Thread: Thatcher Demko short term and long term production

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Thatcher Demko short term and long term production

I'm in a keep 10 H2H league (12 GMs) and picked up Thatcher Demko since I think the world of him long term and missed out on Carter Hart a few months ago. I was just wondering what your opinions were regarding Demko to end the year and if/when he will become the starter and how good he can be.

Thanks!
    12-team Yahoo H2H Keeper League (10 keepers)
    Cats: G, A, P, +/-, PPP, SOG, HITS, SHOTS BLOCKED, W, GAA, Saves, Save%

Original draft was 2015
    Year #1 = Tanked hard (finished last)
    Year #2 = Playoff League Champion
    Year #3 = Lost in Playoffs but traded Murray for 2nd best odds at #1. (Will draft Dahlin).

10 Keepers
    Keepers: C.McDavid (C), J.Eichel (C), A.Matthews (C), P.Laine (LW-RW), J.Gaudreau (LW), N.Ehlers (LW-RW), C.Keller (LW), T.Rask (G), A.Vasilevskiy (G) + ??? (Keeper #10)
    Potential Keepers : J.Saros, T.Demko, M.Sergachev, M.Duchene, J.Puljujarvi.
    Other Players: Not worth mentioning...

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: Thatcher Demko short term and long term production

I also think highly of him for the future, and picked him up myself a little while back. But much more of a future hold, I think. He'll get some starts between now and year-end, but I think it's quite clearly Markstrom's crease for the rest of this season (annoyingly enough for me, Markstrom being my Demko of about 7 years ago when coming up with the Panthers who I finally had to bail on), and probably the vast majority of next season too.
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar/Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand
    D: Dobson/Trouba/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Edvinsson/York
    G: Saros/Demko/Askarov

Dobber Sports Expert

Couldn't agree more with Homeboy. I've picked up Demko as well, but luckily have Markstrom and Lehner to ride until the end of this season. As a long time Canuck fan and ticket holder, I finally get the sense that this team is going to be really good again, sooner rather than later. In Keeper leagues, I'm putting my eggs in the Demko basket. Short term though, it's Marky's gig unless he gets hurt or really falters (maybe if the Canucks slip right out of the playoff race too).
    12 -Team Yahoo, Points Pool, Keeper (Since 1995): G(1), A(1), PPG(1), SHG(1) GWG(1), W(2), SHO(3). Protect 13 each season.

C (4): Hayes, Bonino, White, Bozak
    LW (4): Aho, Huberdeau, K Connor, Gourde
    RW (4): Perry, Boeser, Tuch, Zucker
    F (1):Labanc
    D (4): Barrie, Theodore, Faulk, Shattenkirk
    G (1): Lehner

Bench: (C) Kerfoot, (RW) Silfverberg, (LW) Bertuzzi (D) Q Hughes, R Murray, D'Angelo (G) Demko, Markstrom,

Dobber Sports Jedi

This season, Demko's value is extremely limited to non-existent as long as Vancouver believes they're in a playoff race. They have very few b2b's - which means they're going to ride Markstrom and HARD. If they fall out before the deadline & sell a piece or two for futures - then you'll see more of a 50-50 net down the stretch to get a better look at Demko.

Next year, don't be surprised to see a Griess/Lehner or Elliott/Allen style platoon, where it's a 55-45 share, with whoever's hotter getting 2-3 in a row. Also won't shock me to see Demko have the full starting job by Christmas 2019.

The more time Demko serves as the back up this Feb. the better, it provides more uninterrupted work with Ian Clark (G-coach) to work on a couple issues with his style & flaws.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Stud

Demko has stud potential, no doubt, however in a 12 team keep 10 I think you're really reaching by making him your 10th keeper. As others have mentioned, you're unlikely to get much out of him until 2020 at the earliest.

You know your league better than I do but could you not keep Duchene and then just re-draft Demko next season in a early-mid round?
    16 GM Dynasty
    H2H Points
    Weekly Matchups w/ Starts: 12F/6D/2G
    G(3), A(2), +/-(0.1), Hit(0.1), SOG(0.1), BS(0.1), PPP(1), SHP(1)
    W(4), L(-2), SO(4), Sv(0.2), GA(-1)

F: A. Svechnikov, R. Thomas, N. Suzuki, Pastrnak, Boldy, J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Frost, Tolvanen, Drouin, Heinen, Gallagher, N. Ritchie, Wood, Poehling, Podkolzin

D: Makar, Fox, Dobson, Byram, Dahlin, Ferraro, Michael Stone

G Sorokin, Hart, Georgiev, DeSmith

Farm: Firkus, Kayumov, Heimosalmi, Brennan, Werner, Kvaca, Parik