Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is FLA and CBJ working towards a blockbuster?

Administrator

Default Re: Is FLA and CBJ working towards a blockbuster?

Quote Originally Posted by dejeanneret View Post
    Agree they may want to keep possibilities open through July 1 (especially Panarin, given his statements on the matter to date). But Florida may actually check a lot of the boxes.

You have to figure that neither would be willing to sign for a discount. But FLA has plenty of cap space (even more if Hubs is dealt), and may be more willing to offer favorable term if they're really intent on trying to make this happen before July 1 to drown out potential competition.

FLA needs to improve their goaltending. At least in a vacuum, Bob would appear to be a nice step up and would still be the clear cut starter.

Speculation has Panarin preferring to join either an organization offering either a big market or warm-weather by the beach. Of the potential suitors that come immediately to mind fitting either description that could likely swing that kind of contract (Rangers, Kings, Ducks, Panthers), the Panthers may be the most attractive in terms of being furthest along in their development. As mentioned, they also offer best tax situation.

I'm sure there's more to the decision making process from the players' perspective. But as a starting point, it is interesting that FLA would appear to check several of the boxes right off the hop.
    Also some red flags in Florida. They've had a lack of stability at GM over the years and they randomly fired a good coach who eventually helped Vegas get to the final in their first year. They also have the underachiever tag. To summarize: they're not very good as a hockey organization.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

The Great One

I've speculated for a while that Bobrovsky would end up signing in Florida as a UFA, but there have been rumors very recently that a trade before this year's deadline makes sense because then Florida can sign Bob to an 8-year deal instead of the maximum 7. Same goes for Panarin, who just fired his agent and hired the same agent as Bobrovsky. Add to this that Panarin has said he wants to play in a warm-weather city and Huberdeau's name being raised in the rumor mill, and I will personally be very shocked if this deal doesn't happen.

I see this:

Bobrovsky and Panarin to Florida (shortly after signing 8-year deals each), Reimer is bought-out and Luongo either retires or goes on LTIR.

Huberdeau, Brassard, picks and prospects going to Columbus
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Master

can florida afford to piss away an asset like huberdeau just to get a leg up on the competition in july ?

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    I've speculated for a while that Bobrovsky would end up signing in Florida as a UFA, but there have been rumors very recently that a trade before this year's deadline makes sense because then Florida can sign Bob to an 8-year deal instead of the maximum 7. Same goes for Panarin, who just fired his agent and hired the same agent as Bobrovsky. Add to this that Panarin has said he wants to play in a warm-weather city and Huberdeau's name being raised in the rumor mill, and I will personally be very shocked if this deal doesn't happen.

I see this:

Bobrovsky and Panarin to Florida (shortly after signing 8-year deals each), Reimer is bought-out and Luongo either retires or goes on LTIR.

Huberdeau, Brassard, picks and prospects going to Columbus
    I can see something like this, but I see no reason Reimer would get bought out, I think he's part of the deal going back to Columbus if they acquire Bobrovsky. His contract isn't onerous, and it runs long enough to be exposed in the expansion draft, I think.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    I can see something like this, but I see no reason Reimer would get bought out, I think he's part of the deal going back to Columbus if they acquire Bobrovsky. His contract isn't onerous, and it runs long enough to be exposed in the expansion draft, I think.
    The other "rumour" out there is that CBJ is looking at Quick to replace Bobrovsky should he get dealt but again, lots of rumors flying and lots of moving pieces.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Administrator

We need to separate rumor from speculation. Are the Kings and Blue Jackets actually talking according to a reputable source? (also applies to the CBJ/FLA situation)

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    We need to separate rumor from speculation. Are the Kings and Blue Jackets actually talking according to a reputable source? (also applies to the CBJ/FLA situation)
    Rumors/speculation, isn't that what this whole section of the forum is designed for??

Anyway,

https://unionandblue.com/2019/02/07/...ly-make-sense/

Call it what you want, but it's out there, reliable or not. I like Friedman.

Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman provided further notes on this in his latest "31 Thoughts" column (see below for his note on Columbus/Quick).

"If the Florida Panthers can somehow pull off a trade with Columbus for goalie Sergei Bobrovsky, don’t be surprised to see the Blue Jackets announce a deal for Quick soon thereafter", said Hoven. "From what we understand, preliminary discussions have taken place and the interest is there."

If the Blue Jackets do deal Bobrovsky (and remember, the goalie has control of the situation), do not be surprised if they take a run at Jonathan Quick. –Friedman

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Rumors/speculation, isn't that what this whole section of the forum is designed for??
    Never said it can't be posted. It's still useful to know which is which. I agree with Friedman. I wouldn't be surprised if a team is interested in acquiring a goalie after dealing a goalie.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Replacing Huberdeau with Panarin is fine in the long-term but Panarin will get about twice as much on his AAV, so that's definitely something to consider as well. Giving Panarin 8 years is a bit risky but not a deal-breaker.

Giving Bob 8 years would be a deal-breaker for me. I'd give him 4 years at the most. Even that's very, very risky. He's likely past his prime already and expecting him to return to his Vezina winning form is a lot to ask.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Panarin's camp have clearly stated that he wants to become a UFA on July 1st and test the market.. The Panthers are going to be disappointed if they trade for him and he becomes a UFA anyway!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Titan

Panarin likely won't move until Duchene/Stone have been moved.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Panarin likely won't move until Duchene/Stone have been moved.
    I'm pretty sure Stone is getting re-signed by Ottawa shortly.

Duchene will be dealt, I'm sure.

Regardless, I think you are correct in that Panarin likely won't be dealt until some other forwards move. If I'm Columbus, I want an awful lot to deal away Panarin, and teams won't be willing to pay as much if they think they can land another forward for less (even if that forward isn't the same caliber player).
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Jedi

I thought Panarin's camp has only clearly stated he does not wish to negotiate a contract until the season is over.
    From what I've seen over the season, it's more of a blanket rule he has vs. anything against Columbus.

If that actually is the case, why would Fla acquire a player they could not negotiate a contract with ahead of time?
    Only way I see a deal going down is if an extension one one or both is written and accepted ahead of time.

Imagine a non-playoff team, making a huge move for 2 UFA's just to watch them walk 15-20 games later?
    BARF.
    There will be extensions or no deal.
    Or a GM getting fired immediately
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    I thought Panarin's camp has only clearly stated he does not wish to negotiate a contract until the season is over.
    From what I've seen over the season, it's more of a blanket rule he has vs. anything against Columbus.

If that actually is the case, why would Fla acquire a player they could not negotiate a contract with ahead of time?
    Only way I see a deal going down is if an extension one one or both is written and accepted ahead of time.

Imagine a non-playoff team, making a huge move for 2 UFA's just to watch them walk 15-20 games later?
    BARF.
    There will be extensions or no deal.
    Or a GM getting fired immediately

One has to assume SOMEONE is going to take a gamble on him without negotiating a new contract. Whether it's Florida or not, someone is going to gamble on him for a playoff run.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    One has to assume SOMEONE is going to take a gamble on him without negotiating a new contract. Whether it's Florida or not, someone is going to gamble on him for a playoff run.
    Oh I agree, someone most likely will gamble on him for a playoff run... it just won't/can't be Florida.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4