Thread: Patrik Berglund doesn't like hockey

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Patrik Berglund doesn't like hockey

Sad story today on NHL.com about why Patrik Berglund left the Sabres. He simply does not like the game anymore? It sounds like he's got some personal issues to sort through. Hope he ends up ok. Wish him the best, and glad this wasn't an indictment on Buffalo.

A couple quotes:

"Why skate around and do something I don't like anymore," Berglund said in comments published Friday by Hockeypuls, a Swedish website. "When you feel as bad as I did and feel what I feel today... I really feel I've taken the right decision. Right now, I can't tell whether I will play again or not. I'm in the process of healing."

"I want to say that I'm really sorry about leaving and letting Buffalo down as a team," said Berglund, who has 326 points (170 goals, 156 assists) in 717 games with the Blues and Sabres. "The players were wonderful, and I wish the players and the organization nothing but the best in the future. They have not done anything wrong."

Sabres coach Phil Housley called what happened with Berglund unfortunate and wished him well. "Personally, Patrik is a terrific guy. He meant well," Housley told the Buffalo News before the Sabres played the Vancouver Canucks at Rogers Arena on Friday (10 p.m. ET; SNP, MSG +, NHL.TV). "He was a team player. Great teammate."

"I don't want to say that this is the end for me," Berglund said. "I hope I can find the joy to play again. This season is completely done. There won't be any more hockey for me this season. Right now I need a lot of help and a chance to get away from hockey."

The Great One

Default Re: Patrik Berglund doesn't like hockey

It's nice to see there is no mud slinging on either side; hopefully Berglund has enough cash to retire comfortably and uses his time to find happiness.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I'm not sure I would say that he doesn't like hockey anymore. I see it as he was unhappy with his role with his new team and just couldn't accept it - he was unhappy with his situation and didn't know how else to change it. He might be able to take some time away and then try to play again and maybe he'll rediscover his passion for the game...or not. I like what he said about walking away from more than $12M left on his contract, that the money won't make him happy (obviously, he has a few bucks stashed away).
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Master

Can’t forget he was projected to be a bigtime player and drafted in the first round. Never living up to the expectations even if they were unfair of him (especially actually) is so hard. Depression and struggles of that nature are very real. I wish him recovery and a return to pro hockey if he wants it.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    It's nice to see there is no mud slinging on either side; hopefully Berglund has enough cash to retire comfortably and uses his time to find happiness.
    rough estimate , 24 mil befores taxes not including what he's walked away from
    https://www.capfriendly.com/players/patrik-berglund