Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Home Brewers rejoice!

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Home Brewers rejoice!

I am curious who on these forums is into brewing their own beer?

I think we need a thread on here to share tips, secrets and even recipes to improve our own brewing experiences.

Me and my buddy are just starting to get into it to a bit of a larger scale and I'd like to see if anyone else enjoys brewing.

Step up and raise a glass of home brew with me!
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: Home Brewers rejoice!

I gave up homebrew about 2 years ago but I still have a huge amount of knowledge that I'd be happy to share so I can live vicariously through you guys. I had a 60L setup with an embarrassing amount of process control.

Dobber Sports Titan

I was given one of those kits that make 1gallon for christmas...It's about 3 weeks away from being complete.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Deity

Nice. Me and my mate have been using a Turkey fryer that uses propane to boil up 5 gallon batches. We then break them down into 1G batches and try different flavors to see what one we like.

The last batch we did a few weeks ago was a golden ale. We broke them down into adding 1) coffee beans 2) cold brewed coffee (obviously we are going for a coffee flavored beer) 3) David's Honey Tea 4) the golden ale by itself. The coffee beans one was a bit stronger than the cold brewed coffee but both tasted really good, if you like coffee. The Honey Tea one was just too sweet for me.

If you want to see a bit more of what we've done, or plan on doing in the future, follow us on instagram @deckheadbrewing

As I say, we are just getting going but plan on getting bigger as we go.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Nice. Me and my mate have been using a Turkey fryer that uses propane to boil up 5 gallon batches. We then break them down into 1G batches and try different flavors to see what one we like.

The last batch we did a few weeks ago was a golden ale. We broke them down into adding 1) coffee beans 2) cold brewed coffee (obviously we are going for a coffee flavored beer) 3) David's Honey Tea 4) the golden ale by itself. The coffee beans one was a bit stronger than the cold brewed coffee but both tasted really good, if you like coffee. The Honey Tea one was just too sweet for me.

If you want to see a bit more of what we've done, or plan on doing in the future, follow us on instagram @deckheadbrewing

As I say, we are just getting going but plan on getting bigger as we go.
    Are you putting in the coffee/flavour ingredients in intervals? Like 15min into the cook, 30min into it, 45min, 55min, and right at the end? Or just all in at once?

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Are you putting in the coffee/flavour ingredients in intervals? Like 15min into the cook, 30min into it, 45min, 55min, and right at the end? Or just all in at once?
    Once we cooled it down and broke it down into 1G carboys, the "flavor" goes in at that time for a few weeks before we carbonate and bottle.

Dobber Sports Star

If you're going to get serious about getting bigger, I'd definitely recommend that you do it in a big step rather than piecemeal changing/upgrading bits of your system, as that can mean you're just changing one bottleneck/flaw for another.

The guys at BrewHa Equipment make an awesome compact footprint system.

My favourite thing about homebrew was being able to make beers that were delicious but otherwise commercially non-viable. I consistently made a summer ale that was off-the-charts in terms of hop flavour and aroma (citrus fruits and flowers) while still clocking in at a very modest 25 IBU of bitterness.

Dobber Sports Deity

Once we cooled it down and broke it down into 1G carboys, the "flavor" goes in at that time for a few weeks before we carbonate and bottle.

Dobber Sports Titan

Adding it in during the cook (like after you extract the sugars from the grains when you cook the wort for like an hr) I think makes it not as strong as a flavour I think too.

I know people add in fruit during the fermentation process, but apparently adding things in during the cooking of wort produces a different taste.

Also, next time I'm def cooking the mash in a bag. It would make it so much easier.

Dobber Sports Deity

Adding it in during the cook (like after you extract the sugars from the grains when you cook the wort for like an hr) I think makes it not as strong as a flavour I think too.

I know people add in fruit during the fermentation process, but apparently adding things in during the cooking of wort produces a different taste.

Also, next time I'm def cooking the mash in a bag. It would make it so much easier.
    Adding at that time could make a difference too I suppose.

We use the bag for our mash. Definitely makes it easier.

Dobber Sports Deity

Thought I'd revive this thread on the hunt for different beer flavors to try and brew.

For those craft beer lovers out there, what have you been drinking lately that is different? I don't need to know that you had an IPA from such and such a brew shop. I am more looking for differing flavors to infuse into a brew.

My buddy and me recently tried brewing out own version of a Banana Bread beer. It's still in the fermentation stages but it smells awesome. Cant wait to try that one.

What have you tried recently that was different and really good?

Dobber Sports Titan

Thought I'd revive this thread on the hunt for different beer flavors to try and brew.

For those craft beer lovers out there, what have you been drinking lately that is different? I don't need to know that you had an IPA from such and such a brew shop. I am more looking for differing flavors to infuse into a brew.

My buddy and me recently tried brewing out own version of a Banana Bread beer. It's still in the fermentation stages but it smells awesome. Cant wait to try that one.

What have you tried recently that was different and really good?
    I think the summer has been getting to me as I have had quite a few sours recently that I really enjoyed. Raspberry, passionfruit, apricot, etc. Not sure how difficult sours are to brew on your own?
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Administrator

Funny, I saw the thread title and my first thought was brewing coffee.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    I think the summer has been getting to me as I have had quite a few sours recently that I really enjoyed. Raspberry, passionfruit, apricot, etc. Not sure how difficult sours are to brew on your own?
    My brewing buddy loves sours. I am not a fan. I just cant get into them.

Dobber Sports Titan

My brewing buddy loves sours. I am not a fan. I just cant get into them.
    To each their own, just thought I would share.

As for actual beers I haven't had much outside of my usual circle this summe. However, I have my honeymoon coming up visiting a few places in Europe, so I'll try to remember to let you know if I find something.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)