Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Commish thinks my deal could ruin the league ...

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Commish thinks my deal could ruin the league ...

h2h pts dynasty league
    16 teams
    goals 3
    assists 2
    3C, 3lw, 3rw, 6d, 3skt, 2G

I traded 6 first round picks from 2019 for Erik Karlsson + Evan Bouchard. 3 of those picks at the moment (standings wise) are lottery picks which could get 1st overall in 2019. My farm is already very strong so I figured I'd work a deal where I would get rid of my picks since I don't want to drop anyone in my farm. Maybe I did lose value but I think Bouchard alone is worth a top 10 pick, Erik Karlsson I thought was worth the rest, if none of the picks win the draft lottery I think it's basically lots of speculation for some very proven talent. But anyhoo, the commish messaged me and claimed I was drunk when I did the deal and that this may ruin the league. Just wondering what your guys thoughts on 6 first round picks for Erik Karlsson + Evan Bouchard. Thanks

Here is my team currently:

C- Gourde
    C- Krejci
    C- Namestnikov
    LW- Drouin
    LW- Keller
    LW- Vesey
    RW- DeBrusk
    RW- Virtanen
    RW- Vrana
    D- Ekblad
    D- Gostisbehere
    D- Karlsson
    D- Murray
    D- Pilut
    D- Zaitsev
    SKT- Bennett
    SKT- Mantha
    SKT- Patrick
    G- Hellebuyck
    G- Brossoit

BENCH
    Arvidsson
    Boeser
    Kase
    Brodie
    Fowler
    Vatrano

IR

Schmaltz

MINORS

Andersson
    Fabbri
    Glass
    Heinen
    Iskhakov
    Lundestrom
    Vilardi
    Kaprizov
    Vesalainen
    Chytil
    Kravtsov
    Olofsson
    Puljujarvi
    Scherbak
    Bouchard
    Dobson
    Honka
    Niku
    Georgiev

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Re: Commish thinks my deal could ruin the league ...

Well the problem I have with this is that if 6 first round picks to another team ruins the league then the league was already ruined when you had 6 first round picks before you made this trade. So, I don't buy it.

The reality is we have a Superstar (E. Karlsson) being traded for a bunch of potential NHL players. One of which (Jack Hughes) has a good likely hood in being a great NHL player, but there's certainly no guarantee that he ever gets to where Karlsson is now. It's likely a team that has a weak farm so the trade ends up being win/win for you and the other GM, which is a lose for every other GM and nothing more.

I just don't see how this ruins the league. Either way someone had 6 first round picks next season and that someone had to give up a bunch to get them.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Veteran

Well, were you drunk?

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by audiopile View Post
    Well, were you drunk?
    No.

There is a chance none of the (3) picks become a top 3 pick. I figured the other 3 picks are late first round picks who will be equal to lesser value than the 5 or so worst prospects of my team to begin with. I think it was a good deal for my team, maybe I'm wrong.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by StuntMan12 View Post
    No.

There is a chance none of the (3) picks become a top 3 pick. I figured the other 3 picks are late first round picks who will be equal to lesser value than the 5 or so worst prospects of my team to begin with. I think it was a good deal for my team, maybe I'm wrong.
    Great deal for your team imo.

Dobber Sports Stud

Nowhere near a league ruiner. Picks are always over-valued in dynasty leagues, I joke with friends that I can get twice as much in return for say the 8th pick in the draft than I can get for the player drafted 8th overall 3 months later.

You just got a generational talent and the guy who has, by far, the highest ceiling of any Dman in your format, without giving up an actual assets. There's a better than 50% chance that none of the picks you traded play a single minute in the NHL next season. There's also a better than 50% chance that Erik Karlsson outscores the next highest scoring Dman by 10+ points next season. So yeah, the trade makes sense.
    16 GM Dynasty
    H2H Points
    Weekly Matchups w/ Starts: 12F/6D/2G
    G(3), A(2), +/-(0.1), Hit(0.1), SOG(0.1), BS(0.1), PPP(1), SHP(1)
    W(4), L(-2), SO(4), Sv(0.2), GA(-1)

F: A. Svechnikov, R. Thomas, N. Suzuki, Pastrnak, Boldy, J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Frost, Tolvanen, Drouin, Heinen, Gallagher, N. Ritchie, Wood, Poehling, Podkolzin

