Thread: Krug vs. Barriie - who ya got?

The Great One

Default Krug vs. Barriie - who ya got?

Never would I have guessed that August was the last time I did a Cage Match featuring defensemen. So I decided to fix that, and, while I was at it, to make it a marquee battle between two of the best rearguard point producers in today's NHL - Krug and Barrie: https://dobberhockey.com/hockey-home...-tyson-barrie/

As you'll read in the column, owning either one is a treat for poolies because both have the type of fantasy deployment that dreams are made of. So this was one of those matches where it wasn't so much a winner and loser, but one player being slightly better than the other. Give the column a read and see if you agree with my choice and rationale, and come back here to share your comments and insights, particularly if you own either player.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: Krug vs. Barriie - who ya got?

All I can say is that I own Krug and you gave me the urge to own Barrie as well.
    10-team Pts only, 19-man roster, 9F, 4D, 2G, 4bench 95M cap league
    F: T.Tompson Pasta Kaprizov Rantanen Gaudreau Necas Greig Zegras Vilardi
    D: Josi Bouchard Sandin Sanheim
    G Shesterkin Samsonov
    B: Woll Perfetti Poitras
    Farm: Guenther, Will Smith

Dobber Sports Veteran

Nice article!

I owned both mid-way through last season, but due to cap space I had to move one. Personally, I valued them the exact same at that point, and ended up shipping off Barrie to an Avs fan for a greater return than what I could have got for Krug! Since then, I've made moves to specifically get enough space to re-acquire him but I've been told it's going to cost me.... big!
    16 Team - Keep 5 - H2H Points
    Start: 2C/2LW/2RW/4D/2G - 4Bench
    G/A(1.25) STP(1.5) GWG(3) SOG(0.25) H(0.2) Blks(0.25) +/-(0.25) PIM(0.1) FOW(0.1)

C: Malkin, Kopitar, Hartman, Johansen
    LW: Ovechkin, Pacioretty, Barbashev (C)
    RW: Rust, Mangiapane (LW), Rodrigues (LW)
    D: DeAngelo, Karlsson, Faulk, Morrisey, Myers
    G: A. Forsberg, Price, Reimer, Holtby

Dobber Sports Sage

Good article Rizz. Intution told me Krug coming in. One thing I do like about Krug is his games played over the last 5 seasons (79, 78, 81,81, and 76) VS Barrie (64, 80, 78, 74, 68). This season aside (Krug missed the first 11 games), Krug has been a bit more consistent with games played. Both are great fantasy owns.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Rizzee thank you for continually pitting together players I have been debating over this season! I am lucky to have both and have been following both very closely this year.

Now while both are amazing I have to choose between one at the end of the season (more on why below). At this moment even after reading your article I still pick Krug. You do make a valid point that at this time Barrie has had no challengers.. yet. Krug has survived continual attempts to dethrone him from PP1 over the past year or two by McAvoy but it seems McAvoy just cannot cut it as the focal point of offense from the back line.

Barrie on the other hand has only had his spot challenged by Girard the last 2 years, but Girard has shown he can keep PP1 up to speed when Barrie was injured/not playing well. Couple that with Makar making his way up soon I think Barrie will be the first one off this team.

Both players also play Line 2 on ES and Krugs Line 2 is on another level compared to Colorados line 2 for the foreseeable future imo. I feel Boston needs Krug more than Colorado needs Barrie in the 3 year term and with Krugs contract expiring 2019-20 he will have a higher incentive to produce next year.

Now I have to choose between these two and Ghost points only with 10 keepers. Rizzee I feel like I know who you will pick out of these 3 going forward but I feel like I must keep Ghost as I just traded for him this summer and paid big (Ghost/Aho for Rantanen eek). Would you say keep Barrie/Krug out of these 3? Cheers!
    - Keeper League / 10 Keepers / 1 PT per G or A / 2 PT per W - 2 PT per SO -

F: Rantanen, Monahan, Barkov, Aho, Wheeler, Keller, Nylander J. Hughes, Reinhart. W. Karlsson, Konecny, Rust, E. Staal, Killorn, Getzlaf,
    D: Krug, Gustafsson, Provorov, Morrissey, DeAngelo
    G: Andersen, Jarry, Rittich, Murray

Dobber Sports Apprentice

They are both far more similar than I would have originally thought. I like Barrie as well but I think his edge is with the top line he plays with. That Colorado line to me has more time left together than the Boston one and Barrie should have more production long term going forward
    Keep 3 League, 14 team H2H, Roster: 6F, 4D, 4BN, 2G
    Cats: G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, PIM, HITS, BLKS, W, GAA, SA, SV%
    F: Matthews, Pastrnak, Hughes, Pettersson, Guentzel, Meier, Hyman, Streamer
    D: Dahlin, Carlson, Trouba, Gudas, Larsson
    G: Oettinger, Talbot, Swayman

One Year League, 10 Team H2H, Roster: 2C, 2LW, 2RW, W, F, 4D, UTIL, 5BN, 2G
    Cats: G, A, PPP, SHP, SOG, SH%, PIM, HITS, BLKS W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    C: McDavid, Thomas, Rossi
    LW: Guentzel, McTavish, Byfield, Huberdeau
    RW: Miller, Barzal, Zuccarello, Schmaltz, Tarasenko
    D: Josi, Seider, Trouba, Gudas, L. Hughes
    G: Oettinger, Demko
    IR: Hamilton

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I actually prefer Krug here due to:

1. What I perceive as stronger internal threats coming soon to threaten him, someone above mentioned Girard, which is a good point.
    2. Colorado being a more limited team financially.
    3. Krug being healthier, generally.

It's close, but that's why you pick them that way.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Big Daddy

Have any opinions changed since the conclusion of the season/playoffs?

Dobber Sports Giant

As a Barrie owner, I've gotta say I think I would feel more comfortable with Krug.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin