Thread: C Makar and Q Hughes salary?

Dobber Sports Ace

Default C Makar and Q Hughes salary?

Does anyone have any idea what these two will likely sign for?

Will they get these “bonus” contracts that drive their AAV into the $3m area or more like a
    $1m-$1.5m.

I never know what determines whether a player gets bonuses or not.
    6 Team no limit Keeper. Cap league $100m
    Points only G/A=1, Hattrick = +3, Wins = 2, SO = +3, OTL/SOL = +1
    12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies, 6 Reserve (any position)

Forwards
    Crosby $8.7
    Stone $9.5
    Svechnikov $7.7
    Debrincat $6.4
    Hall $6
    Meier $6
    Guentzel $6
    Ehlers $6
    Hertl $5.6
    Konecny $5.5
    Palat $5.3
    JT Miller $5.2
    Garland $4.9
    Kakko $.9
    Laff $.9

Defense
    Josi $9
    Burns $8
    Letang $7.2
    Nurse $5.6
    Werenski $5
    Sergachev $4.8
    Fox $.9

Goalies
    Shesterkin $5.6
    Ullmark $5
    Hart $3.9
    Blackwood $2.8

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: C Makar and Q Hughes salary?

From Capfriendly:

How do Entry-Level Contracts Work?

Players younger than 25 years of age as of September 15 during the year of their first NHL contract must sign an entry-level contract which have set limitations - all entry-level contracts are two-way contracts and the maximum allowable salary for players drafted until 2022 is $925,000.

The length of the entry-level contract is also dependent on the player’s age: •18-21 years of age: 3 years
    •22-23 years of age: 2 years
    •24 years of age: 1 year

Entry-level contracts can still include signing and performance bonuses. Signing bonuses may not exceed 10 percent of the contract’s total compensation, and is paid to players annually. Performance bonuses for entry-level contracts, that are paid by the team and count against the salary cap cannot exceed a maximum of $2,850,000. Performance Bonuses are broken into 2 categories: Schedule A and Schedule B. Schedule A Bonuses may not exceed $212,500 per individual bonus, and $850,000 in total. There are two types of Schedule B Bonuses. League-wide award/trophy bonuses that are paid by the league and are not captured within the actual entry-level contract signed by the player, and player & club agreed upon bonuses, of which the maximum is $2million per season.

Their contract will all depend on the bonus level they are given. Who knows what that will be.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Wizard

Both are very likely to get very high bonuses. Something close to $3M range most likely.

Dobber Sports Icon

Let's look back to see what other players drafted in their position got to give you an idea:

Cale Makar 4th Overall

2018 - Brady Tkachuk - $3,425,000
    2016 - Jesse Puljujarvi - $3,425,000
    2015 - Mitch Marner - $1,775,000
    2014 - Sam Bennett - $3,225,000
    2013 - Seth Jones - $3,225,000
    2012 - Griffin Reinhart - $3,275,000

Quinn Hughes 7th Overall

2017 - Lias Andersson - $1,775,000
    2016 - Clayton Keller - $1,704,167*
    2015 - Ivan Provorov - $1,775,000
    2014 - Haydn Fleury - $1,775,000
    2013 - Darnell Nurse - $1,775,000
    2012 - Matt Dumba - $1,633,333*

Based on that information, you can predict that Makar will get an AAV of $3,425,000 and Hughes will get an AAV of $1,775,000 if they sign this spring/summer. If they don't sign this spring/summer, then their AAV will likely go up since they will be one year closer to becoming UFAs which means that they will probably get max level bonuses.

I am guesing they both sign this spring as soon as their college seasons are done.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    Let's look back to see what other players drafted in their position got to give you an idea:

Cale Makar 4th Overall

2018 - Brady Tkachuk - $3,425,000
    2016 - Jesse Puljujarvi - $3,425,000
    2015 - Mitch Marner - $1,775,000
    2014 - Sam Bennett - $3,225,000
    2013 - Seth Jones - $3,225,000
    2012 - Griffin Reinhart - $3,275,000

Quinn Hughes 7th Overall

2017 - Lias Andersson - $1,775,000
    2016 - Clayton Keller - $1,704,167*
    2015 - Ivan Provorov - $1,775,000
    2014 - Haydn Fleury - $1,775,000
    2013 - Darnell Nurse - $1,775,000
    2012 - Matt Dumba - $1,633,333*

Based on that information, you can predict that Makar will get an AAV of $3,425,000 and Hughes will get an AAV of $1,775,000 if they sign this spring/summer. If they don't sign this spring/summer, then their AAV will likely go up since they will be one year closer to becoming UFAs which means that they will probably get max level bonuses.

I am guesing they both sign this spring as soon as their college seasons are done.
    Excellent research, but I can't see Hughes getting only half of what Makar gets...or he should find a new agent for his contract after that.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Shift Disturber View Post
    Excellent research, but I can't see Hughes getting only half of what Makar gets...or he should find a new agent for his contract after that.
    I agree. Wont surprise me at all to see both get something close to the max ELC out of the gate.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Shift Disturber View Post
    There are 2 big differences between them. Makar was drafted 4th overall compared to Hughes at 7th. Makar is also only 2 years away from UFA while Hughes is 3. Those should mean that Makar gets a significantly bigger bonus structure.

With that said, the Canucks did give 5th overall pick Elias Petterssen the maximum bonus structure on his deal so that is possible as well.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Tolvanen got $3M+ and was 30th overall pick. The Canucks want to make sure Hughes turns pro after this season, they'll give him whatever he wants.

Dobber Sports Icon

Looks like I was a little bit high on my estimate of Hughes' AAV since Hughes signed with an AAV of $1,604,166...until you do the actual math and find out that Hughes Performance Bonuses for the 18/19 NHL season are pro-rated. If he signed the contract in the summer his AAV would have been $1,766,666.

Dobber Sports Icon

Not bad except I forgot to factor in that the bonus structure is affected by when the contract is signed. Because Makar signed during the playoffs, there are a bunch of bonuses that he could not achieve so his AAV becomes much lower.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Hughes: 19/20 & 20/21 seasons
    Cap hit - $916 666
    AAV - $1 604 166 (includes $850 000 potential bonuses)
    https://www.capfriendly.com/players/quintin-hughes

Makar: 19/20 & 20/21 seasons
    Cap hit - $880 833
    AAV - $2 854 166 (includes $2 500 000 potential bonuses)
    https://www.capfriendly.com/players/cale-makar
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Pro

Not bad except I forgot to factor in that the bonus structure is affected by when the contract is signed. Because Makar signed during the playoffs, there are a bunch of bonuses that he could not achieve so his AAV becomes much lower.
    You were pretty damn close though. I wonder why Hughes got so much less - draft position shouldn't matter here as they are clearly similar in their abilities and upside.

Dobber Sports Icon

Draft position is the only reason.

(Well that and Cale Makar is clearly the better player and the better prospect but that's a discussion for another thread!!!)