Thread: Is it normal to screw over rookies in keeper leagues?

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Is it normal to screw over rookies in keeper leagues?

I'm considering a return to Fantasy Baseball after a long absence, and a return to a keeper league for the first time in a quarter-century. I remember how hard it was to build a team from scratch in a keeper league when most of the best players were locked up in great contracts.

So i was invited into this 12-team NL keeper league for the 2019 season and it starts out well -- the 3 new teams can draft up to 15 players from the 3 disbanded teams. And there are some decent values there.

But here's the rub. At the end of year one, new franchises can only protect 7 players for the 2020 season, whereas established teams can protect 15.

This reminds me of a hazing ritual. What is the point of entering a league to build a healthy franchise if you really have to "pay your dues" for two years before you can truly compete? And how can you charge people the same entry fee but have uneven rules?

Is this normal?

Someone in the league said it's not so bad, i could do a bunch of two-for-one deals to get 7 good players, and i could also accumulate minor league draft picks. But i am not sure about this. Teams would know i have to make 2-for-1s and would have leverage over me.

They won't change the rule for me, since everyone had to go through the hazing. But i'm just wondering if this is routine, or if I'm justified in saying this is ridiculous and i want no part of it.
    Non-keeper 11-team auction league with 5 active forwards, two D. Points only (G=1, A=1)

The world does not judge actions on their own merit, but on their chance results, and they consider that only those actions which are blessed with a happy outcome have been undertaken with sound advice and reason
    -- Boethius

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: Is it normal to screw over rookies in keeper leagues?

This sounds pretty "Old Boys Club" to me. I think you are correct in having your guard up. If all teams start the season with 15 players then why should the season end with the three newest teams only keeping 7 each?
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

The Great One

I think it's fairly normal to screw rookies in leagues, but usually the screwing over is in making them draft from a crappy pool of players. Setting rules to screw them well into the future...I guess they are following the NBA model for expansion into Canada. I'd want no part of that league myself.

Dobber Sports Star

My experience is that leagues usually give roster breaks to incoming owners because the new guy is usually taking on a terrible team and needs an incentive to suffer, lest the league operate without a full slate of owners. Making a new person "pay his dues" seems like a perpetuating machine designed by an old-boys-club to take money and effectively keep at least one franchise out of contention forever.

Dobber Sports Sage

I'd find another league myself.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Pro

No way do I join that league.
    HTH Daily League, 8 teams, (goals, ppp, +/-, assists, SOG, W, GAA, SV%) keepers in Bold.

C (s3) EP40, ​Trocheck, Marchessault LW, Horvat

LW (s3) Johnny Hockey, Parise, Terivinen RW, Meier RW
    RW(s3) Wheeler C, Taresenko, Atkinson, Gallagher
    Until(s1)

D (s4) Carlson, Yandle, Jones, Trouba

G Dubnyk, Rittich, Markstrom, Binnington

IR Ehlers, Hall

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Garbage league and likely why there are 3 disbanded teams.

Dobber Sports Immortal

I would not stay in that league. That doesn't even make logical sense. A new team should be able to keep more if anything!

Dobber Sports Padawan

thanks guys. I will tell them to take a hike...I think i would find it galling accumulating players, making great picks, and then having to let some of them go.
    Non-keeper 11-team auction league with 5 active forwards, two D. Points only (G=1, A=1)

The world does not judge actions on their own merit, but on their chance results, and they consider that only those actions which are blessed with a happy outcome have been undertaken with sound advice and reason
    -- Boethius

Dobber Sports Grand Master

It's normal for expansion type scenarios to have some restricted rules, but that's sort of crazy to have there be that big a restriction going forward.

I'd also ignore the league.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Titan

That's dumb. Join the league, voice how it's dumb the 7 vs 15 keeper rule, and if they stick to the 7 keepers, trade for a 1yr run, then just leave the league.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    That's dumb. Join the league, voice how it's dumb the 7 vs 15 keeper rule, and if they stick to the 7 keepers, trade for a 1yr run, then just leave the league.
    Lol I like it! It's like they don't even want to keep someone in that spot. Bizarre

Dobber Sports Padawan

Commish just told me they're dropping the rule this year, so all good.

-- Boethius

The Great One

Glad it worked out for you. It's a good sign that the league realizes their rules for recruiting are just plain silly.