Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Commish thinks my deal could ruin the league ...

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: Commish thinks my deal could ruin the league ...

Bottom line: it doesn't matter what the commish thinks.

As long as there's no collusion, the trade should go through

for what it's worth- I don't think it's going to ruin the league

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by ShawneePanthers View Post
    Bottom line: it doesn't matter what the commish thinks.

As long as there's no collusion, the trade should go through

for what it's worth- I don't think it's going to ruin the league
    If his commish has the power to veto (which it sounds like he does), then his opinion matters quite a bit.

And FWIW, I've seen leagues fall apart because there wasn't a mechanism to prevent league-destroying trades.

Dobber Sports Stud

I know this isn't the point of the thread but I wonder what you could have got EK for when he was written off by everyone until he woke up from his funk...

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by SergeP View Post
    Nowhere near a league ruiner. Picks are always over-valued in dynasty leagues, I joke with friends that I can get twice as much in return for say the 8th pick in the draft than I can get for the player drafted 8th overall 3 months later.

You just got a generational talent and the guy who has, by far, the highest ceiling of any Dman in your format, without giving up an actual assets. There's a better than 50% chance that none of the picks you traded play a single minute in the NHL next season. There's also a better than 50% chance that Erik Karlsson outscores the next highest scoring Dman by 10+ points next season. So yeah, the trade makes sense.
    Generational talents are not drafted 10th overall.

The deal does not seem like a league breaker to me. I'd tell the Commish to pull his head in.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I'm good with the trade so long as the team trading away the picks STAYS in the league for the duration of the picks traded away.
    I have been in (several) leagues where a team trades away all their draft picks for veterans to go for a title... then loses the title... then leaves the league.
    "It's within the rules" - people say.

And yes, leaving a team in bad shape can ruin a league - because typically nobody wants to take over an aging team with no draft picks.
    One team does this... league might be OK.
    But then another team catches on and does this... 2/12 teams do this... league starts hurting.
    [One could point to the commissioner & league set-up and say "Well, if they didn't want that to happen they should expose so many rounds of available draft picks". But, IMO, it's still within the capacity of all of us to leave a fantasy team in good shape for a future owner, if we bail. It's "bush league", IMO, to trade away future picks and then leave the league. Similar to leaving your trash or... national deficit... to a future generation.)

So... just be sure you are committed to this league when you trade away all your picks.
    Tell the commissioner that - and everybody should be good to go.

(Don't you dare walk away from this league though... because I'd expect the commissioner to come back and bump this thread...)

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Wedgy View Post
    Generational talents are not drafted 10th overall.

The deal does not seem like a league breaker to me. I'd tell the Commish to pull his head in.
    Remind me what Karlsson's draft position was again?

For the record, I was referring to Karlsson with both statements, as in "Erik Karlsson is a generational talent and the guy with the highest points ceiling". Bouchard is a nice prospect but I'm nowhere close to calling him anything more than that at this point.
    16 GM Dynasty
    H2H Points
    Weekly Matchups w/ Starts: 12F/6D/2G
    G(3), A(2), +/-(0.1), Hit(0.1), SOG(0.1), BS(0.1), PPP(1), SHP(1)
    W(4), L(-2), SO(4), Sv(0.2), GA(-1)

F: A. Svechnikov, R. Thomas, N. Suzuki, Pastrnak, Boldy, J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Frost, Tolvanen, Drouin, Heinen, Gallagher, N. Ritchie, Wood, Poehling, Podkolzin

D: Makar, Fox, Dobson, Byram, Dahlin, Ferraro, Michael Stone

G Sorokin, Hart, Georgiev, DeSmith

Farm: Firkus, Kayumov, Heimosalmi, Brennan, Werner, Kvaca, Parik

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    I'm good with the trade so long as the team trading away the picks STAYS in the league for the duration of the picks traded away.
    I have been in (several) leagues where a team trades away all their draft picks for veterans to go for a title... then loses the title... then leaves the league.

And yes, leaving a team in bad shape can ruin a league - because typically nobody wants to take over an aging team with no draft picks.
    But then another team catches on and does this... 2/12 teams do this... league starts hurting.
    [One could point to the commissioner & league set-up and say "Well, if they didn't want that to happen they should expose so many rounds of available draft picks". But, IMO, it's still within the capacity of all of us to leave a fantasy team in good shape for a future owner, if we bail. It's "bush league", IMO, to trade away future picks and then leave the league. Similar to leaving your trash or... national deficit... to a future generation.)

So... just be sure you are committed to this league when you trade away all your picks.

(Don't you dare walk away from this league though... because I'd expect the commissioner to come back and bump this thread...)
    I agree... I have been in a league that if you trade away any future round draft picks... you have to pay the entry fee for that year before the trade will be executed.

So if your league is $20 bucks entry fee.

And you trade away your 2019, 2020 and 2021 first round pick... then you must pay $60 worth of entry fees before the trade will be finalized.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Monster

All good points stated. No I'm not going anywhere. Thanks for your input pengwin.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by StuntMan12 View Post
    No.

There is a chance none of the (3) picks become a top 3 pick. I figured the other 3 picks are late first round picks who will be equal to lesser value than the 5 or so worst prospects of my team to begin with. I think it was a good deal for my team, maybe I'm wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by audiopile View Post
    Well, were you drunk?
    Was the Commish drunk lol
    SOME POOL RULES. Points only (G-1, A-1). One year Hybrid Pool. 3 round draft with balance of roster selected from any undrafted NHLer.. 19F 4 D 2 Rooks SALARIES AND POSITIONS DO NOT MATTER (other than being a F or D). NO Inter-Team Trading, Bench or Minors. Our WAIVER WIRE is ANY player in the NHL who is not Drafted in our league's 3 round draft. Each manager gets 6 ADD/DROPS (TRADES) for the year...any player on roster can be TRADED for any unDrafted F/D/R from ANY NHL team. INJURY RULE "IR". A hurt player can be replaced by another F/D from HIS NHL team and this is NOT considered a trade.. Injured player can be put back on team any time.

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by everfeb View Post
    Was the Commish drunk lol
    I asked him that and he said no lol.

The Great One

While I agree with the content of this post, I don't think it applies to the OP. The OP is trading 6 first round picks, all from this upcoming draft. In return for a superstar (Karlsson) and a great prospect. And he's doing it because he already has a very strong farm team, so he's essentially just trying to use all these picks he's acquired to consolidate talent.

In a sense, the veto is probably going to hurt the OP. If he drafts 6 players this year, and drops 6 from his farm, will he really be that much ahead?