked guy this week.

I win this week, I get my money back ($20). It'll be interesting!
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Demi-God

^Nice work!
    Nothing like a shot at the REPEAT!!!

Dobber Sports Sage

Well done OG, takes some stones to go for it like that when you're on the fringe. Hoping it works out for you. Good advise from P7. Winning is everything in fantasy!
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):