D: Makar, Fox, Dobson, Byram, Dahlin, Ferraro, Michael Stone

G Sorokin, Hart, Georgiev, DeSmith

Farm: Firkus, Kayumov, Heimosalmi, Brennan, Werner, Kvaca, Parik

Dobber Sports Monster

Thank you for the replies. It's always good to get another persons perspective on a trade.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

h2h pts dynasty league
    I traded 6 first round picks from 2019 for Erik Karlsson + Evan Bouchard. 3 of those picks at the moment (standings wise) are lottery picks which could get 1st overall in 2019. My farm is already very strong so I figured I'd work a deal where I would get rid of my picks since I don't want to drop anyone in my farm. Maybe I did lose value but I think Bouchard alone is worth a top 10 pick, Erik Karlsson I thought was worth the rest, if none of the picks win the draft lottery I think it's basically lots of speculation for some very proven talent. But anyhoo, the commish messaged me and claimed I was drunk when I did the deal and that this may ruin the league. Just wondering what your guys thoughts on 6 first round picks for Erik Karlsson + Evan Bouchard.
    I basically agree with MZac's point above. If one team having too many first round picks will ruin the league, what is the "too many" number? Assigning the picks, say, 4 to Karlsson & 2 to Bouchard, what is crazy or league ruining there?

One other point, did he tell the league you were drunk, or just you? If he told the league that, you need to correct that, and fast.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Veteran

No.

Heh, don’t get me wrong bud. It’s a good deal for you and won’t ruin the league. Your team isn’t suddenly unbeatable with this deal so I’d just let it blow over.

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    I basically agree with MZac's point above. If one team having too many first round picks will ruin the league, what is the "too many" number? Assigning the picks, say, 4 to Karlsson & 2 to Bouchard, what is crazy or league ruining there?

One other point, did he tell the league you were drunk, or just you? If he told the league that, you need to correct that, and fast.
    No, he just told me that in private messaging. He was swearing at me so I put him on blast in the main chat for everyone to see. Sure, maybe a little bit high-school-ish or childish but I did what I did lol. He wasn't happy I made this thread either. Told me not to message him regarding this matter anymore. He frequently reads the forum.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

No, he just told me that in private messaging. He was swearing at me so I put him on blast in the main chat for everyone to see. Sure, maybe a little bit high-school-ish or childish but I did what I did lol. He wasn't happy I made this thread either. Told me not to message him regarding this matter anymore. He frequently reads the forum.
    The fact that he frequently reads this forum should help him realize this deal shouldn't ruin the league.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Sage

Nothing wrong with this at all. Free market rules. Values are subjective. Your league must be a mess for other reasons if this mildly remarkable trade "ruins" it.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Glatt View Post
    Nothing wrong with this at all. Free market rules. Values are subjective. Your league must be a mess for other reasons if this mildly remarkable trade "ruins" it.
    Exactly, I'd hate to see a trade that is actually "league changing" occur... The commish would have a stroke by the sounds of it..
    16 Team - Keep 5 - H2H Points
    Start: 2C/2LW/2RW/4D/2G - 4Bench
    G/A(1.25) STP(1.5) GWG(3) SOG(0.25) H(0.2) Blks(0.25) +/-(0.25) PIM(0.1) FOW(0.1)

C: Malkin, Kopitar, Hartman, Johansen
    LW: Ovechkin, Pacioretty, Barbashev (C)
    RW: Rust, Mangiapane (LW), Rodrigues (LW)
    D: DeAngelo, Karlsson, Faulk, Morrisey, Myers
    G: A. Forsberg, Price, Reimer, Holtby

The Great One

Sent a message to your league noting that your six first round picks are up for grabs. I'm curious to see if you can't find a better offer or not. If you can't, that pretty much answers the question. I'm assuming the Comish doesn't also have the power to prevent you from shopping your assets? lol

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    Sent a message to your league noting that your six first round picks are up for grabs. I'm curious to see if you can't find a better offer or not. If you can't, that pretty much answers the question. I'm assuming the Comish doesn't also have the power to prevent you from shopping your assets? lol
    I had them on the trade block I believe for about a week but with only 3-4 other active managers, offers were scarce to come by. This was the first offer really, and knowing me I'm a sucker to make a deal if it's put in-front of me lol.