Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Matthews Signed

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: Matthews Signed

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    well, the population thinks in 5years Matthews is bolting, he might, but he might not - not if he wants to win Cups anyway. Cuz he won't in Arizona.

But as far as being a win-win. AM gets paid now. 2nd highest paid player in the NHL.
    He also becomes a UFA at 26 and gets the opportunity for a full 8 year max value deal.
    It's a win for Tor - because they save $2m per season over the next 5,
    which they will desperately need for Marner & soon to be Rielly (who's going to get paid)
    Sure, saving $2M for 5 years is a win for the Leafs. Let's just ignore he's either going to bolt or get something ridiculous on his next deal. Matthews got exactly what he wanted. The Leafs were willing to live with it. That's not a win-win, it's a win for one side and the other side being able to live with the results. I don't understand why it would need to be turned into anything else.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Dubas caved and lost to Nylander so he had to cave and lost to Matthews.

But FWIW, yes Matthews at $14 for 8 years and trading Nylander would have been better than this contract.
    Nope.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    Interesting that someone would think it's actually better for the team to have Matthews for only 5 years instead of 8...

Well, it's better for the Coyotes obviously. They get him sooner. But for the Leafs? 8 years would have been so much better but it would have been much more expensive as well. $14M? Somewhere around there I'd guess.
    Heh heh, I was waiting for this comment and you did not disappoint!

I almost added, "Patiently awaiting JPs Matthews to Arizona in 6 years comment...", but thought I'd wait it out and let you have your fun .

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Kofax View Post
    Heh heh, I was waiting for this comment and you did not disappoint!

I almost added, "Patiently awaiting JPs Matthews to Arizona in 6 years comment...", but thought I'd wait it out and let you have your fun .
    I hope you realize it's just a joke people keep making to tease Leafs fans. I doubt anyone actually thinks he's going to Arizona. But it's a fun thing to mention as frequently as possible because Leafs fans are always so damn serious about their team.

Dobber Sports Superstar

I hope you realize it's just a joke people keep making to tease Leafs fans. I doubt anyone actually thinks he's going to Arizona. But it's a fun thing to mention as frequently as possible because Leafs fans are always so damn serious about their team.
    I couldn't tell if it was a joke from you or not, as I've just noticed you bring it up the most. Thought that was funny. Realistically, none of us know what he's thinking or where he wants to play (well, now we know he wants to be in Toronto for 5 years). It happens with all sorts of players all the time. It does end up being around Toronto more often then not primarily due to the increased media coverage and then all the other fan bases pin it on Leaf Fans because it's in the media so much. Similar to Montreal and French Canadian players. Anyhow, good times.

Administrator

These threads don't turn into shitshows without the contributions of gullible Leaf fans taking the bait every single time

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Jedi

Sure, saving $2M for 5 years is a win for the Leafs. Let's just ignore he's either going to bolt or get something ridiculous on his next deal. Matthews got exactly what he wanted. The Leafs were willing to live with it. That's not a win-win, it's a win for one side and the other side being able to live with the results. I don't understand why it would need to be turned into anything else.
    yes, because having money left over to make other roster moves can't be considered an immediate win for the Leafs as well.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

From the outside looking in, yes, Leafs fans are sensitive. And obnoxiously homer-ish, not that there's anything wrong with that. Again, have all the fun you want, I'm merely commenting my opinion. Not every thing is derogatory in nature, or meant for only you. That said, I can't believe only locked down 1 UFA yr!
    30 team league, DYNASTY
    Hartford Whalers

GO CANES

Dobber Sports Master

on hockey central one of the guests stated that marners camp offered to make a deal at 9m per x 8 over the summer and leafs balked .

Dobber Sports Newbie

Was expecting that of an 6 year contract for that amount of AAV, but Matthews agent knew that Dubas couldn't afford another Nylander type contract holdout. The only problem i see for Toronto is Marner is going to be 10.5-11m minimum for 5/6 years and about 12-12.5m for 8 years, as he can state he averages around Matthews, while playing first two years with lesser players about same pts/g this year, plus less missed matches via injuries than Matthews.
    See that of Toronto main cup window being the next 3 years after this season, due to Kapanen will ask for 3.25-3.5 million for bridge contract based on Teravainen got 2.86m two years ago for low 40 pts season.
    Going to lose Gardiner as he wants $6m+, then Muzzin going to want near around the same after next season, but with less term as he have 4 seasons of 40 pts but the real problem be after 2022 season, when Reilly and Kadri contracts run out, Kadri will want good 2C money, as that really what type of C he is, plus it be his final long contract, while if Reilly carries on like this year, it be Doughty salary, if salary increases like it has in past 5 years.
    31 team H2H Dynasty League E
    G/A/SOG/PIM/PlusMinus/Hits&Fights/W/GA/SV/SHO
    play 3C/3RW/3LW/6D/G
    C: Pettersson, Gaudette, Koivula, Beagle
    RW: W Nylander, Kunin, Sprong, Fischer, Bennett
    LW: Forsberg, Kaprizov, Kahun, R Johnson
    D: Trouba, McAvoy, Edmundson, Greene, Bowey, Stecher, Kukan
    G: Markstrom, Melnichuk, Kivlenieks, Nalimov, DeSmith
    P: Poehling, Lapierre, Boldy, Firstov, Kaut, Colangelo, Peeke, Krys, Martin, Viro, Lindbom, Ustimenko, Jones, Alnefelt

Dobber Sports Titan

Players who are UFAs when Matthews is:
    Anze Kopitar
    Steven Stamkos
    Blake Wheeler
    Jakub Voracek
    William Nylander
    Connor Hellebuyck
    Mark Scheifele
    Tom Wilson
    Elias Lindholm
    Tyler Johnson
    Brady Skjei
    Bryan Little
    Teuvo Teravainen
    Martin Jones
    Jake Guentzel

Players who are UFAs a year before when Matthews is:
    Patrick Kane
    Jonathan Toews
    Ryan O’Reilly
    JvR
    Vladimir Tarasenko
    Max Pacioretty
    David Pastrnak
    Sean Monahan
    Keith Yandle
    Nathan MacKinnon
    Dylan Larkin
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll