Thread: Who are the DFS hockey players here?

Administrator

Default Who are the DFS hockey players here?

Just wondering who here is heavily involved in DFS. I've never done it and probably never will so I don't know the winning formula(s). What are successful people using to win? Is there anything outside of what we have in Frozen Tools that would be helpful?

Earlier this week a request was put in to have a report where you select a shooter and it displays his shooting % vs every goalie. I just don't see how this is relevant because of small sample size and the other factors (ie existing hot/cold streaks) that would have a major influence on this number and has nothing to do with the goalie himself. But again I'm not a DFS player. I just don't want to create a report that doesn't bring people closer to winning.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: Who are the DFS hockey players here?

The key thing to winning daily fantasy is picking the best players. (obvious, yes... but...)
    Since hockey awards two assist to every goal, that often means that players who score together will be top players together.
    Winners of any "mass-entry" (50+) pools almost always have investments in player tandems or trios that play together.

As an example:
    If an entry picks Nathan MacKinnon... then they might as well just lock in Landeskog AND Rantanen.
    Those three guys play together on line 1... AND... PP1.
    If somebody doesn't pick all those guys, it's almost a lock they will lose to the guy that DOES pick all three of those guys.

Q: Is this common knowledge?
    A: Well, yes - pretty much. We all know this.
    BUT: There's an extension of this theory that could be programmed... for value... to a DFS bettor.
    (and this is something I've been proposing for years... but hasn't been implemented... but I'll still recommend it again anyways...)

Stats & game logs haven't yet capitalized on merging these two information sources together.
    For me, a good player log shows stats... and then... at the end, list that players most common LINEMATES and PP1 linemates in the stats.

So.. the columns would list:
    OPP. G, A, P, SOG, PPP... (all the other standards)... and then... TOI, TOI*, PPTOI, PPTOI*.

TOI* would be most common even-strength linemates.
    If the player is MacKinnon, you could just list jersey numbers of his forward linemates: 92, 96

PPTOI* would be most common PP1 mates: 4, 37, 92, 96

Now somebody can visually look at a game log and see information about linemates for each game.
    Looking at the last 10 game log... they might see a point where the player switched linemates, ES or PP.
    This VISUALLY indicates why/when a player may have been promoted or demoted... and it might translate to understanding the players change in stats.

To take it a step further,
    DFS-ers are also logging into websites between 10am-12pm to check practice line updates for teams.

I still go to LeftWingLock (sorry, still better GUI) each day around noon to see their list of practice line combination updates: "LATEST LINE COMBOS" (Yum PengFave).
    On my desktop PC, there's a list on the right side-bar that gets updated with each practice line combination entered that day. (I'm clicking every one between about noon and 2pm, sometimes btw 10am-12pm too)
    This allows me to check and see who is practicing with whom... such as... Trevor Moore practicing on Leafs PP2 unit today, 10:43am.
    Teams get in a rut, the coaches say/think "I'm gonna switch lines around".
    First evidence of this is practice.

As an example, I checked Detroit yesterday and saw that Dennis Cholowski wasn't paired in Detroit's three D combinations.
    (He had been scratched in Vancouver, so I already knew there was good chance he wouldn't play for a 2nd straight night.)
    I saw he wasn't paired in the top six...
    So I demoted him on my WHL team and added somebody who was going to get me points.

That sort of "Unlikely to play tonight/Not-Practicing-With-Starters" information is valuable.
    As would be a simple player line-promotion to line1 or PP1.

In fact, a NEWS STREAM purely based on practice-updates showing players switching lines is immensely valuable.

And this can all be data-collected/data-identified... if line combinations are logged numerically.
    You can update the next upcoming game with "practice line information".

If the system sees that MacKinnon's TOI* or PPTOI* numbers (jerseys of linemates) have changed from his past game, then it issues a NEWS FEED UPDATE.

That's a project... and that's value.
    And nobody (to what I've seen yet) is doing this in a game log format and auto-NEWS-FEED ing that to a stream (twitter/newspage feed).
    (LWL has tried, but their feed sucks for their little green arrow up and red arrow down. I'd rather trust reviewing each team's lines myself.)

The end point is this:
    On some random day in the future, the Avs may break up the big line.
    And Sven Andrighetto might end up, shifted during practice, to line 1 AND PP1 with MacKinnon and Rantanen.
    How do you get that information clearly out to the DFS bettor immediately when practice identifies that switch?
    If they can put Andrighetto into their DFS line-up at a discount amount (and maybe exclude Landeskog, if he's line 2, PP2)... then they've got an advantage.