Thread: NHL Bye Weeks - H2H Scheduling

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default NHL Bye Weeks - H2H Scheduling

How do your leagues do their schedule for the two bye weeks we are facing coming up? 10 teams have a bye from Monday to Friday next week, followed by the remaining 21 teams the week after.

One team in my league has his entire team on a bye in Week 2. Help this Commish make his league more fair. I thought Fantrax would account for this somehow.

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: NHL Bye Weeks - H2H Scheduling

I think most leagues have rolled the two weeks around the all-star break into one.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Demi-God

It depends on how a league is set-up and how the playoff structure was toggled.

I comish two keeper H2H leagues on FANTRAX:
    In my 12-team league, we have a 22-week regular season... and week #17 is two calendar weeks: Jan 21-Feb 3. All NHL teams have their "BYE" in here, so it works out close to one-standard-week of NHL games.
    In my 24-team league, we have a 23-week regular season... and week #17 is a very short Mon/Tue/Wed (Jan21-23, that's IT!) with a LOT of byes, then week #18 is a Tue-Sun... some missed BYE games, but not as limited as Week #17.
    ***I didn't manually create these weeks, but I think there are checkboxes like "Combine short weeks" that may be default selected... and I think those go off if a league pushes to more than 22 weeks.***?

I had to apologize to my 24-team league for our Week #17.
    This is the first year, IIRC, that NHL has set up the BYE weeks so that ALL 31 NHL teams have their bye on one or the other side of the ASB.
    So, it becomes a VERY light NHL schedule around the all-star-break, especially with about 16 teams on BYE from Thurs-Sun leading into the ASB.

Just something new - if you are like me, you can only apologize and say "Sorry, do your best".
    I really think it is too late in season to consider messing with a league schedule (or league rules).
    In my 24-team league, trying to merge the two weeks would mean dropping ONE full opponent off the schedule - which would've been more fair than just dealing with the "short week".

It is what it is. Hopefully your leaguemates can appreciate that this was a hard item for a commissioner to foresee.
    I expect all GMs to help look out for things like this... if they didn't help see it coming, then they shouldn't complain about it.
    A league is a community - everybody should be looking out for its best interest. My 2 cents.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    I think most leagues have rolled the two weeks around the all-star break into one.
    Yep this is what mine does.

Dobber Sports Padawan

What a great idea. I run the H2H part of our pool and never thought of that. Have to keep it in mind (somehow I hope) until next year.
    I wonder if the NHL will do the bye weeks like this again next year.

I just checked out 26 teams and they all have 8-10 full days off during their bye "week".

EDIT...as "dictator" of the H2H part of our pool, and as there is time to notify everyone about the change, I've decided to run the next 2 weeks as one match.. I'll have to do a bit of manual math to tabulate things but no big deal. And it doesn't affect our schedule as we were already going to take Jan 27 - Feb 2 off anyway. Think this is much fairer for all teams. Thanks for posting that idea EB.
    SOME POOL RULES. Points only (G-1, A-1). One year Hybrid Pool. 3 round draft with balance of roster selected from any undrafted NHLer.. 19F 4 D 2 Rooks SALARIES AND POSITIONS DO NOT MATTER (other than being a F or D). NO Inter-Team Trading, Bench or Minors. Our WAIVER WIRE is ANY player in the NHL who is not Drafted in our league's 3 round draft. Each manager gets 6 ADD/DROPS (TRADES) for the year...any player on roster can be TRADED for any unDrafted F/D/R from ANY NHL team. INJURY RULE "IR". A hurt player can be replaced by another F/D from HIS NHL team and this is NOT considered a trade.. Injured player can be put back on team any time.

The Great One

For the league in my sig, the Commish isn't doing anything. Unfortunately for me, next week I'm unable to fill a complete roster. I will have two players in my starting lineup without any games to be played next week, and most of the ones that have games only play 1 or 2 games.

Conversely, the team I am playing in my H2H match up so happens to have most of his players with 3 games next week. In all, the match up will have 6 or 7 games for my team vs 18 games for his team.

This really sucks because we only have two weeks left in the regular season and I'm currently tied for 2nd overall with a chance to catch first place (if not for this scheduling fiasco).

I don't know that there is much my Commish could have done about this. It is just bad luck, in a way. I'm pretty sure I'm the only team that won't be able to field a full roster.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Administrator

IMO you have two choices:
    1) Plan ahead when you set the schedule before the season
    2) Bite the bullet and move on

I don't advise tampering with your league schedule now since the season is already half over. If your league is fully in favor of a schedule change then go for it but I would never support that myself. Bye weeks are a part of the game. In NFL pools people sometimes have to punt a week because of multiple key players being off the same week. Shit happens.

In the future I advise checking the schedule yourself and not assume Fantrax will take care of it for you.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Big Daddy

I’m assuming Yahoo will use the format. I believe that was the solution last season.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by DusterDave View Post
    I’m assuming Yahoo will use the format. I believe that was the solution last season.
    You as a Yahoo comish should have checked by now

Yes, they have indeed put the two together.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Jedi

I've done this in the league I run... the other 4 I'm in... two have... two haven't.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Superstar

Had not even though about it until now... and I'm the Commish!

I just checked ESPN and week 17 is indeed a double week from January 21 to February 3rd.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR