Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Here Smoke Their Own Meat?

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Re: Anyone Here Smoke Their Own Meat?

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Do you wrap the meat at all? I've seen a lot of "texas crutch" on youtube. Like get your meat to temp/160F for pork, then take it off, wrap it up in tinfoil/butcher paper, then go back on till it hits 200F.

I'm gonna try Pork butt, do it in a pan to capture the juices, then after the "Stall" period, through some tinfoil on the pan to steam it almost for an hr or so. Then take any fat off the juices, then use that as a sauce for the pulled pork when eating.
    yes, ive done that..its reeaaally juicy and qukite tasty
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Foerster, Michkov, Kakko, Toffoli
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Minyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR- Quinn(RW)
    Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Administrator

Do you wrap the meat at all? I've seen a lot of "texas crutch" on youtube. Like get your meat to temp/160F for pork, then take it off, wrap it up in tinfoil/butcher paper, then go back on till it hits 200F.
    I've never done this, mainly because we found a formula that works for us and stuck to it. Let us know how it goes!

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    I've never done this, mainly because we found a formula that works for us and stuck to it. Let us know how it goes!
    I'll def be taking pictures of this.

This may be a Sunday/Monday thing. I'm heading to the Arkells now on Saturday, and I dunno if I really wanna wake up at 2am to get this going. Maybe I do...
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Administrator

All cooking in the north will be done indoors. Snow has taken over all of our outdoor living space, in all three dimensions (mainly vertical).

No smoker anytime soon...

Dobber Sports Master

This definitely works and I highly recommend you do this if you are doing a pork butt. It really works on getting it tender.

I'm gonna try Pork butt, do it in a pan to capture the juices, then after the "Stall" period, through some tinfoil on the pan to steam it almost for an hr or so. Then take any fat off the juices, then use that as a sauce for the pulled pork when eating.
    The only time I did this the sauce was disgusting. Way, way too smoky. I threw it out after tasting it. I might have done it wrong tho. Didn't really have a recipe or method to follow. It was on a whim. Unlikely to try that again.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Anyone cook overnight? Briskets and Pork Butts seem to need 12hrs depending on the size so just seems like something you can do overnight, but you would need a large chip tray and water bowl I guess?
    Yes, I have a big green egg (love it)! Smoke only takes for about 4 hours (you can change that but not yet when you are beginning). I wrap butts after about 8 hours — it’s the best and easiest way to get to the internal 210 or so temp you want while still being low and slow.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by plug View Post
    Yes, I have a big green egg (love it)! Smoke only takes for about 4 hours (you can change that but not yet when you are beginning). I wrap butts after about 8 hours — it’s the best and easiest way to get to the internal 210 or so temp you want while still being low and slow.

But the best part about smoking — beer. Check out the beer lovers thread.

Dobber Sports Genius

I prefer to jerk my meat. #toomuch?

Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Call of Doughty View Post
    I prefer to jerk my meat. #toomuch?
    When you cook chicken do you choke it first?

Dobber Sports Master

I thought for sure I'd see stuntman in this thread somewhere

Dobber Sports Titan

So update on my weekend cooking.

-Friday, started to marinate a pork shoulder with a mustard as binder, kosher salt, pepper, chili powder and paprika rub. Saran wrapped it up and left it in the fridge

-Saturday morning. Woke up around 7, decided, might as well toss it on now. Threw it on the smoker with beer as the water bowl (fell asleep on Friday with a half can so I said eff it and used that, then had to open another half way through). I had it in a tin throw-away pan and left it on for like 6hrs, cause it was roughly around 1pm when I pulled it off to tent it. Periodically throughout the cook I was checking the water, chips, and basting the pork in a butter/rub mixture. When I pulled it off to tent it, I added more butter to the pan, then some garlic cloves crushed. Went on for another hr or so, pulled off and took it out of the pan and wrapped in tinfoil to rest. Tried a piece that just fell off and was in heaven. Shredded it and had it on a bun with coleslaw and a bit of BBQ sauce. Only complaint from me (no one else said it) was it was a bit too salty. Like, on the bun you couldn't taste the "too much salt" but on it's own I could.

- Saturday while I was cooking the pork, I prepped some wings. Italian salad dressing, and the same rub as the pork into a ziplock with wings.

-Sunday, around 1pm I started cooking the wings. 3:30pm-ish they were done. They were reeeallllly good. But 2.5hrs of cooking? Prolly stick to the BBQ. I didn't use any water as I figured I didn't need any. But with the weather, for some reason the smoker wouldn't get higher than 200F, so I added in some water around 2pm to see if it would kick up the temp, and it did a bit. Ate them for dinner.

