Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is FLA and CBJ working towards a blockbuster?

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Is FLA and CBJ working towards a blockbuster?

Rumors have been out there for a bit now that Florida is looking at both Panarin and Bobrovsky. With Huberdeau hitting TSN's trade board today, one has to wonder if Huberdeau to CBJ in some sort of deal is being worked on for the two pending FAs.

Two weeks to the trade deadline. Let the rumors fly!!
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: Is FLA and CBJ working towards a blockbuster?

Why would Florida trade a signed (pretty good contract too) Huberdeau for two UFAs? There's got to be something else involved. I don't see Panarin and Bob fetching much, given their UFA status. Unless it's the very rare sign and trade deal.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Administrator

Florida's young core has not delivered, hence young signed players being on the trade block.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Superstar

Fla needs to guarantee they could sign these guys or they might as well wait for F/A. No use wasting assets.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
    Why would Florida trade a signed (pretty good contract too) Huberdeau for two UFAs? There's got to be something else involved. I don't see Panarin and Bob fetching much, given their UFA status. Unless it's the very rare sign and trade deal.
    I don't know, I am just trying to connect some dots in my head. It seems awful weird that Huberdeau is showing up on anyones trade radar but there he is. I realize that doesn't mean much sometimes, but usually where's there's smoke.....

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I don't know, I am just trying to connect some dots in my head. It seems awful weird that Huberdeau is showing up on anyones trade radar but there he is. I realize that doesn't mean much sometimes, but usually where's there's smoke.....
    It doesn't make sense for Florida to trade Huberdeau. Nearly PPG player, great contract. what is there not to like? Yeah, they are not in the playoffs right now but it's not like it's his fault. And definitely they would not trade him for 2 pending UFAs. If they are trying to trade him, I'd imagine it would be for someone under a good contract and of similar talent or maybe fill a need, like on defense?

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
    It doesn't make sense for Florida to trade Huberdeau. Nearly PPG player, great contract. what is there not to like? Yeah, they are not in the playoffs right now but it's not like it's his fault. And definitely they would not trade him for 2 pending UFAs. If they are trying to trade him, I'd imagine it would be for someone under a good contract and of similar talent or maybe fill a need, like on defense?
    I guess time will tell.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I guess time will tell.
    Oh yeah, GMs do crazy things when under pressure.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Part of me thinks this is just the media adding fuel to the fire, but the other part of me thinks it makes sense, got to give to get.

Assuming that Columbus knows both Bob and Bread are walking and that Florida knows or really thinks they can hold on to one or both of them, i doubt CLB get a better offer than, just guessing here, Huberdeau, Reimer, a pick? for Panarain and Bobrovksy.

I can see it happening.
    Evansville Icemen District-5 Ducks
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    G A PT SOG STA STG TRUC FOW
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP HIT BLK FOW
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Dobber Sports Veteran

I too can see it happening. But I also agree that FLA being confident that they can re-sign Panarin and Bob is paramount to such a deal happening. For that reason, the reports/speculation I read yesterday (perhaps on TSN, can't remember) is that Huberdeau is the enticement for CBJ to allow FLA to begin negotiating with Bob and Panarin ... who, as we all know, now have the same agent.

Speculation at this point for sure. But not really under the radar speculation. As I recall, that's the reason the talking heads at TSN gave for adding Huberdeau to the trade board.
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar//Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson(IR)/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand/Drouin
    D: Dobson/Trouba(IR)/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Martinez/Edvinsson/York/Gudas(IR)/Tanev
    G: Saros/Demko(IR)/Askarov/DeSmith

Administrator

From Florida's perspective it makes sense because they've been underachieving and need some change. They have a lot of good parts but the sum of all of them doesn't produce a good team.

But it doesn't make sense at all for Panarin and Bobrovsky. Why commit to Florida now when so many other doors will be open for them in the coming months?

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    From Florida's perspective it makes sense because they've been underachieving and need some change. They have a lot of good parts but the sum of all of them doesn't produce a good team.

But it doesn't make sense at all for Panarin and Bobrovsky. Why commit to Florida now when so many other doors will be open for them in the coming months?
    Florida income taxes

Assuming one of there main drivers of going to UFA is to get paid, that would be a pretty nice incentive.
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by evans334 View Post
    Florida income taxes

Assuming one of there main drivers of going to UFA is to get paid, that would be a pretty nice incentive.
    Of course the income tax matters, and will still be in play in July. So why close other doors now?

Dobber Sports Veteran

Of course the income tax matters, and will still be in play in July. So why close other doors now?
    I obviously can't answer that because i'm not them, but we're playing the speculation game.

If we are assuming that Florida ca re-re-sign them / Columbus knows they can't and that the most important thing to Bob and Bread is term and money, Florida makes sense as an option.
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Dobber Sports Veteran

Agree they may want to keep possibilities open through July 1 (especially Panarin, given his statements on the matter to date). But Florida may actually check a lot of the boxes.

You have to figure that neither would be willing to sign for a discount. But FLA has plenty of cap space (even more if Hubs is dealt), and may be more willing to offer favorable term if they're really intent on trying to make this happen before July 1 to drown out potential competition.

FLA needs to improve their goaltending. At least in a vacuum, Bob would appear to be a nice step up and would still be the clear cut starter.

Speculation has Panarin preferring to join either an organization offering either a big market or warm-weather by the beach. Of the potential suitors that come immediately to mind fitting either description that could likely swing that kind of contract (Rangers, Kings, Ducks, Panthers), the Panthers may be the most attractive in terms of being furthest along in their development. As mentioned, they also offer best tax situation.

I'm sure there's more to the decision making process from the players' perspective. But as a starting point, it is interesting that FLA would appear to check several of the boxes right off the hop.
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar//Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson(IR)/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand/Drouin
    D: Dobson/Trouba(IR)/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Martinez/Edvinsson/York/Gudas(IR)/Tanev
    G: Saros/Demko(IR)/Askarov/DeSmith