Thread: Quinn Hughes

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Quinn Hughes

How fast can he be impactful in your opinion? Can he take off next year and seize 1st PP duties?

I really like his skating and mobility along the blue line and Vancouver really needs that. I mostly wonder if you think it will take time for him to develop at the NHL level. He didn't put a lot of points at the WJC though (2 in 7).
    Points-only keeper league. 12 teams. Keep any 12 players. Dress 12F - 6D - 2G.

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Re: Quinn Hughes

It could easily take a few years for him to make the team AND get impactful fantasy deployment.

If you're looking for fast (ie next year), I'd be looking elsewhere. Sure it's possible but looking around the league and the way defensemen typically develop its extremely unlikely. Look at guys like dahlin and heiskenen, both have had opportunities this season and they haven't exactly taken off and dominated offensively. Both are more highly regarded than Hughes.

Temper next year's expectations to: Hopefully he plays in the NHL next season and looks like he belongs. If he doesn't then you have to be fine with him developing in the minors.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Star

A look at the development of other high-level d-draftees is instructive.

Karlsson took a couple of years to surpass the normal 35-45 point range.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/pla...karlser01.html

Hedman took four years to break 50 points

https://www.hockey-reference.com/pla...hedmavi01.html

The safe route is to assume that Hughes' first year will be sheltered and he won't be asked to do too much. Then perhaps some growing pains in year 2. Then the reins are taken off in year 3. But his development could go in any direction.

Dobber Sports Sage

It will be interesting to see what sort of contract VAN offers Alex Edler. That should be very informative of the organizations plans regarding Q. Hughes.

Dobber Sports Genius

I dunno the league is way different even when Karlesson and Headmen were coming up. I could see a 30/70 chance he becomes impact full next year, and 50/50 for the year after. Depending on what Edler does they will need that quarterback immediately in Van.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,,J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov, C.Giroux, T.Terry
    D: Q. Hughes, A.Pietrangelo, J.Carlson, A.Ekblad, Sanheim
    G:Bobrovsky, Ingram

Administrator

Lots of sage advise here re: young defensemen and also the impact of what Edler's return might mean in terms of PP minutes and overall opportunity.

I wouldn't be too hot for Hughes if you are talking about the league in your signature, where the number of players kept from year to year is limited and he might not make your top 12 for a couple of years.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Apprentice

This is actualy a very helpful thread since I thought he was for sure making the team next year and probably contributing right off the gate on a depleted D corps in VAN. There is a lot of competition aside from Edler.

The shelter role I could buy since it is known that Q. Hughes has trouble defending in his own zone
    10-team Pts only, 19-man roster, 9F, 4D, 2G, 4bench 95M cap league
    F: T.Tompson Pasta Kaprizov Rantanen Gaudreau Necas Greig Zegras Vilardi
    D: Josi Bouchard Sandin Sanheim
    G Shesterkin Samsonov
    B: Woll Perfetti Poitras
    Farm: Guenther, Will Smith