Thread: Saros - Jones trade

Dobber Sports Master

Default Saros - Jones trade

Team and league in sig. It's to help me make a push, currently in 3rd out of 10 teams, with a sizeable gap, but perhaps not insurmountable. Pts only. Goals and assists 1 each. Wins 2. SO 3. Important thing in this league: it is a closed format, so no waiver wire. Full keeper but option to drop up to 4 at year end. I will drop 2, likely.

It feels like I am giving up on Saros early, but Jones has a monster extension and the Sharks should be decent for a long time. What's killing me is the starts. Hutton is splitting. Saros is splitting at best. Talbot is... well... Talbot.

Problem for me is I am a huge Saros fan and Nashville is a great setup for the future. SJS is not nearly as set up and I think Jones is nowhere near the talent Saros is... but Saros is smaller and is still a good 2-3 years away from the majority of starts on his team. Jones is the guy in SJS. Contract says so. He's also better than Dell. Jones' production over the last calendar year is worrisome.

What say you Dobberites? Little help?
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Saros - Jones trade

I think that's a worthwhile deal. Rather the bird in hand and all that.
    Not really researched, but it seems to me that Saros hs struggled a little when given stretches of multiple starts. There will be growing pains when (if) he is given the net.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    I think that's a worthwhile deal. Rather the bird in hand and all that.
    Not really researched, but it seems to me that Saros hs struggled a little when given stretches of multiple starts. There will be growing pains when (if) he is given the net.
    It's what I was thinking. If Jones didn't have the extension he does, there's no way I would do the deal, but with that contract, he will get the starts. Even if it's less than the workload Price or Gibson get, it won't be the workload Saros gets..
    Blades of Steel

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Pro

I like this trade for you, especially if you're competing. Jones is undervalued. He may not be an elite talent but like you said, he's entrenched as the #1 on a strong team and that equals fantasy points. I think it's much better to evaluate goalies based on numbers and not based on names.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

In a league that only counts W and SHO, this is Jones by a landslide.

Dobber Sports Sage

With wins and shut outs as the only goalie cats, Jones is a top end option while saros just isn't. I don't think you're giving up on him, he just isn't going to help you the way Jones will for the next 3 seasons (at least). Both on good teams but saros is a 1a/b at best for the next several years.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Administrator

What other paths might you have to a starting goaltender? I like Jones to improve over the second half and he's already contributing well in your scoring system.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Master

Thank guys. Other path is a trade for Bobrovski which is likely to cost me more. By how much is hard to tell, but certainly possible.. The Bob owner wants Hutton instead of Saros (which would float my boat to be honest) but the Bob contract situation scares me; I don't need a goalie without a contract, especially a Russian one.. The KHL may be a slight risk but it's still a risk with him IMO.

It's looking to cost around the same for both:

Saros and a couple of picks (likely to net players in the top 4-8 NHL draft picks next year.. or a dropped, inconsistent player like Josh Bailey or Mika Zibanejad) or Hutton and the same picks for Bob, though I get the feeling the owner wants more, in the shape of a roster forward that I'm not willing to trade.

The Saros cost seems right based on his situation for the next 2-3 years. After that, if Saros is the Nashville starter IMO this is a clear loss, but based on my team in sig, the window is now (Crosby, Wheeler, Backstrom all north of 30).
    Blades of Steel

Saros, Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Sage

With your settings I prefer Jones to bobrovsky. My league in sig is similar in that we only get points for wins and shutouts and Jones is ranked 3rd behind only Fleury and Price (behind by one point). Jones is second in wins. I'll take his contract certainty over Bob's anyday right now, especially if it costs you less.

Really it's all about the wins. You can't predict shut outs and they are arguably quite lucky (alot has to go right for a goalie not to get scored on in 60 minutes). Jones is going to get wins in a weak Pacific division on a good team (that I think is still somehow underrated).
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Master

MZac, that is some sound advice. I think you have it right, the way you put that. Let's see what happens. Thanks everyone.
    Blades of Steel

Saros, Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Saros will be the starter next season. Rinnie is going to be in his last year and will slowly be phased out. Wheres the 2-3 years coming from? Rinnie will likely struggle in the playoffs again and be on a much shorter lease opening the door for Saros even this season.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by ds760 View Post
    Saros will be the starter next season. Rinnie is going to be in his last year and will slowly be phased out. Wheres the 2-3 years coming from? Rinnie will likely struggle in the playoffs again and be on a much shorter lease opening the door for Saros even this season.
    Well, Saros has a 3 yr contract at 1.5 per. Rinne has a 2 year extension and more than double that figure. At best it seems like splitting time.. I doubt a 4.5 M former vezina winner rides the pine to the tune of a 20-80 split. Rinne is struggling for sure, but so has Saros. I don’t think it’s the kid’s team just yet.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Your right on a few points but Rinnie is in his last year they are not going to extend again at his age and performance. Saros has started the majority of recent games. At some point there will be a transition next year and rinnie retires at the end of next season. I guess it depends on your time frame in the end but Saros is the starter in waiting and his time could easily end up being this playoffs.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by ds760 View Post
    Your right on a few points but Rinnie is in his last year they are not going to extend again at his age and performance. Saros has started the majority of recent games. At some point there will be a transition next year and rinnie retires at the end of next season. I guess it depends on your time frame in the end but Saros is the starter in waiting and his time could easily end up being this playoffs.
    Rinne already has a $5 M AAV extension set to kick in this summer taking him until the summer of 2021.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)