Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Skills Competition

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Skills Competition

I haven't watched this for a few years now but I'm up at a chalet so we had it on in the background last night.

The passing drill might have been the worst and most painful thing I have ever seen in my life. Who in their right mind thought that would be entertaining television. The NHL needs to stop trying to please every team and have every player involved multiple times. Seriously no one cares who can sauce a puck over a board or pass to markers that changed way too fast.

Next year it should just be skater, breakaway, hardest shot and accuracy. 1.5 to 2 hour event.

Ok I'm done

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Re: Skills Competition

Also. Haha. Surprised they made the change from Saturday 7pm EST to Friday 930 pm! Shouldn't they want to have kids eyes on the Competition? It ended at midnight.

Dobber Sports Wizard

I actually think those accuracy shooting and passing competitions are the best part of that whole day. Those shootouts are just stupid, hardest shot is pointless, and fastest skater is a huge injury risk. I would remove those three quite easily.

To be fair, I haven't watched the event this year, so not sure if anything has changed from last year.

Dobber Sports Wizard

How about Brianna Decker actually beating Draisaitl's time in the passing drill? And Kendall Coyne beating Keller in the fastest skater? Pretty awesome.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Tony DeNiro View Post
    How about Brianna Decker actually beating Draisaitl's time in the passing drill? And Kendall Coyne beating Keller in the fastest skater? Pretty awesome.
    I'm not a fan of the speed skating. It is a disaster waiting to happen. I didn't see it but Miro Heiskanen lost an edge and crashed into the boards. He was lucky to escape injury but why would anyone want to compete in this event. I did see Kendall Coyne and held my breath at every turn.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Speed skating and hardest shot are the only things worth watching. The other 2.5+ hours are a snooze fest.

The entire All Star weekend is pitiful. They should scrap the entire thing.

The Great One

I haven't watched the all Star weekend since I was a kid.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Tony DeNiro View Post
    Very cool and glad they're getting some recognition.

Dobber Sports Pro

CCM will give Decker 25 000$ ( just like Draisaitl ) for her amazing performance at the skills competition. That’s a nice reward and she totally deserve it!
    League 1
    10 team, Dynasty, points only, 30 players, keep20 starts 12 F, 6 D, 2G , unlimited prospects(can keep them max 5 years)
    F: Mackinnon,Marner, Panarin, Eichel, Fiala, Hughes, Svechnikov, Robertson, Bratt, Kuznetsov, Hischier, B.Tkachuk, M.Tkachuk, Scheifele, Wheeler, Jenner, Drouin, Tatar, Colton
    D:Hughes, Hamilton, Karlsson, Dunn, Burns, Theodore, Slavin, Trouba G: Shesterkin, Binnington, Vanecek
    League2
    Cap league (82.5M with AAV), points only, 12 teams, keep 7, (9F, 4D, 2G)
    F: Hughes, Zuccarello,RNH, Marchessault, Scheifele, Toffoli, O’Reilly, Trocheck, Buchnevich extra: Marchenko
    D: Makar, Dahlin, Seider, Andersson
    G: Hellebuyck, Talbot

Dobber Sports Titan

ASG isn't designed to be for adults anyways. It's meant for kids. How the Mascots aren't more involved on the ice is surprising.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Demi-God

The mascots were in full effect at ASG, just not during the hockey player events:
    https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelph...ities-san-jose

The silicon valley plug was pretty good (look for Gritty flying in!!!):
    https://twitter.com/NHL/status/1089185042365145088

And just gonna put this right here:

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    The mascots were in full effect at ASG, just not during the hockey player events:

Gritty's eyes are looking a lot less loopy.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post

That's what I mean though. I know they do this stuff every year and it just rarely makes it on TV, but this yr was a bit different because of Gritty. Outside of Gritty, they are all pretty typical and generic acting. I'm just surprised even the home ice mascot isn't on the ice doing stuff during the skills comp or something.

Could they not do like a 3 on 3 with the mascots and do like half ice kind of thing? Whenever the skills comp gets slow, broadcast on the jumbo-tron the Mascots doing like a scavenger hunt around the host city. I just feel like they're missing out at an opportunity to use the mascots when the skills comp gets slow. Cause it really does at times.

However, if the idea is to not have them on TV stealing the spotlight from the actual all-stars, then I get it.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    ASG isn't designed to be for adults anyways. It's meant for kids. How the Mascots aren't more involved on the ice is surprising.
    This - if you want to enjoy the AS weekend - watch it with your child, niece, nephew 12 or under. You'll find that all-star enjoyment you had at that age.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    This - if you want to enjoy the AS weekend - watch it with your child, niece, nephew 12 or under. You'll find that all-star enjoyment you had at that age.
    Or....turn it into a drinking game like I did with some buddies.