Thread: Draisaitl vs. Monahan - who ya got?

The Magnificent One

Default Draisaitl vs. Monahan - who ya got?

Not an easy choice, what with both on pace to smash their career highs and still likely not yet at their peak based on their ages. But Cage Match never shies away from tough assignments, so I decided to tackle these two this week: https://dobberhockey.com/hockey-home...-sean-monahan/

As you'll see it wasn't an easy decision to pick a winner, as on one hand you have Monahan who benefits from playing with Gaudreau but that's less of a concern now since they're basically as joined at the hip as any top line duo in the NHL. Draisaitl plays with McDavid, but not always, so the concern is the extent to which he does line up with him, and how much that accounts for Draisaitl's scoring. In the end you'll see if boiled down to small factors - give it a read and come back to discuss the conclusions/findings and share your two cents if you own either or both players.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Re: Draisaitl vs. Monahan - who ya got?

I’ll take Drais, I liked the advanced stats you provided in the breakdown as you hear people say how LD is so dependent on McDavid, however your article shows he not. Of course he produces great with him, but I think Monahan would fall off more without Gaudreau vs LD without McDavid, even though Calgary has more talent. I watch Calg and Monahan doesn’t impress me that much, he’s good but I think Drais is more skilled with what he can do.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I like Monahan playing more top line minutes but it is close. If I know for sure Drai is staying next to McDavid, then he's the winner. And his slight bump in multi-cat settings probably gives him the overall edge. I'd prefer Monahan in cap leagues though.
    12 team H2H Keep-6
    G/A/PPP/GWG/PIM/SOG/HIT/BLK
    W/TotalSaves/GAA/SHO
    3C/3LW/3RW/5Def/1UTIL/1G

C: Crosby, Kopitar, McCann
    LW: Marchand, R. Rakell, A. Lee, T. Meier
    RW: Wheeler, K. Palmieri, A. Shaw, Aston-Reese
    D: Klingberg, D. Nurse, J. Trouba, A. Larsson, Klefbom, Schultz
    G: Ben Bishop, Jakob Markstrom, M. Smith
    IR:
    Byfuglien, Pastrnak, Karlsson

Dobber Sports Sage

Great article Rizz and my intuition going into it was Leon and I feel the same way coming out of it.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Stud

It's so close but I'll take Drais