Thread: Now that's a slash!

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Now that's a slash!

https://mobile.twitter.com/Sportsnet...a.yahoo.com%2F

Glad no digits were between those sticks!
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Administrator

Default Re: Now that's a slash!

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

The Great One

It wasn't a slash in the old days. As long as it was stick on stick, it was fine...

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    It wasn't a slash in the old days. As long as it was stick on stick, it was fine...
    It's like masks for goalies. In the old days, they just got in the way of seeing the puck. As long as no on raised the puck, it was fine...
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports All-Star

Im surprised the refs caught that.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by MZac View Post
    It's like masks for goalies. In the old days, they just got in the way of seeing the puck. As long as no on raised the puck, it was fine...
    I do not think there was ever that sentiment with goalie masks. If you want to try to be sarcastic, a more useful comparison would be mandatory visors. At least that argument would make sense.

I also don't recall anything terrible happening from stick on stick action. But I'm sure you have a point somewhere....

Dobber Sports Sage

I do not think there was ever that sentiment with goalie masks. If you want to try to be sarcastic, a more useful comparison would be mandatory visors. At least that argument would make sense.

I also don't recall anything terrible happening from stick on stick action. But I'm sure you have a point somewhere....
    My point is that stick on stick is fine as long as no one accidentally or on purpose hits fingers/hands/wrist. Just like a goalie playing with no mask is fine so long as no one accidentally or on purpose raises the puck and hits him in the face. I thought it was obvious.

When a player tomahawks at another guys stick from behind and hits the stick near the hands, there is the risk that he will miss and injure that player in a way that could end his season.

You consistently drop arrogant and sarcastic comments on here, don't give it out if you can't take it.

Forwards:

Defense:

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Administrator

My point is that stick on stick is fine as long as no one accidentally or on purpose hits fingers/hands/wrist. Just like a goalie playing with no mask is fine so long as no one accidentally or on purpose raises the puck and hits him in the face. I thought it was obvious.

When a player tomahawks at another guys stick from behind and hits the stick near the hands, there is the risk that he will miss and injure that player in a way that could end his season.

You consistently drop arrogant and sarcastic comments on here, don't give it out if you can't take it.
    ...or remove part of a finger, which has already happened.

The Great One

Your point is clearer now (that you've stated it); it wasn't at all clear (to me) based on the example you gave. But it's still a bit weird to me, because "stick on stick" is not really fine anymore, because a slashing penalty is pretty much always called if you break the other player's stick. That was never a problem in the old days, with wooden sticks. But nowadays, with people playing with composite sticks, it seems like even a little whack on the stick can cause these sticks to explode. That's why I can't really get into automatic slashing penalties for stick on stick taps. (Obviously, Im not calling the video in the OP a stick tap)….

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    ...or remove part of a finger, which has already happened.

Twice within the last year. Crosby took Methot's finger tip off last March and Haula did the same to Orpik in the Cup final.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Lol... that's a penalty in any game I've ever watched.

10th year Keeper League, Fantrax

14 teams, H2H, keep 10, daily starts
    G (3), A (2), +/- (1), PIM (0.1), PPP (1), FOW (0.1), FOL (-0.1), BLK (0.5), HAT (3), W (5), SO (3), SV (0.1), GA (-0.5)

C (3) - Schmaltz (LW, RW), Mercer (RW), Norris (IR), Domi (LW), T. Johnson (RW), Nosek (LW)
    LW (3) - Keller (RW), Hagel, McCann (C), Zacha (LW), Kubalik (RW), N. Foligno (IR)
    RW (3) - Fiala (LW), Vilardi (C), Ehlers (LW), Kakko
    D (4) - Theodore, Orlov, Grzelcyk, T. van Riemsdyk, Clifton, Skjei, Weegar
    Util (1)
    G (1) - Montembault, Allen, Halak

Dobber Sports Titan

Funny, it wouldn't even be a penalty. He slashes, Calgary scores, no penalty. He slashes, Calgary doesn't score, but since he's on a breakaway and it's an EN a goal would be awarded.

Yandle could have broken Monahan's wrist and nothing really would have happened. Maybe a phone call after the game tho....Actually, why isn't this being demanded to be looked at by the league? This has the potential to be way worse than some of the 2-game suspension things this yr
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Yandle could have broken Monahan's wrist and nothing really would have happened. Maybe a phone call after the game tho....Actually, why isn't this being demanded to be looked at by the league? This has the potential to be way worse than some of the 2-game suspension things this yr
    Are you really that salty about Hyman?

Dobber Sports Titan

Are you really that salty about Hyman?
    Then the fines against Buff, Danault, and Sergachev. Buff did just as big of a slash on Gaudreau, but hit him. Isn't intent something anymore?

There's a clear crack down on head hits due to head injuries being a hot topic, but a broken wrist can be just as bad for a team as a hit to the head (head injuries are scary for it's possible after effects I know).
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Funny, it wouldn't even be a penalty. He slashes, Calgary scores, no penalty. He slashes, Calgary doesn't score, but since he's on a breakaway and it's an EN a goal would be awarded.

I agree. This should be suspendable just because of the optics. This play definitely does not belong in the game whether he injures the player or not. Luckly, Monahan wasn't injured but there was only one intent here and it was against the rules.