-Monday, Leftover wings. I took the left overs and let them get to room temp, coated them in a egg bath, then flour, fried them in about 2" of oil on a skillet. Yo, this was amazing. Smoked, fried wings. This made the 2.5hrs on Sunday worth it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dobber Sports Icon

atta kid...nice work.
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Foerster, Michkov, Kakko, Toffoli
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Minyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR- Quinn(RW)
    Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Dobber Sports Titan

I smoked some candied nuts the other day to snack. REALLY GOOD!

Walnuts and Pecans soaked in maple syrup, then cinnamon and brown sugar on them. Smoke it for like an hr. So good. Need A LOT of smoke though, as nuts don't really soak in smoke.

Still Solid snack.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Smoking is amazing. I hate to eat ribs any other way now. I own a Weber Smokey Mountain myself, my dad owns a Kamodo (Big Green Egg knockoff), both charcoal smokers. The Kamodo is fantastic, does a way better job in less time than my Smokey Mountain, but it's more than double the price, so you get what you pay for.

This is the site I refer to for any of my smoking needs. It has most everything you'd want to know, and the guy doesn't swear by one method over the other. Each seems to have their place, and he'll tell you what the best is, but at the same time, the benefit in taste is minimal compared to the extra work. His recipes are also fantastic, hasn't steered me wrong yet. He goes over the theory too. There's a lot of material here so be ready to spend a number of hours flipping through it, or take your time over multiple visits.

https://amazingribs.com/

An electronic meat thermometer is a must for me. I have a wireless one that has amazing range so I can leave it out in the backyard and monitor the temperature while watching the game, yet am still able to claim I've been cooking all day! I use this Maverick. It's not the cheapest, but it's really solid. Have not regretted purchasing it 5 ish years ago.

https://www.amazon.ca/Maverick-Black...73775512&psc=1

In my opinion, Pork is the easiest thing to start smoking. It's very hard to screw up pork. Even if you do it wrong, it usually still tastes great.
    - Ribs are my go to, nice and easy, usually done in 3-5 hours depending on the cut. I'll usually smoke them, wrap in tinfoil and a towel (possibly in a cooler) for 30 min to 1 hour and then add some sauce and finish them up on the BBQ. Saucing is entirely up to preference.
    - Pork Shoulders for pulled pork I start overnight, easiest way to make sure you get through the stall. I've started at 5 am and have had to call it early as I haven't been able to get through the stall and we need to eat. Again, still tastes great, just not pulled. I don't find the crutch is necessary here, but it's preference really.
    - With leftovers I have frozen them, made pulled pork nachos, pulled pork burritos and even fry it up in the morning and lob onto a bun with an over easy egg or two and some BBQ sauce, just amazing

Chicken/Turkey
    - wings work great, but by the looks of it, you have that under control
    - Whole chickens I'll usually spatchcock and have found that works best
    - I've done a number of thanksgiving turkeys on the smoker that have worked out amazing. Amazingly quick 4-6 hours (or more depending on the size) and does not come out dry. Using the drippings for gravy as well is a favourite.

Beef (Brisket)
    - I wouldn't smoke a steak, way too dry, not worth wasting the cut of meat
    - A brisket however! They're amazing, but I would wait until you have some more experience as if you dry it out too much it's tough to eat. I crutch a brisket every time to maintain the moisture
    - leftover brisket burrito is one of my favourite meals to make

Other
    - Jalapeno poppers is a go to for us. Cut them in half, make a filling with cream cheese, sour cream, chedder, onion, garlic, whatever you want really. Smoke for 30 min to an hour, just awesome.
    - Bacon wrapped scallops. They don't require much time but are really good.
    - Macaroni and Cheese, just make sure you use a pot you don't care much about (I got in trouble for that one)
    - Sausages, they end up dry but very tasty as an appetizer with some mustard dips

Anyhow, that's just a quick overview of what I've done. I'm not even getting into the cocktails I mix for my smoking endeavors! It's an incredibly fun hobby, so enjoy!

Dobber Sports Titan

Thanks for all the info guys! Getting to that time of the year where I can start smoking more consistently!

Anyone try a Montreal Smoked Meat? I think I'm gonna try a small-ish one next weekend. I got some curing salt off a buddy, so maybe this weekend I'll start the cure.

It's been cold and busy for me to get out and try some stuff, but I will be going out there soon. Can't wait for the good weather.