Thread: Advice on who to cut??

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Advice on who to cut??

For team #1 in sig:

Made some moves and with the latest trade to acquire Keller, Tolvanen and Samsonov, my season is officially over as I'm looking to the future. If the season ended today, I'd be the 4th pick in our draft. Usually our draft is 2-3 rounds, who should I cut to make room? I did try to research some reach picks and picked up some skaters, but if they probably won't be making it through camp next season, then I would drop them (except for the rookie goalies, which I may risk holding onto a little longer and see if they live up to their "potential").

Probably going to have to get another D-man. I'm guessing I could cut Mrazek. Perhaps Rust, but looks like he's getting 2nd line action. I'm itching to cut Wennberg with CBJ being a mess - maybe they'll offload his contract and he can bounce back. Veleno was a random pick up for me, but if he's drawing comparisons to Larkin, I can live with that. I'm looking at some other guys that I can pick up - Alexeyev and Dellandrea, who both seem to be having solid years (just not sure if I'm jumping the gun by diving deep right now).

Any suggestions?

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Advice on who to cut??

I think you may not want to dive too deep if you'll be cutting productive NHL players for them. And Veleno was just drafted in round 1, and I wouldn't cut anyone drafted in round 1 during their draft year, barring something extraordinary, likely criminal or injury related with your roster situation.

I'd probably hang on to Mrazek until the offseason, and see if he picks up his play enough to stay in the NHL. He really went off the rails once Detroit kept trying to put Howard in there over him.
    Rust is a guy who I think is slightly overvalued due to being a Penguin, but he seems reasonably solid as a depth piece on a team. He hits some
    I'd think you could deal Wennberg for something.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: Advice on who to cut??

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    I think you may not want to dive too deep if you'll be cutting productive NHL players for them. And Veleno was just drafted in round 1, and I wouldn't cut anyone drafted in round 1 during their draft year, barring something extraordinary, likely criminal or injury related with your roster situation.

I'd probably hang on to Mrazek until the offseason, and see if he picks up his play enough to stay in the NHL. He really went off the rails once Detroit kept trying to put Howard in there over him.
    Rust is a guy who I think is slightly overvalued due to being a Penguin, but he seems reasonably solid as a depth piece on a team. He hits some
    I'd think you could deal Wennberg for something.
    Thanks for advice. Good to know about Mrazek - he's had some solid play so I suppose I could hold out to see how things go during the offseason. If I can pick up someone solid in our draft then I'll drop Rust. He was sitting on waivers for awhile and then I picked him up, so doubt he's a hot commodity in our league. haha.