Thread: [Trade] Koekkoek to Chi, Rutta to Tampa

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default [Trade] Koekkoek to Chi, Rutta to Tampa

#Blackhawks acquire defenseman Slater Koekkoek and a fifth-round pick in 2019 from Tampa Bay for Jan Rutta and a 2019 seventh-round pick.

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: [Trade] Koekkoek to Chi, Rutta to Tampa

Koekkoek should get a better opportunity in Chicago compared to TB.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Veteran

Tampa needs cheap replacement D-men for next year, I'm surprised they moved on from Koekkoek this early. Rutta having already cleared waivers is some nice depth for the Lightning this year though.

Administrator

I'm sure TB will try to get Rutta re-signed this summer at a lower AAV, with the idea that signing for less means more opportunity to stick.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Sage

Rutta had a nice stretch last season but was dreadful this season. Obviously, he'll play a lot better with all of Tampa's talent.

This is a very nice trade for Chicago. Flip a 7th for a 5th and get a player that has a little potential. Rutta was done in Chicago.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I'm surprised they moved on from Koekkoek this early.
    Considering the opportunities he wasted and the ammount of guys who passed him on the depth chart over time (Dotchin, Sergachev, Cernak, Foote probably being the next) I'm surprised they held him for so long.
    I guess they'll give a shot to Cernak, Foote and Masin to be full-time NHLers next season, adding cheap alternatives like Rutta to avoid spending big money in a FA d-man.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Tampa needs cheap replacement D-men for next year, I'm surprised they moved on from Koekkoek this early. Rutta having already cleared waivers is some nice depth for the Lightning this year though.
    Koekkoek was in that time where TB was striking gold in the 3rd and 4th round lol. I know they drafted Vas in round 1 the same year as him but man....Forsberg went the pick after Koekkoek! Can you imagine?

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Koekkoek was in that time where TB was striking gold in the 3rd and 4th round lol. I know they drafted Vas in round 1 the same year as him but man....Forsberg went the pick after Koekkoek! Can you imagine?
    would love to know why the heck Forsberg slid so much that year and could you imagine if he was still a Cap ?

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    would love to know why the heck Forsberg slid so much that year and could you imagine if he was still a Cap ?
    Caps don't have the space for Forsberg. And was Forsberg, at 18, really THAT much better than Grigorenko? Trying to project 18 year old kids will always lead to outcomes like this. It's what makes the draft, and deep fantasy hockey leagues, so fun to me

Administrator

This happens whenever someone overachieves relative to his draft position. Although in this case Forsberg was picked later than projections, and since then he has played like the projections were right.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Wizard

Koekkoek was definitely a reach at No. 10. Sportsnet had him at No. 27, and their page also includes his other rankings: No. 23 by NHL’s Central Scouting (among North American skaters), No. 21 ISS, No. 21 Red Line Report, No. 22 McKeen’s Hockey

And Forsberg was a big faller in the draft. Sportsnet had him at No. 4 and his other rankings were: No. 1 by NHL’s Central Scouting (among European skaters), No. 2 ISS, No. 2 Red Line Report, No. 3 by McKeen’s Hockey

Those independent scouts appeared to be more correct about these two than actual NHL teams. But obviously that happens sometimes, and there are plenty of cases where it's been the exact opposite.

Dobber Sports Guru

Is Cernak full-time now?

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by ultrawhiteness View Post
    Is Cernak full-time now?
    Yes and no. He should stay up with the Lightning but will continue to rotate in and out of the lineup for the remainder of the season barring injury. I'm betting on him playing a big part of the Lightnings D next year.

The Great One

Back in 2012, I was at a Petes game (back when Koekkoek played for them), and Stu MacGregor was sitting next to me. I asked about the idea of drafting Yakupov first overall, and he said they were considering it, but another player they really liked was Slater Koekkoek. He said their staff felt like Koekkoek was the best dman in the draft.

Obviously Stu and his staff were wrong (big surprise), but it does show that at least one other team was high on Koekkoek as well that year.

Koekkoek was a big kid, decent skater for his size, and projected to be an impact dman in the NHL. That year, he was coming off a major injury that forced him to miss half the season. Teams were not sure what they had in Koekkoek, which is why he was ranked differently than where he was eventually drafted. Some teams felt that if he had played a full season, he would have been ranked higher.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98