Thread: Pts only league. Backstrom, Monahan or Barzal. This yr and beyond???

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Pts only league. Backstrom, Monahan or Barzal. This yr and beyond???

Please give me your thoughts.

Thanks!!

Big Daddy

Default Re: Pts only league. Backstrom, Monahan or Barzal. This yr and beyond???

Barzal
    Monahan
    Backstrom

I might have Backstrom above Monahan but he is getting up there in age. Go for Barzal regardless.
    PAT QUINN MEMORIAL CUP
    Clouds of Blood
    12 Team Head-to-Head
    G-A-PPP-SOG-FW-HIT-BLK / W-GAA-SV%-SV
    24 Man Roster
    Keep: 6 Forwards, 4 Defencemen, 1 Goaltender & 1 Prospect
    Keepers:
    C - McDavid, Matthews, Aho
    LW - Panarin
    RW - Pastrnak
    D - Hedman, Hamilton, Doughty, Burns
    G - Markström
    P - Cayden Primeau

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Re: Pts only league. Backstrom, Monahan or Barzal. This yr and beyond???

I would go Barzal first because he's clearly THE guy in Long Island and the whole offense runs by him. Plus, he's an amazing talent. If he starts shooting more, he'll be an Art Ross contender for years to come.

Monahan and Backstrom are both interesting cases to me as centers who are strong talents but are made into superstars by their teammates (Gaudreau and Ovechkin). Last year, I would've had Backstrom over Monahan but with the MVP season Gaudreau is having plus the fact that Ovie and Backstrom are older and not always linemates anymore, I think Monahan has the edge.

Dobber Sports Recruit

I agree with the previous two respondents - Barzal, Monahan, Backstrom in that order of preference (pts only).
    Watching Barzal with the puck is reminiscent of Gaudreau, but even younger and is now filling out his frame. His speed and puck handling is elite, and if you want to imagine what he'll do if he gets another elite talent on his line, just look at his performance with Crosby and Letang in the all-star game final (sure, just 3 on 3, but gave a glimpse of what he can do when paired with other highly skilled players).
    Monahan is always under-rated, all he does is put up solid numbers year after year, and I see him much like a Panarin who people said just rode Kaine's coat tails, but we see in Columbus that he's a talent in his own right. He's in his prime.
    Backstrom is unquestionably and elite playmaker, but both he and Ovie are creeping up to decline years. Given the choices I'd rank these guys in youth order.

Dobber Sports Jedi

this year Barzal's at the bottom of this list.

beyond, it's

Barzal
    Monahan
    Backstrom
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Novice

Seems like a consensus . . . the old short term vs long term quandary. Playoffs this yr are important for a win. Still not sure how big a difference between the 3 as they all are in at this point. . . .?